Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I entered an ice rally on a frozen lake in my '05 LX. Considering the Pilot's 4wd system is not always on, are there considerations against sticking it in 2nd and locking VTM-4, aside from the diff possibly overheating? I know it would likely wreck the diff at high speeds on-road, but i assume the car will have constant wheel slip, so locking the rear might be ok. Also curious if anyone understands how the 4wd kicks in at higher speeds. I know all four wheels get torque when accelerating hard like a predictive 4wd system, but does it react to wheel slip too?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
You need to research your AWD system because you clearly understand enough to be dangerous but not how this system actually works.

Sure, it could overheat with a lot of spinning but will likely shut itself down when the temperature gets too high.

VTM-4 lock is only effective at low speeds to get you off the line. Again, do your research.

Get yourself good tires, they will do more for you than the AWD system ever could. Just abusing the AWD system may be fine but could lead to issues since it wasn't designed for ice rallying but commuting in poor weather.

I'd definitely give your entire drivetrain fresh fluids before and after the event.

Have fun and post up some pictures.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Find somewhere safe to practice. As mentioned the vtm lock isn't going to do much for you unless speeds are very slow.

I find if I jump on the gas mid corner at slowish speeds the backend will kick out hard & you can then hold that slide briefly with power but it snaps back quickly which might be the power going back to the front.

You need somewhere open & empty to get a feel for it.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
I entered an ice rally on a frozen lake in my '05 LX. Considering the Pilot's 4wd system is not always on, are there considerations against sticking it in 2nd and locking VTM-4, aside from the diff possibly overheating? I know it would likely wreck the diff at high speeds on-road, but i assume the car will have constant wheel slip, so locking the rear might be ok. Also curious if anyone understands how the 4wd kicks in at higher speeds. I know all four wheels get torque when accelerating hard like a predictive 4wd system, but does it react to wheel slip too?
The VTM-4 system does react to wheel slip.
Keep in mind that the the VTM-4 Lock will unlock above 18 mph.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
when driving on ice you should be using tire chains ... keep the door open at all times in case you need to jump ... have bat ready with good friend after wards to knock some sense into you afterwards :p

·
Registered
292 Posts
I think the 18 mph limitation makes the whole idea of using VTM4 lock intractable unless your racing is slower than any racing I've ever seen.

- Mark

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Hey @atomri9008 ...be sure to post some pics and/or videos of the ice rally. As mentioned the VTM-LOCK will disengage @18mph but the predictive AWD system will re-engage automatically as needed or dictated by road conditions. Run some good winter tires like the Blizzak for optimum snow+ice performance. You can probably expect the trans or AWD system to overheat and limp into FWD mode. Last winter I've racked up several wins stop light-to-stop light on the icy roads and taken on a few vettes or hellcats or stangs that dared to come out that icy day. Pilot for the win!

·
Registered
3 Posts
winter end but come again soon

i have ridgeline and make to much test on rear clutch and i see here on pilot forum more people to talk

for snow and ice i started to send pulse at 10Hz to clutch with ucontroler and mosfet kit
i can disconnect vtm4 controler and send what i want to control rear

pulse in alternance seen good in snow you have rear torque and can turn curve better..
right on and left off for 70ms next right off left on 70ms

on curve external wheel can turn faster on OFF time and internal wheel turn slower on OFF time

i tested send small constant current and not good on snow

vtm4 in normal mode send torque on 2 wheel and react same as locked diff in snow and oversteer easy. VSA correct it with brake ABS but in race i thing you need to turn off VSA

vtm4 not work only in slip mode but work all the time except when cruising i put light in // with output and it send current when touch pedal or move 2mm and torque down when gear up

1 - 10 of 10 Posts