Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I’m hoping some one can let me know how this can happen. My wife‘s 09 Pilot overheated and smoke came out of the engine. mechanic called me today to tell me the radiator fan blades broke into pieces and made a hole in the radiator. How is that possible? Has this happen to anyone else?
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've had it happen on a U-Haul truck and while I don't think this type of failure is common, it does happen now and then. If a fan blade breaks, you've got a lot of sharp high speed metal flailing around right next to the radiator. The mechanic's explanation is certainly plausible.

- Mark

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Hi Everyone, I’m hoping some one can let me know how this can happen. My wife‘s 09 Pilot overheated and smoke came out of the engine. mechanic called me today to tell me the radiator fan blades broke into pieces and made a hole in the radiator. How is that possible? Has this happen to anyone else?
Thanks,
Brian
Pictures would help us comment more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
  • Thanks for the replies, so I must have misunderstood the mechanic. The fan did not break into pieces. It separated from the collar that’s attached to the shaft. And I guess the fan spinning against the radiator damaged the fins. I’m not going to fix it now, because the mechanic quoted me almost $2000. That was to replace the radiator, fans and a wheel bearing that need to be changed. I would have done it, but her ac compressor went to crap. And I need to get her tires. So I had it towed to my garage and will have it there til I figure out what we’ll do with it. Wife’s got a rental now but we’re going shopping for another pilot this weekend. She doesn’t like the new design
    , and so expensive, so we’re going with the same body type. Pics attached. Btw, is it hard to change the radiator on a 2009?
    979F825B-94BB-43AC-BC1C-4E5690194A91.jpeg
    979F825B-94BB-43AC-BC1C-4E5690194A91.jpeg
    36240E04-618D-4CC1-B990-AE77DBA4F042.jpeg
    AB3C976D-024A-413C-8D4C-2A7B661F0E4E.jpeg

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
  • Thanks for the replies, so I must have misunderstood the mechanic. The fan did not break into pieces. It separated from the collar that’s attached to the shaft. And I guess the fan spinning against the radiator damaged the fins. I’m not going to fix it now, because the mechanic quoted me almost $2000. That was to replace the radiator, fans and a wheel bearing that need to be changed. I would have done it, but her ac compressor went to crap. And I need to get her tires. So I had it towed to my garage and will have it there til I figure out what we’ll do with it. Wife’s got a rental now but we’re going shopping for another pilot this weekend. She doesn’t like the new design View attachment 136898 , and so expensive, so we’re going with the same body type. Pics attached. Btw, is it hard to change the radiator on a 2009? View attachment 136898 View attachment 136898 View attachment 136899 View attachment 136900
No, it's not hard at all, (Youtube videos👍) This and a wheel bearing shouldn't cost that much.
Radiator and both cooling fans should cost no more than $250 from Rockauto with shipping. And thats buying the good stuff. You may just need one fan or 2? If 1, your price is less than $250.
If your in a hurry, (because of paying for a rental) aftermarket parts at AutoZone or Oreilly etc, Is a little more expensive, but not $2000 expensive.
If possible, buy Denso Radiator.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. But I have yet to find a video for my generation Pilot. I see plenty for the previous body type, all I can find is how to remove the grill/bumper.
Do you know of a YouTuber that has this generation (2009) Pilot changing a radiator?
I got a few prequlification auto loan from lenders. I should have a car by monday. I just hate buying a car in a hurry.
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
The top plastics only need to come off. Then the cooling fans. After the fans are out, you disconect your radiator hoses, transmission lines and remove radiator. Really simple. You will have to remove your old thermostat screwed into the radiator at the bottom, and install in your new radiator.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Radiator is usually only a couple bolts and sits on some rubber bushings. Fan motors Bolton as well. I'd change out the upper and lower hoses as well. It might have a trans cooler at the bottom and u might need to drain some trans fluid and add after the swap. Shod be surprisingly easy just time consuming your first time

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I’ll try to remove the radiator and fans without removing the grill. I subscribed to Alldatadiy and it says remove front grille. Thanks!
D151611C-CF1B-46DC-AEEA-222CD0F33118.jpeg

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Ok, I’ll try to remove the radiator and fans without removing the grill. I subscribed to Alldatadiy and it says remove front grille. Thanks! View attachment 136903
Oops, I think I know why they want you to remove grille, I believe the A.C. Condenser is mounted to the radiator from the front side. Sorry

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahh, ok. So I guess I'll have to eventually plan a full weekend for the radiator and the fans, maybe 2 weekends cause I'll do the compressor, too! I don't want spend too much on an AC compressor, I'm debating on buying a used or reman.
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,510 Posts
While you’re in there changing out the upper and lower radiator hoses, you might consider replacing the thermostat and its gasket. If the job is similar to a 2005 Pilot then it’s just tedious, since so many parts need to be removed, but it’s not too difficult. Take lots of photos along the way and label each set of bolts/fasteners that you remove so you know where they go upon reassembly.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I don't want spend too much on an AC compressor, I'm debating on buying a used or reman
Not a job I’d like to repeat all the steps. When I did the a/c last summer for my Avalon I got a new Denso and had no problems then and now.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Sorry for your troubles. Please keep us up to date. Will be glad to help with part recommendations or any questions you have.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate everyone's response. Haven't found a pilot yet in the DC area that's a decent price. Actually saw one in Atlanta that I'll show my wife. I've been stuck working from home but she drives to work; maybe we can make a trip out of it. She wanted to go to Nags Head and beach driving in Cape Hatteras in spring but everything was closed.
I'll let everyone know when I start working on my wife's Pilot, I'm sure I'll have questions, but I'll do searches first.
Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Many years ago, back in the late '60s, early 70s, I had a Dodge I had bought used. One night I was returning home from being out having a few beers. I heard a loud noise and the car started shaking. I pulled over and turned the engine off. I got out to take a look and noticed a hole, a slot, in the middle of the front of the hood. I opened the hood and discovered one of the fan blades had broken in half and flown through the hood. The hole was directly over the radiator hose. How the piece of fan blade missed cutting the hose, I'll never know.

That was back when Dodge/Chrysler had very long warranties and the repair and hood damage were covered by the warranty. That was a strange experience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update:
Hi Everyone, so my wife didn’t want to buy a newer pilot. I bought everything I needed from Napa, but they gave me the wrong fan. But luckily I found a used shroud and fan about an hour from my house yesterday (started Saturday). I finished today, everything is working fine except her front ac. Rear works great, just the front blows warm air. I’m thinking an expansion valve for the front evaporator cause the pipe that goes to the rear is cold and the pipes that branch off to the front evaporator are warm. I’ll search the forum and see if anyone has had the same problem. I would have loved to make a write up, but it may have been a weeks long job of me working on her suv. But I did use alldatadiy, I don’t know if I can upload the pdf sheets. Thanks to all!
Brian

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Update:
Hi Everyone, so my wife didn’t want to buy a newer pilot. I bought everything I needed from Napa, but they gave me the wrong fan. But luckily I found a used shroud and fan about an hour from my house yesterday (started Saturday). I finished today, everything is working fine except her front ac. Rear works great, just the front blows warm air. I’m thinking an expansion valve for the front evaporator cause the pipe that goes to the rear is cold and the pipes that branch off to the front evaporator are warm. I’ll search the forum and see if anyone has had the same problem. I would have loved to make a write up, but it may have been a weeks long job of me working on her suv. But I did use alldatadiy, I don’t know if I can upload the pdf sheets. Thanks to all!
Brian
👏 Glad you saved the Pilot!

Sometimes the blend door gets stuck on these Honda's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, messed around with some stuff by the drivers kick plate but nothing. Where else can I look?
But I did find this article from Amave17, I’ll check this out, too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts