Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Hoping to find someone that can lead us in the right direction!

I have a 2010 Honda Pilot EXL (150,000 miles). A couple of days ago I was idling in the garage for a few minutes when I got an awful screaching/grinding noise. It would start, go quiet for a second and then do it again. I turned it off for awhile. I then started it again for my husband to diagnose and it did it again when the radiator fan would kick on......and then started smoking. So we assumed the motor needed replacing. The fan itself is spinning freely and doesn't seem to be the problem. Last night we replaced the motor (only) after the car had been sitting a couple of days. When we went to start it and try it the battery (brand new) was completely and utterly dead. We jumped and it took a long while to charge enough to start. Eventually the car started and after running for about 5 minutes I was watching the fan and it appeared to be working properly. It ran for at least 1-2 (maybe more) minutes and started screeching/grinding again like the old motor. I immediately turned the car off again. Fast forward to this morning....the battery is completely and utterly dead again. So I guess I have 2 questions......could the two be related?? What could the problem be with the fan motor since we replaced, it worked and then happened again? What could be draining the brand new battery so completely.

Very confusing....thank you if you followed along! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also...the air conditioning fan/motor seem to be performing fine.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
To see if the fan is draining your battery you could unplug the fan in question, fully charge the battery, then let the Pilot sit overnight. If the battery still gets drained it will tell you the power draw is coming from somewhere else.
It is possible you got a bad replacement fan motor. You could see if you can exchange it. If the same thing happens with the third fan motor it points to an issue with the fan.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I wonder if the problem is a bad alternator? A dead battery and intermittent noise are both indicators. Try fully charging the battery and then having an auto store check the alternator for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think we finally solved our problem! I will leave it here in case anyone is searching in the future because we stumped everyone with this one including the Honda dealer.

So after all that the smoke was not coming from the cooling fan motor......but from the air compressor relief. It turned out that the relay for the compressor clutch was stuck on causing the cooling system to reach too high a pressure while idling. The screeching/grinding was the clutch slipping at this too high pressure. The battery draining was due to the compressor clutch relay stuck on constantly even when the engine was shut off.

We replaced several relays but believe the culprit was the Air Compressor Clutch Relay.

I also have a new cooling fan motor....as an added bonus. :O :)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. I’m sure the members on this forum would have been able to help figure it out had we been provided the correct symptoms.😃

1 - 5 of 5 Posts