Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
Just picked up “used” 2020 exl awd. Wish could fight them on greater discount but lost 6 cars on these negotiations (something is weird these days; nothing stays on market for too long. I guess stimulus and inflation works it’s way out).

Would someone be able to suggest:
1. Roof rails (I don’t seem to be able to find any after-market; only Honda OEM);
2. Floor mats (I love 3D Max spyder but they stopped selling them on Amazon). Any other great mats with high walls (I live in NJ, want to make sure dirt, snow, water does not go on carpet);
3. Running boards (I see couple of after-market options on Amazon but some negative reviews complain holes or bolts don’t match on size/threads/location;
4. Hitch (original or after-market). Not for pulling but for protection.

5. Automatic transmission fluid - 6 gears (Honda original or MaxLife). I have driven 3 Honda’s (Pilot 2012, CRV 2014 and Accord 2010) on Maxlife for combined 220k miles with not a single issue. But wanted to get your feedback if this new automatic 6 gear one is any different.

6. What else should I replace regularly? In 2012 Pilot I used to do rear differential every 50k miles. What mileage limits should I use for this?

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
I have Maxliner floor mats and have no complaints.
I would go with the factory Honda hitch as it looks better and does not hang down below the bumper.
You will need a transmission cooler as well and if you are handy you can save a pile of cash installing it yourself or even more if you go with an aftermarket cooler like I did.
I have been using Maxlife ATF in the 6speed for over a year now and it has been working well, although the transmission functions much better with the VCM disabled.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,398 Posts
Your 2020 has the 9 speed transmission. Do not use DW-1 or Valvoline MaxLife in it.

WeatherTech is great, but pricey.

If you're just getting a hitch for protection go to Uhaul and have them install one. It shouldn't be too expensive.

I'm not sure about the roof rails or running boards.

Definitely think about disabling the VCM.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure 2020 exl has 9 speeds and not 6 speeds? I swear when I test drove it I counted only 6 shifts.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD, 2017 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD
50 Posts
Are you sure 2020 exl has 9 speeds and not 6 speeds? I swear when I test drove it I counted only 6 shifts.
It had 6. Went to 9 for the 2021 model year.

I can help, I think, with running boards. Check out this thread where a lot of people are happy with the TAC running boards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
I use honda floor mats, work great, good fit.

I have Aries boards on my 2019 and tac on my 2016. Both fit perfectly, 30 mins to install. Holes all lined up. Don’t see much difference in them, so go with the cheaper brand.

I use oem fluids. I don’t tow.

+1 on VCM disabled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts