Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for other Colorado Piloteers: My temp permit expires shortly so I will be headed to my local DMV next week for my license plates. Anyone remember what they paid for ownership tax (and all the other add-ons)? I need to know it I need to get a second mortgage on my home before I go!!!

:2:

TIA,

rod

·
Registered
725 Posts
My Costs

I didn't pay sales tax on my PILOT, because I bought it in Las Vegas, NV.

I did have to "pay the piper" when I registered it here in Colorado.

total came to a cool $3,000 even. The actual registration cost was about $450.00, the rest was sales tax (sheez that hurt)

Hope this helps!

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Fellow Colorado Pilot Owner!
Get that second mortgage ready. Ownership tax was around $550 plus the other fees and taxes total was around $640. I had already paid the city tax to dealer and that was around $1000. Glad to see there is another Sandstone EX-L in Colorado. Really love my Pilot and see so few of them around town. I have not had any problems to speak of except for driver side front seat movement and went to dealer with TSB in hand where they repaired with a few shims.
:4:

·
Registered
311 Posts
THREE GRAND???? WOW!!!!!!!! And I thought my payout of a tad under 2K was terrible. But, you know the worst part. The next time your Pilot is sold, the lucky new owner gets to pay the sales tax again. At least thats they way it is in MO.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: My Costs

PILOTinginCO said:
I didn't pay sales tax on my PILOT, because I bought it in Las Vegas, NV.

I did have to "pay the piper" when I registered it here in Colorado.

total came to a cool $3,000 even. The actual registration cost was about $450.00, the rest was sales tax (sheez that hurt)

Hope this helps!

Thanks - I'm in the same boat on sales tax since I bought mine up in Laramie. A little better cuz I traded in my Buick PA and the tax (as we know) is based on the difference. Sounds like somewhere between $450 and $550 (as another Piloteer mentioned).

Thanks!
rod

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
suz said:
Hello Fellow Colorado Pilot Owner!
Get that second mortgage ready. Ownership tax was around $550 plus the other fees and taxes total was around $640. I had already paid the city tax to dealer and that was around $1000. Glad to see there is another Sandstone EX-L in Colorado. Really love my Pilot and see so few of them around town. I have not had any problems to speak of except for driver side front seat movement and went to dealer with TSB in hand where they repaired with a few shims.
:4:
Thanks - sounds like somewhere in the $450 to $550 range for just the onwership taxes and title fees. Sales tax will be based on my trade price. In any case - it will be an expensive day!!

Yep - very happy with the Sandstone - not too many around here either. I have seen one other in Loveland and a couple out on I-25.

See ya!
rod

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seadog said:
THREE GRAND???? WOW!!!!!!!! And I thought my payout of a tad under 2K was terrible. But, you know the worst part. The next time your Pilot is sold, the lucky new owner gets to pay the sales tax again. At least thats they way it is in MO.
Same here in Colorado - sales tax happens EACH time a vehicle is sold. Also, the required emissions test must be done each time a vehicle is re-sold.

rod

·
Registered
248 Posts
I paid the sales tax when I bought the vehicle. Didn't look to close because my heart couldn't take it.
So when my temp plate expires I'm looking at another $450-$550 (DOH!!)??

By the way Colorider, you'll be happy to know that you don't have to do emissions unless the car is over 4 years old (used to be 2 years, and they made it longer, I'm thinking 4, but not 100%).

One other thing I get dinged for when I get new plates it the extra $35 for the "Pioneer" plates. Got them on 2 already, might as well splurge for this one too!!

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
booger said:
I paid the sales tax when I bought the vehicle. Didn't look to close because my heart couldn't take it.
So when my temp plate expires I'm looking at another $450-$550 (DOH!!)??

By the way Colorider, you'll be happy to know that you don't have to do emissions unless the car is over 4 years old (used to be 2 years, and they made it longer, I'm thinking 4, but not 100%).

One other thing I get dinged for when I get new plates it the extra $35 for the "Pioneer" plates. Got them on 2 already, might as well splurge for this one too!!
Yes, I know that the first 4 years are exempt UNLESS the car is re-sold. Then you are required to get a new emissions test. Reason behind all this it because it is the States way of controlling the emissions "cycle".

I all ready had the Pioneer plates and will simply transfer from my previous vehicle. Just wish they offered them in a motorcycle plate. I have to "settle" for a Vet plate on it!

Thanks!

rod

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
colorider said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

Just wish they offered them in a motorcycle plate. I have to "settle" for a Vet plate on it!

Thanks!

rod
colorider: what's a "vet" plate? Veteran (of the military)? Veterinary doctor? :confused:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kemosabe said:

colorider: what's a "vet" plate? Veteran (of the military)? Veterinary doctor? :confused:
Colorado probably holds the record for the most "specialty" plates. Everything from vanity to CSU Buffs to Tree Hugger plates. Included (as do many other states) are plates for Honorably Discharged Vets (military) and also Purple Heart plates. I qualify for Pioneer plates because I have ancestors that were living in Colorado at least 100 years ago. I also qualify for the "vet" plate as I served in the USN back in the 60's.

Colorado generates a LOT of extra revenue with all these plates - not sure where all the money goes though!!! :confused:

rod

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just registered mine yesterday (2/25/03) and had to pay around $625. Yikes! I had already paid the tax at the dealership. Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rockiedave said:
I just registered mine yesterday (2/25/03) and had to pay around $625. Yikes! I had already paid the tax at the dealership. Hope that helps!
Wow - I wonder why such a range. All the way from $450 to $625. I would think that no matter where you are in the state, the ownership tax, title fee and license fee should be the same. There will be a slight difference between the base LX all the way up to the EX-L with NAV or the DVD - but that sure shouldn't account for that much of a range. I guess I'll find out come Monday or Tuesday of next week!!

Thanks!
rod

·
Registered
248 Posts
colorider said:

Colorado probably holds the record for the most "specialty" plates. Everything from vanity to CSU Buffs to Tree Hugger plates.
rod
CSU Buffs??? That's BLASPHEMY!! It's the CSU RAMS and the cu buffs.

Sitting here in my CSU sweater reading that just about made me hurl ;-{)

·
Registered
123 Posts
That's a big sum . I am thinking of using 2 months of registration given by my dealer . Atleast i can save some money for one months :rolleyes: .Anyone from denver area . How much you guys are paying for insurance . I am paying 1200 for six month . My agent told me it's higher in denver :(

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
booger said:

CSU Buffs??? That's BLASPHEMY!! It's the CSU RAMS and the cu buffs.

Sitting here in my CSU sweater reading that just about made me hurl ;-{)
Whoops!! :17:

It's quite obvious that I'm not a fan of either!!! Sorry 'bout that!!

rod:)

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lalit said:
That's a big sum . I am thinking of using 2 months of registration given by my dealer . Atleast i can save some money for one months :rolleyes: .Anyone from denver area . How much you guys are paying for insurance . I am paying 1200 for six month . My agent told me it's higher in denver :(
Hmmm, your mention of using the 2 months just made me think of something. :bonk:

I wonder if the owenership tax is based on when you actually purchased the vehicle and depending on when you go to get you plates, you are paying for anywhere from 12 months of ownership tax to 14 months worth. ??? Anyone know for sure?

$1200 for six months seems steep to me - but every area and every driver seems to get different rates. I'm with State Farm and mine is less than half that amount.

rod

·
Registered
248 Posts
They get you from the purchase date!! I bought an old Harley that was just barely road worthy. I didn't license it and spent 6 months rebuilding it. When I did license it, they dinged me for the 6 months that it was in pieces. When I complained I was told that this was to done to keep people from driving as long as possible without getting plates (trying to get 6 or 8 months out of the 45 day permit).

Which does make sense after seeing a car the other day with 1998 Nebraska plates on it.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
booger said:
They get you from the purchase date!! I bought an old Harley that was just barely road worthy. I didn't license it and spent 6 months rebuilding it. When I did license it, they dinged me for the 6 months that it was in pieces. When I complained I was told that this was to done to keep people from driving as long as possible without getting plates (trying to get 6 or 8 months out of the 45 day permit).

Which does make sense after seeing a car the other day with 1998 Nebraska plates on it.
That makes sense and now I remember that I used to get hit with the same thing with a camper I used to own that I did not "pull" for exteneded periods. The arguement was that I still "owned" it - even if it wasn't on Colorado highways.

I'm just a little over 30 days into my 45 day permit (Wyoming issued), so maybe my ownership tax will be towards the low end of the range reported here.

That'll also teach you not to buy a Harley next time! :14: :)
(sorry - couldn't resist)

rod

1 - 20 of 37 Posts