Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Opinion needed here.
I picked up my 2020 Pilot EX-L on May 20, 2020 and so far it only has 4380 miles on it so you can argue that even though a lot of time has gone by, I'm still getting used it. (I love it by the way, my 3rd Pilot owned) This past week I started to get "Maintenance Minder B" on the display. (Oil status was showing as 15% when I checked) No problem, with that few miles on it, "Maintenance Minder B" is probably just oil/filter and a couple other checks and inspections.

So I go into the service area of my dealer's website and sure enough, they list "Maintenance Minder B" as:
Replace Engine Oil;
Replace Engine Oil Filter;
Check front and rear brakes;
Check parking brake adjustment;
Inspect brake hoses and lines;
Inspect driveshaft boots;
Inspect exhaust system;
Inspect fuel lines and connections;
Inspect front and rear brakes;
Inspect suspension components;
Inspect tie-rod ends, steering gearbox, and gear box boots;
Inspect all fluid levels and conditions of fluids.

So, pretty much as I expected, just an oil/filter job, and several checks and inspections.
When I clicked on it to bring me to the next page where the price is shown, they wanted $219.99 for this list of items to be done.
I'm not a car guy per se, but this seems excessive to me for just oil/filter and several inspections to be done. When I saw the list of items included before seeing the price, I was expecting something much closer to half that amount. But I've been out of the car service game for a long time and don't really know what a good or bad price is on a lot of things. I know cars are way more advanced today than ever before.
I also just had double-bypass heart surgery a few months ago and can't really do too much DIY stuff around the house/yard or cars yet, so doing some or all of this on my own to save $$ isn't a viable option for me right now. I don't mind having someone else do the work (in fact I prefer it) I just want to pay a fair price and don't want to get fleeced in the process.
I just wanted to get some opinions since some of you are more plugged in to this subject and know way more about this stuff than I do.
Is that price reasonable for what they are doing or would I be getting fleeced?
Thanks in advance,
Jim.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
Those B1 service inspections don't take into account the mileage on the vehicle.
At only 5,000 miles, they're unlikely to be necessary.

Wait until the oil life gets down to 5%, or less, and then have the oil and filter changed.
Maybe have the tires rotated.
Some dealers include a free multi-point inspection with any service.
If there are other Honda dealers in your area, check their prices for an oil change.
Also, check the dealer's websites for service special discount coupons.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I think something's going way wrong with my dealer's website.

As noted above in my OP their website is charging $219.99 for "Maintenance B" service.

But I just checked the Honda dealership about 15-20 minutes further from this one and they list the same service for only $42.95

I have to think something's extremely wrong with their posted prices on the website. There can't be that much of a difference. I'll call them next week and talk to them directly about it.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
I think something's going way wrong with my dealer's website.

As noted above in my OP their website is charging $219.99 for "Maintenance B" service.
View attachment 147339
But I just checked the Honda dealership about 15-20 minutes further from this one and they list the same service for only $42.95
View attachment 147340

I have to think something's extremely wrong with their posted prices on the website. There can't be that much of a difference. I'll call them next week and talk to them directly about it.
There could be that much difference if the other dealer includes the inspections at no extra charge above the cost of an oil change .
Some dealers will also include a free alignment check (adjustment costs extra) and car wash.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,237 Posts
Hey @xGS, a neighbor! Can you recommend some good dealerships around Connecticut?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know what you mean as there are a lot of options to check or un-check if you want to add or exclude things, but the Maintenance B package on both sites includes the exact same stuff, no differences. I was careful to check that it was an identical amount of services to make it a fair comparison. There's gotta be a mistake being made. I'll get to the bottom of it next week.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey @xGS, a neighbor! Can you recommend some good dealerships around Connecticut?
I'm in Shelton, CT.
The two closest dealerships to me get good reviews: Curtiss Ryan Honda right here in Shelton and Honda of Milford (formerly Courtney Honda)
I got my 2003 new in Milford (Courtney at the time) and I got both my 2012 (CPO in 2015), and my current 2020 last year from Curtiss Ryan.
Both get generally good marks for sales and service. Milford boasts they're an Express Service Elite Dealer, Curtiss Ryan has a few Dealer of the Year awards atop their website that are too small for me to read exactly what they're for. But they both have pretty good reputations overall.

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
Great, but there's nothing like a recommendation from an experienced local, like longtime member @xGS. Hopefully, he'll chime in again and provide you with some good neighborly pointers.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
Wish I could be of some assistance in that regard, but I've not had any experience with Honda (or any other car) dealers in the OP's general vicinity.

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
OK, but he might benefit from options slightly farther afield.

It would be close enough to be worth it. It's not like he has to cross the Mojave Desert to find the next few dealerships from him there. And the until recently named State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations is so tiny and so nearby.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
OK, but he might benefit from options slightly farther afield.

It would be close enough to be worth it. It's not like he has to cross the Mojave Desert to find the next few dealerships from him there. And the until recently named State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations is so tiny and so nearby.
The Curtiss Ryan dealership mentioned by the OP is the top Honda dealer in the state according to Dealer Rater .
That would seem to make it a fine choice.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
I'd simply order Full synthetic oil and a high quality filter from Wal-Mart. They deliver free. Then find a nearby independent shop that will charge $20 or so to change your oil. Otherwise where ever you go will likely not give you the best for your vehicle at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
I'd simply order Full synthetic oil and a high quality filter from Wal-Mart. They deliver free. Then find a nearby independent shop that will charge $20 or so to change your oil. Otherwise where ever you go will likely not give you the best for your vehicle at a reasonable price.
Or, go to a Honda dealer and get the oil change done for $30.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,259 Posts
Hello all,

Opinion needed here.
I picked up my 2020 Pilot EX-L on May 20, 2020 and so far it only has 4380 miles on it so you can argue that even though a lot of time has gone by, I'm still getting used it. (I love it by the way, my 3rd Pilot owned) This past week I started to get "Maintenance Minder B" on the display. (Oil status was showing as 15% when I checked) No problem, with that few miles on it, "Maintenance Minder B" is probably just oil/filter and a couple other checks and inspections.

So I go into the service area of my dealer's website and sure enough, they list "Maintenance Minder B" as:
Replace Engine Oil;
Replace Engine Oil Filter;
Check front and rear brakes;
Check parking brake adjustment;
Inspect brake hoses and lines;
Inspect driveshaft boots;
Inspect exhaust system;
Inspect fuel lines and connections;
Inspect front and rear brakes;
Inspect suspension components;
Inspect tie-rod ends, steering gearbox, and gear box boots;
Inspect all fluid levels and conditions of fluids.

So, pretty much as I expected, just an oil/filter job, and several checks and inspections.
When I clicked on it to bring me to the next page where the price is shown, they wanted $219.99 for this list of items to be done.
I'm not a car guy per se, but this seems excessive to me for just oil/filter and several inspections to be done. When I saw the list of items included before seeing the price, I was expecting something much closer to half that amount. But I've been out of the car service game for a long time and don't really know what a good or bad price is on a lot of things. I know cars are way more advanced today than ever before.
I also just had double-bypass heart surgery a few months ago and can't really do too much DIY stuff around the house/yard or cars yet, so doing some or all of this on my own to save $$ isn't a viable option for me right now. I don't mind having someone else do the work (in fact I prefer it) I just want to pay a fair price and don't want to get fleeced in the process.
I just wanted to get some opinions since some of you are more plugged in to this subject and know way more about this stuff than I do.
Is that price reasonable for what they are doing or would I be getting fleeced?
Thanks in advance,
Jim.
Was there any number codes with the B?

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
Well that must be an old advertisement, here's what's really available at this dealership.
Do you see an expiration date on that coupon?
The point is to shop around for the best price.

Any savings you might (or might not) get by buying the oil and filter yourself and then taking it someplace to have it installed - if you can even find a local shop willing to do that - may well be negligible.
Of course, for those who obsess day and night about the specific oil and filter being used, no amount of extra effort or inconvenience will seem too extreme.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
The point is to shop around for the best price.
I agree. I'd also make sure your really getting full synthetic oil. Some places like to slip you the blend. Our Pilots take almost 6 quarts of oil. I'm sure each additional quart over what a Honda Civic takes is extra. You would also want to make sure the oil is filled to the full line, not just half way mark.
Any savings you might (or might not) get by buying the oil and filter yourself and then taking it someplace to have it installed - if you can even find a local shop willing to do that - may well be negligible.
As the OP has concern for the absurd price for Service B, what may be negligible to you may not be for others. I don't like to be blindsided with additional charges. It be in your best interest to know before you go.
Of course, for those who obsess day and night about the specific oil and filter being used, no amount of extra effort or inconvenience will seem too extreme.
How is having your trusted oil and a filter shipped to your door an inconvenience? There's nothing more inconvenient than waiting 2 hours at a dealership for an oil change. If I didn't do my own oil changes, I can call the tire shop in my small town and see if they are busy and can get in and out quick. If you ask, they'd probably be happy to do it while you sit in your vehicle.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
Some places like to slip you the blend. Our Pilots take almost 6 quarts of oil. I'm sure each additional quart over what a Honda Civic takes is extra. You would also want to make sure the oil is filled to the full line, not just half way mark.
Have you ever taken your Honda Pilot to a dealer for an oil change and had them "slip you the blend"?

I don't like to be blindsided with additional charges. It be in your best interest to know before you go.
If you're afraid of being "blindsided with additional charges", just ask how much the service will cost before you hand over your keys.
Every time I have my car serviced, the service advisor provides a written estimate of the cost.
If there are going to be any "additional charges", then the service advisor contacts me for approval.

There's nothing more inconvenient than waiting 2 hours at a dealership for an oil change. If I didn't do my own oil changes, I can call the tire shop in my small town and see if they are busy and can get in and out quick. If you ask, they'd probably be happy to do it while you sit in your vehicle.
Do none of the Honda dealers in your area offer "express service" with an oil change done in a half-hour, or less?
None of the shops in my area allow customers in the service bays for insurance reasons.

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
There's nothing more inconvenient than waiting 2 hours at a dealership for an oil change
But, but, they give you all this while you waste your time, even free Wi-Fi, technology which apparently has yet to come to independent repair shops. :D

None of the shops in my area allow customers in the service bays for insurance reasons.
To very loosely paraphrase Groucho Marx, I would never take my Pilot to a shop that wouldn't let me in the bay.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts