Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Doing some further reading: it seems that 5w30 soon chances viscosity rating in the engine and essentially becomes 5w20. What does 5w20 become in the engine then? 5w10? Is that a thing?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Doing some further reading: it seems that 5w30 soon chances viscosity rating in the engine and essentially becomes 5w20. What does 5w20 become in the engine then? 5w10? Is that a thing?
You are bored aren't you ? 🤔

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Wow, that wasn't boring at all.

Click to watch the most not boring part.

This is what my Saturday nights have come to. 😐

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Yes I think we all have that same issue since we are all reading this post .. 🙄

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have 247K miles, use synthetic 5-20, changed every 5K and do not burn oil. Before you roll the dice by viscosity roulette, I suggest you send a oil sample out for testing to see what is going on with your engine:

I had my oil tested at 200K before investing the $4K in repairs, tires and maintenance my pilot needed

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought an 08........if it,appears that, it has only had regular oil in it,is it possible to switch to synthetic oil for next oil change or should I keep going with conventional? thanks!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Scotty, despite what engineers told him says no.

Eric, despite reading off engineering crib notes, gives a CYA yes.

Nothing stirs up the masses like an oil thread!
Let's get ready to rrruuuumble! 🤼‍♀️

·
Registered
448 Posts
I just bought an 08........if it,appears that, it has only had regular oil in it,is it possible to switch to synthetic oil for next oil change or should I keep going with conventional? thanks!
Switch to synthetic. It's better oil. I'm driving a 2003 with 210,000 miles. Mobil One oil. Maybe use a pint of oil every 7000 miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes you can switch to synthetic but I'd shorten the change times to 3K for the first two changes or so since the synthetic will clean out the residues and there will be more in the filter.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts