Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my rack and pinion replaced in December by our formerly trusted shop (new mechanic, though). Since then, I get 1.5 turns left but 2.25 to the right (and right tire hits frame when turned full-right). I surmise mechanic didn’t center the rack before installing it and need him to do it again (not on my bill) to correctly complete the repair I paid $1,900 for.
What else could it be? Is there another solution besides redoing the repair? Am I wrong thinking this repair should be free since the original wasn’t done correctly?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
IMO if the formerly trusted shop is worthy for new business and good reviews they should honor the repair request but why did you wait so long to complicate matters?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMO if the formerly trusted shop is worthy for new business and good reviews they should honor the repair request but why did you wait so long to complicate matters?
Totally fair question. I took it back in late January but hadn’t figured out exactly what was wrong — just that it wasn’t right — and he removed the brake cover, suggesting that the noise of the tire hitting the frame was actually the brake cover. Obviously didn’t work. Have missed each other multiple times because of work hours that conflict; he had called out today when I stopped by (and was gone after half-day on Saturday, when that was the earliest I could get there).
I also only just recently was able to quantify the difference in the amount I could turn the wheel each way.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
Just go back and address your concerns in a non confrontational way. They will probably want to drive it. If they are a good shop they’ll fix their mistake, IF it is related to replacing the rack and pinion.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
Yes, always start politely and giving them a face-saving out to do the right thing. Then take it from there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts