Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the Pilot's ground clearance is somewhat on the lower side, EVEN FOR SAFE USE IN MEDIUM DUTY OFF-ROAD APPLICATIONS, I was wondering whether there would be a problem if one installed larger tires??? .......... This is even more warranted because of the lack of skidplates and many vulnerable components hanging very dangerously close to the ground. Besides, Independent suspension systems lower the ground clearance even more when they compress. :eek:

The size I'm specifically referring to is: 245/75R-16 This size increases the tire diameter by 1.5 inches, thereby increasing ground clearance (or one side of the sidewall) by half that amount (0.75 inches).......effectively increasing MINIMUM RUNNING ground clearance from 7.1 inches to almost 8 inches.

Has anyone installed larger tires?? .....and if so has it caused any rubbing or other problems?? .......What is the largest possible size that can be fit??

All input is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Not sure what it'll do in terms of rubbing, but my guess is
it will drive your ABS computer nuts. And since VTM likely relies
on the same sensors for detecting slippage, your VTM will go
nuts as well. Are you planing to use the Pilot with the farming
attachments?

·
Registered
81 Posts
vicpai ... Why are you so concerned ... aren't you going to use your 4-Runner for the rock climbing?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Maybe a lift kit would serve you better?

·
Registered
395 Posts
kruzo said:
Are you planing to use the Pilot with the farming
attachments?
Is the Honda plow blade available as a DIO yet?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
banningjr said:
Maybe a lift kit would serve you better?
Maybe a HUMMER instead ... BIGFOOT or USA 1 may be for sale ...

:4:

PrG;)

·
Registered
919 Posts
I haven't looked at all into larger tires on the Pilot, but if I did, some of the questions I would be asking are:

*Does it affect stability (i.e. center of gravity)? I know it's only raising it up a bit, but I would still want to know.

*Does it affect the VTM4 logic?

*Does it affect the grade logic?

*Would there need to be suspension changes? (height adustments/beefy enough system to handle larger tires, etc)

I'm sure there are others, but those are just the ones I can think of. As far as any aftermarket accessories go, (skid plates, snow blade attachments, etc) I wouln't expect to see too much in the way of Pilot specific aftermarket parts. I can't see there being too much call for these types of parts for "crossover SUVs" such as the Pilot. I would expect that some trial & error with some universal fit equipment would be necessary. But then again, I was surprised to see a brushguard made for the Pilot, so who knows....

Good luck and be sure to post results if you do any detailed research.

Chris

·
Registered
664 Posts
Since the CR-V is similar has anyone seen a CR-V raised? I've seen them lowered but not raised. How about an MDX? It has the 17" rims out of the gate.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The owner of a local Dealer here in Hawaii has two Pilots. One has 17" rims and tires and the other has 19" rims. Maybe I can find out for you. Not today.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
banningjr said:
Since the CR-V is similar has anyone seen a CR-V raised? I've seen them lowered but not raised. How about an MDX? It has the 17" rims out of the gate.
GatorGreg, formerly of the X site and now over @ http://www.gocrvclub.org/ got bigger tires on his CRV almost immediately.

I believe he did a sidewall-height, like vic's suggesting, rather than a larger wheel. Keep in mind that the CRV doesn't have the VTM system, which like kruzo mentioned could be affected by a tire profile change. ABS wouldn't, however, since that just senses slippage.

I can' t think of anyone on the X site who has done a higher sidewall. Most of the wheel/tire changes have gone for bigger (18"-20" wheels) with the sidewall height maintained for speedo/VTM accuracy.

Vic - you might go surf the X site again and check for wheel/tire posts by RAIL. He went to 18's and had problems w/shimmy. I think they ultimately fixed it w/spacers, but there was a lot of back-and-forth re: whether it was a VTM malfunction as a result of the diff tire/wheel profile.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think it very unlikely that changes in tire sizes would affect the VTM-4 logic. It uses the ABS sensors to sense wheel slippage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First off, thanks everyone for the responses!

.........I was actually asking the question in reference to the '03 MDX I intend to get. Since tire choice for the 17" rims on the MDX is very limited, I had this wacky idea of getting 16" Pilot wheels.....and going from there etc......but I've decided to just keep it stock.

srpbep,
I sold the 4-Runner a couple months back :( and now intend to get the '03 MDX in a few months .......cause I want that voice-activated next-gen Navi reeaalll bad ........Just can't stop emphasizing how extremely excellent and superior to everything else out there Honda Navigation Systems are!!. However, I will be getting a 7yr/150K extended warranty on the X.

TheWorm,
just decided I don't want to deal with all those related issues (reliability/durability/mal-function side-effects to VTM-4, Transmission etc.). So will just stick with the stock tires, or at the most go one size larger (245/65/17) Cross Terrains, which is a very very slight increase in sidewall height.

......Only reason I wanted a little more ground clearance is the fact that I sometimes like to jump curbs every now and then, and sometimes like to go into the "wilderness", if you will, on light to moderate trails (nothing heavy-duty as rock climbing), but feel that some components on the underside of the MDX seem exposed and really vulnerable to damage :eek:

·
Registered
81 Posts
vicpai ... Who offers a 7yr / 150,000 mile warranty or did you mean 7yr / 100,000 mile warranty ??

ps ... sounds like the 03 X will have a lot of nice enhancements

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Srpbep, Yes......

srpbep said:
vicpai ... Who offers a 7yr / 150,000 mile warranty or did you mean 7yr / 100,000 mile warranty ??

ps ... sounds like the 03 X will have a lot of nice enhancements
......I did mean 7r/150K, but with a slight twist. Here's how: Currently www.warrantygold.com offers only a bumper-to-bumper 5yr/150K mile warranty on the MDX. However, the date of service starts the day you purchase the warranty. So if you get it 2 years after purchasing the MDX, it, in effect, becomes a 7yr term.......and BTW, the cost to purchase the warranty after 2 years (since the vehicle is still under factory warranty) is just very slightly more.

.....On a related note, I've also confirmed that in the event of a transmission failure :rolleyes: they will replace it with a NEW one, not a remanufactured unit like Acura does, UNLESS ACURA DOES NOT HAVE THIS IN PRODUCTION ANYMORE.

There is, however, another obstacle to this: California, where we live :rolleyes: , does not allow the sale of online warranty. However, if you have a friend living in another state and can use their street address you can obtain it (and that's what I'm gonna do)!

·
Registered
262 Posts
TheWorm said:
Keep in mind that the CRV doesn't have the VTM system, which like kruzo mentioned could be affected by a tire profile change. ABS wouldn't, however, since that just senses slippage.

Well, that would depend on how the ABS system is built.
I don't know how the Honda's (Bendex?) system is built,
do you? On a generic modern ABS I can give you at least 2 reasons
why a different wheel/tire combination then the OEM one will
cause the system to work differently. Then again, if you're
lucky, you may even like it.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
kruzo said:

Well, that would depend on how the ABS system is built.
I don't know how the Honda's (Bendex?) system is built,
do you? On a generic modern ABS I can give you at least 2 reasons
why a different wheel/tire combination then the OEM one will
cause the system to work differently. Then again, if you're
lucky, you may even like it.
Educate us! I'd be interested.

Actually, now that you're quoting my ABS comment, I think the proper way to phrase it is that the ABS system would sense a *lack of* slippage, huh?

·
Registered
262 Posts
TheWorm said:

Educate us! I'd be interested.

Actually, now that you're quoting my ABS comment, I think the proper way to phrase it is that the ABS system would sense a *lack of* slippage, huh?

Like I said, it all depends on how the control system for the ABS is
implemented. This is what it is -- an automatic control system, not
very different in principal then the climate control in your
house. There is a college course on Control Theory , after completing
which you begin to understand that there is a lot to it. But back to
ABS:

There are at least two variables that may affect the function of ABS:
the speed and the weight of the wheel.

On a basic ABS system, the algorithm (Proportional) is very simple -- you detect
wheel lock up (0 RPM), you release the brakes, until you detect that
the wheel rotates again. This is fairly crude, but does work.

Since silicone is cheap this days, one could come make the algorithm a bit
more sophisticated, e.g taking into account the absolute rotation
speed of the wheel, i.e. have the brakes "pulse" with a different pattern
when you drive 90 mph, vs. when you drive 35 mph. The wheel size will impact
this calculation.

The other thing that can be done, is not just "measure" the effect of the
brake pressure release via the wheel velocity and adjust it gradually
(Proportional mode), but calculate it ahead of time based on the
rate of change (PID, or Proportional Integral Derivative mode). You'd
have to know the the weight of the wheel to predict the response
though, which could be affected if you install larger wheels.

Now one could argue that if the wheel size increase is very small, the
impact is going to be insignificant. That is why most retailers will
recommend not to go over 15% of your original external tire
diameter. However, if you think modern automotive electronics is crude
and tolerant, here is one example:

A friend of mine, a New Yorker, bought a new Acura RL3.5 shortly
before 9/11. After that awful day, he, like many others, bought a
little plastic American flag that installs on your side window -- you
see plenty around even now. Well, what he started noticing was that
every time he gets on an interstate and goes over 70 mph, his
"stability control" warning light starts flashing intermittently. He
took it to the dealer -- no error codes, no ideas. One day he took
the flag off - and the problem went away immediately. Put it back on as
an experiment -- flashing again. Dealer later confirmed that this was
the cause -- they were able to reproduce it as well once he told them.
Knowing this, I'd think twice before putting larger wheels on the
Acura. YMMV.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts