Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I’m a new Honda Pilot owner, first Honda ever. It’s a ‘17 EX-L, AWD, 6 speed. Like most of you, it’s the family wagon. This is the vehicle my wife wanted so we got it. Only has 10K miles on it right now. I live in San Antonio, TX right now and in a little over a year we will be moving to another state. I’m active duty Air Force which means I’m at the mercy of the AF of where I go next. There may be a possibility we may get Colorado. My personal vehicle is a 2001 Firebird Formula.

Now to my question, when the time comes can the Pilot safely tow the Firebird on a cross-country trip? I don’t own a trailer so I would have to rent a car carrier from Uhaul because they’re the only ones who rent a car carrier alone. According to their website the empty trailer weighs 2210lbs, my car weighs around 3550lbs, this puts the trailering weight around 5760lbs. Not to mention wife, kid, dog, luggage, etc. in the Pilot. Is this too much for the Pilot to handle? It doesn’t have any trailering equipment, yet. I’ve already look at hitches, trans coolers, harnesses, etc.

I have towed this car through the country before but that’s when I had a Silverado, which towed it as if it wasn’t there.

BTW, this is my first post. I searched past posts but didn’t find anything pertaining to my specifics. Thanks in advanced for any advice you can give.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Check your owner's manual for your specific tow ratings...

Do you know if you have the tow package?

Even if you did, you will definitely be overweight. With the prospect of mountainous terrain, I definitely would not do this... Have the car transported or fly back and make a separate trip to get the car up there...

I wouldn't risk everyone else on the road's safety but I certainly would not risk loved ones' safety being in the vehicle.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hello all,

I’m a new Honda Pilot owner, first Honda ever. It’s a ‘17 EX-L, AWD, 6 speed. Like most of you, it’s the family wagon. This is the vehicle my wife wanted so we got it. Only has 10K miles on it right now. I live in San Antonio, TX right now and in a little over a year we will be moving to another state. I’m active duty Air Force which means I’m at the mercy of the AF of where I go next. There may be a possibility we may get Colorado. My personal vehicle is a 2001 Firebird Formula.

Now to my question, when the time comes can the Pilot safely tow the Firebird on a cross-country trip? I don’t own a trailer so I would have to rent a car carrier from Uhaul because they’re the only ones who rent a car carrier alone. According to their website the empty trailer weighs 2210lbs, my car weighs around 3550lbs, this puts the trailering weight around 5760lbs. Not to mention wife, kid, dog, luggage, etc. in the Pilot. Is this too much for the Pilot to handle? It doesn’t have any trailering equipment, yet. I’ve already look at hitches, trans coolers, harnesses, etc.

I have towed this car through the country before but that’s when I had a Silverado, which towed it as if it wasn’t there.

BTW, this is my first post. I searched past posts but didn’t find anything pertaining to my specifics. Thanks in advanced for any advice you can give.
Maximum towing capacity for AWD models is 5,000 lbs. Maximum towing capacity for 2WD models is 3,500 lbs (Towing requires the addition of the Honda accessory towing kit, trailer harness and hitch ball). Since you have an AWD model, ensure you do not exceed the maximum limit for you and your family's safety.

·
Super Moderator
15,273 Posts
Maximum towing capacity for AWD models is 5,000 lbs. Maximum towing capacity for 2WD models is 3,500 lbs (Towing requires the addition of the Honda accessory towing kit, trailer harness and hitch ball). Since you have an AWD model, ensure you do not exceed the maximum limit for you and your family's safety.

The owners manual has a great summary of towing and vehicle limits. The combination is far in excess of your Pilot's limits.

My recommendation would be to have the Firebird (sweet ride-picture please) shipped separately or if you want to DIY rent a uhaul truck and trailer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your input. I kinda figured it was too much but thought I’d ask. I saw pictures of people pulling large boats with their Pilots so I thought maaaybe it was doable. I certainly do not want to be “that-guy” trying to pull off something unsafe to everyone on the road. I get enough of that on the San Antonio highways. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts