Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used 5w30 in my 3.0 V6 Nissan Maxima and it never consumed more than a few drops of oil between 7000 mile oil changes.
My current 2005 Nissan Quest does not consume any oil between changes too. It uses 5w30.
But my pilot, which uses 5w20, consumes a quart of oil every 2000 miles and always did.
At the same time the Quest is much more responsive to throttle and is overall much faster while having about the same gas mileage, considering that it often carries loads while the Pilot does not.

I am beginning to question the validity of 5w20 requirement. It is common knowledge that 5w20 is necessary in the cold climate and 5w30 in the mild climate is better on gas. If it would also resolve the oil burning at least partially, than it is a win-win.

Any input?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I plan on using 5w30 on my new to me pilot as I use the same Pennzoil Ultra Platinum High Mileage 5w30 across the board on all of my vehicles. ‘10 Nissan 370Z 90K , ‘04 Honda Element 205k & Honda Pilot 183K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
710 Posts
This always entertains me... Don't take this personally this is literally a copy and past I put on every forum I'm a member of when these posts arise.

Why do you think you know better than Honda's engineers who designed the engine, oil galleys, pumps, etc. to work with 5W20? What training or education do you have with fluid mechanics and dynamics to validate your claim?

Just because other manufacturers designed their engines around a different weight and you've had no issues does not mean that same oil must be good in all vehicles. There are pressure and volume requirements that could be impacted when you change the weight of the oil, while I have a decent understanding of fluid mechanics and dynamics I don't claim to know better than the engineers and am in no way willing to corroborate your assumptions.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why do you think you know better than Honda's engineers
Because I have established beyond reasonable doubt that they are either totally morally corrupt or are acting upon the orders of those who are totally morally corrupt. They design their products for a guaranteed failure as soon after the end of the warranty period as possible in order to force all of us to buy more vehicles. My 5w30 vechicles did not and do not consume oil. Honda's 5w20 vehicles do. This is all I need to know.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Because I have established beyond reasonable doubt that they are either totally morally corrupt or are acting upon the orders of those who are totally morally corrupt. They design their products for a guaranteed failure as soon after the end of the warranty period as possible in order to force all of us to buy more vehicles. My 5w30 vechicles did not and do not consume oil. Honda's 5w20 vehicles do. This is all I need to know.
[/QUOTE
I cannot agree with you. Before you ascribe a corrupt conspiracy to Honda engineers and production, you really should give some evidence to back up your claim. I will agree that Honda has had engineering failures and errors, and that their corporate structure has attempted to evade responsibility for some of them. However, my own (limited) experience of Honda products has been largely positive. My 2003 Pilot with 209k miles uses perhaps a pint of oil between changes. I use synthetic 5w-20 oil. My daughter's 2010 Acura TL has the J37 engine with the silicate lined aluminum cylinder bores. This is a bad design, and consumes much more oil than a J engine with cast iron bores. However, the car runs beautifully, and the SH-AWD system is ideal for our Minnesota winters. By the way, the Acura used more oil when I tried out 5w-30 and 10w-30. I have it running on synthetic 5w-20 now, and oil use has decreased.

Honda is certainly not perfect, and I question some of their decisions, like the VCM system, or the 9 speed transmissions. They have, however, made a lot of very good vehicles. Along with Toyota, Honda engineering has forced Detroit to up their game by 1000 percent in the past 30 years. Without the Japanese engineering of the past few decades, we would still be driving poorly designed and made gas hogs from Detroit.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My 5w30 vechicles did not and do not consume oil. Honda's 5w20 vehicles do. This is all I need to know.
Then why are you asking for confirmation here? You're making some pretty sweeping conclusions with a sample size of three cars.

I'm not a huge fan of the 5W-20 oil recommendation either which I think is more motivated by fuel economy reasons (i.e., CAFE standards) than engine longevity reasons, and it's certainly possible that it might be a factor in oil consumption, albeit probably a very small one. Honda is required by law to make 5W-20 the "recommended" oil because this is the oil that was in the car when emissions/fuel-economy testing was done. EPA requires Honda to put this recommendation on the oil filler cap. But 5W-30 is acceptable, possibly with some temperature restrictions. I'd change to it and see what happens. My guess is not much.

FWIIW, I've mostly used 5W-30 in my 2006. Oil consumption is reasonable (usually making it between oil changes without make up oil) but not negligible.

- Mark

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We all know that EPA ratings are BS.

·
Registered
710 Posts
While I concur Honda has had some major engineering blemishes over the years (VCM's early implementation being one of them), I have owned enough vehicles from different brands to conclude they pretty much all have their issues. The best vehicle we have owned is arguably the one with the worst reliability reputation, the Hyundai. 160k and it needed a pulley 5 years ago and an AC compressor last year in 160k.

·
Registered
710 Posts
We all know that EPA ratings are BS.
This may be so but it's how the vehicles are rated. Until that changes manufacturers will do things to maximize their rating in this strictly prescribed cycle.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This may be so but it's how the vehicles are rated.
That is between the manufacturers and the US government, which is, by the way, does not govern me.
If they use 5W20 just to get favourable ratings, that is not binding on me.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Yah well some of us have a drum oif 5w20 ..that's another story ... I want to know the OIL that Honda is now selling I get a better performance and much less oil consumption with it . The black bottle 0w20 full synthetic would love to buy some but not at the Honda prices ... Only reason why is I keep using those oil change coupons $34.99 full synthetic at the dealership. I can't change oil for that price If was going to even buy the supplies at walmart.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
duplicate post... too many beers

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Nothing stirs up the masses like a too many beers post. 🍻

Personally, my OCD dictates that I should only use what's printed on the 710 port. YMMV, literally.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Only reason why is I keep using those oil change coupons $34.99 full synthetic at the dealership. I can't change oil for that price If was going to even buy the supplies at walmart.
Walmart has a 5 quart jug of Castrol GTX Magnatec 0W-20 full synthetic oil for $19 and a Mobil One filter for $10.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Walmart has a 5 quart jug of Castrol GTX Magnatec 0W-20 full synthetic oil for $19 and a Mobil One filter for $10.
It's still at the $21.44 at the local walmart here online it's got the roll back special for $18 ..still though by the time you add taxes NY 8.96 it's still works better to have them do it. And for the $34.99 the labor is included .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got a car called for 5w20 since 2002, and I have used 5w20, 0w20, 5w30, 10w30, 10w40, 15w40 (basically everything under the sun), and didn't notice much difference.

Now for the Pilot (2007) bought a few years ago (bought ~150k miles, now ~200k), used 5w20, 0w20, 5w30, 10w30, total about 10 oil changes, by following the OLM indicator (always changed around 0), most full syn, last 2 blend, not a problem. Best was DELO 10w30 (syn blend dual gas/diesel) in my case for the cleaning power.

Actually I somehow got the misconception that Honda's engines are easy on oil, but this is totally wrong on the Pilot. The Pilot is extremely harsh on oil (one of the worst I have seen). If you're not using a quality syn, you'll be in for a surprise if you look into the oil filler hole. It'll be loaded with varnish/gunk/sludge. Those who have dealt with the PCV on this engine can attest to it.

My Pilot is slowly recovering from the gunk/sludge. I think previous owner probably followed the OLM, but used regular oil (don't think people would neglect a $30k+ vehicle).

My $.02 worth: use quality syn on Pilot, change per OLM, whatever the grade. Engine is less of a worry than tranny on the Pilot (struggled with P0741 for a while too in my case).

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I drained my new to me pilots oil and I’m assuming they were using suggested 5-20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same here. I was surprised to find so much "mud" caught in my filter when I cut it open. This was after 9 good changes with mostly full syn oil.
2019-06-22 09.11.13.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
WOW!!!! Looks like I am doing my own oil change next time around. Gotta see what's been going on. Thanks for the Info Guys!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts