Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am buying a 2004 Honda EX-L with 151k on it. It’s a one owner prior to myself, the Pilot has a clean carfax but little info on what all was done to it for service/Maintance (All recalls have been done to it). It looks to be in really good condition and well taken care of. I am wondering if you all have info on when the pilots of 03-04 started to show the transmission failure and if there is a known build date in 04 that Honda started to fix the trans problem? Also any other info would be great! Car was out of the Virginia/Maryland area.

Kyle

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L 4wd
139 Posts
If it’s got the jet kit where the full plug once was, you should be good to go I believe! I’ve had good luck with a 3x drain and fill on the transmission with Valvoline maxlife ATF.

what are you snagging it for?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it’s got the jet kit where the full plug once was, you should be good to go I believe! I’ve had good luck with a 3x drain and fill on the transmission with Valvoline maxlife ATF.

what are you snagging it for?
I’ll have to check for the jet kit, you have a pic of what it should look like? $6250.00 out the door that tax title and tags included.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Mine started failing at around 142k, I gave up on it at about 145k.

I had the jet kit installed. Mine was probably already damaged before they put that in.

I think the best things you can do in a "new to you" first gen beyond catching up on all maintenance is upgrading the interior lights to LED and replacing the temporary spare with a real wheel and tire.

Enjoy - if it's in good shape, you might get another 150k out of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine started failing at around 142k, I gave up on it at about 145k.

I had the jet kit installed. Mine was probably already damaged before they put that in.

I think the best things you can do in a "new to you" first gen beyond catching up on all maintenance is upgrading the interior lights to LED and replacing the temporary spare with a real wheel and tire.

Enjoy - if it's in good shape, you might get another 150k out of it.
Thanks I am planning on all new fluids and a 3x trans change with the Max life.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
You seem to have some knowledge working on Honda?
Will you DIY the timing belt water pump job?
Look for the cracked air intake hose. Very common for this Honda that aged.

Reactions: Cousin Itt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You seem to have some knowledge working on Honda?
Will you DIY the timing belt water pump job?
Look for the cracked air intake hose. Very common for this Honda that aged.
Well I have read about 28 hours of posts on this forum and I really enjoy working on cars and getting the most out of my money. I will likely do the work all myself unless the water pump and timing belt job is around when my wife is due with our second boy. If it’s around that time I’ll be doing that work with my check book.
I’ll be sure to check the air intake neck and connection points. Also will be active on to forum on all work done and how it’s doing as time goes on. Ill be located in Eastern NC.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Check your intake manifold cover - the EGR all comes in on the back side and it carbons up pretty thoroughly. The PCV and EGR valve can be de-gunked, too.

I did my radiator hoses and thermostat at the same time I did the water pump. Mine looked original and in pretty good shape, but it's an easy preventative maintenance task while the block is drained.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
First, welcome to the forum and congrats on the upcoming son.

If you've already done a bit of reading on this forum, then perhaps you've come across this 1st gen buyer's checklist. Don't be intimidated by its size and breadth, it's just usefully thorough, so use it to your advantage.

I daresay there's even a helpful little guide to fluids a few posts down. :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well I have read about 28 hours of posts on this forum and I really enjoy working on cars and getting the most out of my money. I will likely do the work all myself unless the water pump and timing belt job is around when my wife is due with our second boy. If it’s around that time I’ll be doing that work with my check book.
I’ll be sure to check the air intake neck and connection points. Also will be active on to forum on all work done and how it’s doing as time goes on. Ill be located in Eastern NC.
probably the toughest part of the timing belt job is getting the crank bolt loose.....first time off is 1000 ft-lbs (might not be as bad if it was replaced at 105k. The rest of the work is not too bad, just a little cramp.

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
567 Posts
Yes that crank bolt requires a bit of ingenuity to get loose. When I did ours the son helped get it loose. AutoZone has the damper socket in their loaner tool program. It took a breaker bar and 6' length of pipe to break it loose. It helps to use blocks to stabilize the breaker bar and extension needed to clear the fender well opening. You'll probably think you broke something when you hear the loud pop when it finally lets loose.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Yes that crank bolt requires a bit of ingenuity to get loose. When I did ours the son helped get it loose. AutoZone has the damper socket in their loaner tool program. It took a breaker bar and 6' length of pipe to break it loose. It helps to use blocks to stabilize the breaker bar and extension needed to clear the fender well opening. You'll probably think you broke something when you hear the loud pop when it finally lets loose.
Always loved busting a pulley bolt loose the manly way. It was an achievement that made the job honorable.
💪😁
Now we use these...

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
11,325 Posts

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
The jet recall was done to 03/04. 05 had a different design and mine lived happily until it went on to its new family at over 253k

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
05 had a different design and mine lived happily until it went on to its new family at over 253k
... at a farm upstate?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts