Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to installing a radar detector and Thinkware dual camera dash camera this past weekend. '18 Pilot Elite. I used to do car installs in high school, so it was kind of fun to dust off the 30 year old skills! I used two add-a-fuse pieces for both the constant power and ignition switched power. Both are connected to the fuse panel under the driver side dash. There are several open slots from the factory, I utilized those. The most complicated part of the install was running the USB cable from the front to the rear of the vehicle. I used a metal fish tape with no hook on the end and removed the two courtesy lights along hte driver side ceiling to "connect the dots" as I fished from one hole to the other. I removed all the interior rear hatch panels to secure the cable to the factory wire harness and routed the cable through the factory rubber tubing between hatch/vehicle body in order to maintain the weatherproof seal. I have attached a few pictures showing some details and the final install.

Attachments

·
Registered
597 Posts
I came across this install after you posted the link in another thread. I have the same camera but my install went a little differently. My question is about the parking mode. have you had any issues with it not working using the fuse location you chose to tap into? That's the only I have come across so far. My parking mode will not work. I haven't taken the time to try fix it yet because it's cold out and my 3 kids keep me busy!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I came across this install after you posted the link in another thread. I have the same camera but my install went a little differently. My question is about the parking mode. have you had any issues with it not working using the fuse location you chose to tap into? That's the only I have come across so far. My parking mode will not work. I haven't taken the time to try fix it yet because it's cold out and my 3 kids keep me busy!
No issues with parking mode. You need to enable it in the software settings on the camera, there is also a "voltage monitor" that will turn the camera off when the battery voltage drops to whatever the set level is. The camera and radar detector will stay in "powered on" mode until I open the driver door, just the way that accessory fuse location works. the camera switches to parking mode after 15 to 30 seconds.

·
Registered
597 Posts
No issues with parking mode. You need to enable it in the software settings on the camera, there is also a "voltage monitor" that will turn the camera off when the battery voltage drops to whatever the set level is. The camera and radar detector will stay in "powered on" mode until I open the driver door, just the way that accessory fuse location works. the camera switches to parking mode after 15 to 30 seconds.

Thanks I will give your location a try. I have everything turned on but wont seem to work.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Cotis,
What mount is that for the V1 that attaches with the dot matrix. Any noticeable loss of detection due to being placed behind the dots? I just recall that the V1 instructions always called for up high but open front and back for clearest view possible.

In my Sonata the suction cups are on my extra windshield strip and V1 hangs just below.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Cotis,
What mount is that for the V1 that attaches with the dot matrix. Any noticeable loss of detection due to being placed behind the dots? I just recall that the V1 instructions always called for up high but open front and back for clearest view possible.

In my Sonata the suction cups are on my extra windshield strip and V1 hangs just below.
Not sure this install or mine can help you. We both installed thinkware f800 pro not the V1

·
Registered
302 Posts

If you use Auto High Beams, this placement of units may cause problems. The sensor for the auto high beams is on the back of rear view mirror on the driver side. Might be better to mount the dash cam on the passenger side.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts

If you use Auto High Beams, this placement of units may cause problems. The sensor for the auto high beams is on the back of rear view mirror on the driver side. Might be better to mount the dash cam on the passenger side.
Not sure about the 17 or 18 Pilot, but on my 19, the sensor on the rear view mirror is definitely on the passenger side.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Not sure about the 17 or 18 Pilot, but on my 19, the sensor on the rear view mirror is definitely on the passenger side.

2017 Pilot and Ridgeline its on the driver side. Good Honda must have wised up on the 2019.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not sure this install or mine can help you. We both installed thinkware f800 pro not the V1
Cotis has a Valantine 1 radar detector mounted above his thinkware camera. I just don't see any suction cups on his mount.

Also all my past cars had the dot matrix on the glass surface making it so window tint or suction cups didn't stick great. The 19 pilot at least the dot matrix is inside the layers, the interior is smooth so suction cups will stick. Just not sure I want to block the sensitivity.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Cotis has a Valantine 1 radar detector mounted above his thinkware camera. I just don't see any suction cups on his mount.

Also all my past cars had the dot matrix on the glass surface making it so window tint or suction cups didn't stick great. The 19 pilot at least the dot matrix is inside the layers, the interior is smooth so suction cups will stick. Just not sure I want to block the sensitivity.
Yes my mistake forgot about the radar up there. I was thinking of the dash cam with that name! I'm not sure how its mounted but at least my eacort they recommended putting them towards the bottom of the windshield. At least that's how I understood it. I use a larger suction cup vs what it came with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I got this mount off Amazon, search for "V3M valentine". It is basically a 1/4" aluminum bar with two tapped holes. The double sided tape sticks to the dot matrix area with no problems (clean first).

Sensitivity of the radar detector has not diminished a single bit. I had used a Valentine One for 15 years and been driving in the same city (same radar traps) and it works just fine where it is.

I don't use the "auto high beam" feature, but I have also had it one accidentally and did not notice any negative operation even with the the camera system mounted where it is. I believe the sensor can still "see" enough light difference between a dark road and one with headlights coming at you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts