Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Radiator fan issue

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  big shrek 
#1 ·
ok, 2009 Touring model again...
the passenger's side radiator fan popped off and forwards, .
striking the radiator and putting a small hole in it.
So...how hard are these to remove?

Recently had to replace same on my 2006 Pontiac van courtesy of a small squirrel,
so I'm hoping it's about equal in difficulty or easier

#3 ·
you're lucky it failed that way rather than with a strawberry milkshake

You have to pull off the whole bumper, which is fairly easy once all the clips and a few screws are removed. There's a number of little M6-1 bolts holding on the fans and the steel portion of the trans cooler lines, these usually rust out badly and are impossible to remove. I was able to lift out the whole radiator assembly out once I disconnected all the electrical, water and ATF lines, and deal with the rusty bolts on the bench. Overall not a bad job, typical for radiator on modern vehicle, but with a little weird ATF line configuration. Good luck!

#4 ·
From the look of things, I might be able to get away with simply pulling the fans off
and doing a little upside-down brazing on the pinhole leak. Then re-installing new fans.
Unplugged the passenger side, but the driver's side is making a lot more noise than
I'd like to hear out of it...sounds like it's going to go soon as well, so both fans are
definitely going to get replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.