Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not having read the manual more carefully, but also partly due to the climate control's ambiguous display, I just found out that I've been driving my car around with the AC on most of the time, if not the whole time since I've picked up the car. I have close to 3000KM (about 1850Mi) on the odometer. About half of that have been on the highway and even then I mistakenly had the AC on.

I say the display is rather ambiguous because when the climate control is completely off and you turn it back on the way I do, there's no display of "AC ON" or "AC OFF". That part is just blank. So, I had just assumed that the AC was off and was the default mode. I know, rather stupid on my part. How could I have not know that the AC wasn't on when there was such cool air coming through. But this is my first Honda purchase and thought this was another great capability of a Honda.

The way I use my climate control is that I usually turn off the climate control right before turning the ignition off. I've always done that even with the other cars. And once I start the car again and need to adjust the inside temperature, I'd just adjust the fan power and and the temp accordingly. I usually never use the Automatic Climate Control setting by pressing the "AUTO" button. Even during the summer, I usually dont' have the AC on and don't use the AUTO setting, partly due to the summer climate here up in Edmonton, AB., Canada, unless it's absolutely needed or the kids and the wife are complaining. What I usually do when I need to cool down a bit is just increase the fan power and let the outside air come in (so, the recirculation is off).

So, my questions are, as follows:
Is it deemed to be detrimental to be using the AC to properly break the car in due to the additional strain the AC places on the engine?
Is it better for the car if the whole climate control is turned off before turning the car off or does that not matter?
Why is it that from the off position, the climate control's default mode is to have the AC on when it's turned back on again or is that because I have the temperature setting in the lower range? Would the AC not be turned on if the initial temperature setting is in the higher range?
When using the AC, is it better for the car if the AC is turned on and off alternatively so as not to constantly subject the engine to the additional strain of using the AC or is turning on and off the AC actually worse?

Any other tips or suggestions about proper usage of the climate control/AC/heating so as not to place unneccessary strain on the engine would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if my questions seem rather dumb.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I wouldn't worry about any of it. The additional load placed by the AC is insignificant compared to driving loads. At least, that's my opinion.

Al

·
Registered
16 Posts
Machines like to work

Much like muscles in the body, Machines like to work. The more you work them, the better they run in the long run. Just dont over work them (thats why they put a redline on the tach) and you'll do fine. I just filled up my gas tank for the first time (from almost empty) and I only took 16 gallons and got 16.7 MPG. I thought it would have been better. But I am in break in and we now have only 400 miles on our new SUV.

Good luck and dont worry... ITS A HONDA !:2:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Re: Machines like to work

Jeffola said:
Much like muscles in the body, Machines like to work. The more you work them, the better they run in the long run. Just dont over work them (thats why they put a redline on the tach) and you'll do fine. I just filled up my gas tank for the first time (from almost empty) and I only took 16 gallons and got 16.7 MPG. I thought it would have been better. But I am in break in and we now have only 400 miles on our new SUV.

Good luck and dont worry... ITS A HONDA !:2:
I drive my Accord constantly with the climate control in FULL AUTO (A/C on). Sometimes even with the windows or sunroof open if its comfortable. No noticeable effects after 4 years, and no significant impact of gas mileage as far as I'm concerned...

·
Registered
260 Posts
I read a study once where modern streamlined vehicles got worse mileage with windows down as opposed to AC on, more drag was created by the open windows than the power needed to run the compressor.

Al

·
Registered
389 Posts
The only thing I read about the breaking period at 600 miles is NOT to do any "harsh breaking or acceleration" otherwise everything is OK.

You are fine my PILOTEER!

·
Registered
113 Posts
My other car is a 10 year old Honda Civic, I used A/C, all the time, in Florida heat for 8 years, before I moved to Syracuse. Have had no problem with it, except, for one recharge. Don't worry, just enjoy the Pilot's FULL AUTO feature.:1:

KE

·
Registered
138 Posts
Crank up the AC + audio..... Just don't crank up the engine too much.....

Just drive gently for now.... Then, you can drive more vigorously. Opps !!! That's not what I will recommended.... Drive safely is my recommendation.

peace... :D

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but the original post asked a question I didn't see an answer to. I turn off the radio and climate control, then turn off the engine. When I return, I start the engine, hit the auto button on the climate control, then turn on the radio.

Is it true or just urban legend that turning the ignition with the A/C in the on position puts a strain on both the engine and the A/C compressor? Can I just leave everyything in the on position, kill the ignition, and return later and restart with no problems, with the radio and A/C starting as soon as I turn the key?

·
Registered
26 Posts
If it is 100 degrees is my garage (and in my car) and I start my car with the A/C on and set to 75, it does not immediately start at full blast. It takes a few seconds for it to work up to a higher fan speed, and so maybe it also takes a few seconds for the A/C to turn itself on.

·
Registered
138 Posts
jay said:
Maybe I missed it, but the original post asked a question I didn't see an answer to. I turn off the radio and climate control, then turn off the engine. When I return, I start the engine, hit the auto button on the climate control, then turn on the radio.

Is it true or just urban legend that turning the ignition with the A/C in the on position puts a strain on both the engine and the A/C compressor? Can I just leave everyything in the on position, kill the ignition, and return later and restart with no problems, with the radio and A/C starting as soon as I turn the key?
I don't see if you start your car with AC / radio on is a problem.

Starting the car with A/C on will put a bit load for the starter. Starter draw current from the battery. The radio also draw current from the battery too. There is a huge batteries on the car. If you just turn on the AC fan & radio but not starting the engine, you can run for hours before your battery will exhausted.

Maybe this legend is for older small car. I mean smaller car will lower HP output and smaller car battery (low cca).

:4:

·
Registered
260 Posts
While I haven't checked for sure on the Pilot yet, most cars drop DC power to things like the AC clutch when actually spinning the starter. Two reasons for this I can think of. One to lessen the current draw, which is the concern here, and two, potentially damaging transient voltages can be generated running inductive loads like starters.
Al

1 - 13 of 13 Posts