Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4/18/19
Is it possible to see the timing belt tensioner - or a portion of it - without removing the black plastic front engine covers first. ?

Can you get under the car and perhaps look above the oil filter and see any of it?

Can you see if it's leaking any fluid without removing the engine cover? Maybe you can get a finger on it and see if it gets oily.?

Thanks,
Keats
Arizona.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The back half of it is visible outside of the timing cover, but I'm not sure you could be 100% certain its not leaking.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The back half of it is visible outside of the timing cover, but I'm not sure you could be 100% certain its not leaking.

So the cover has an opening in it that allows the tensioner to stick out a bit. ?

If it were leaking, would the oil be visible ? Perhaps along the bottom side of the tensioner ?

I'm thinking that the oil would drip straight down (Gravity Rules) and accumulate inside the lower cover.

Any one got any ideas about this?

Thanks,
Keats.

·
Registered
243 Posts
So the cover has an opening in it that allows the tensioner to stick out a bit. ?

If it were leaking, would the oil be visible ? Perhaps along the bottom side of the tensioner ?

I'm thinking that the oil would drip straight down (Gravity Rules) and accumulate inside the lower cover.

Any one got any ideas about this?

Thanks,
Keats.
The timing cover goes over the tensioner. The back end of the tensioner is visible outside of the cover. You can see the bolts that hold it on. The piston end that leaks is inside of the cover. The timing cover has a gasket that keeps dirt/grim ect. out of the timing area. It is possible to see some oil on the outside of the timing cover if it is leaking, but if you don't see oil you can in no way say it's not leaking. They don't hold a ton of oil and most of the time when they leak they just look wet on the piston end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts