Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello forum, I’m new here and joined to solicit your feedback regarding the class action lawsuit and other issues I’ve read about the Honda Pilot. My neighbor is selling his ‘19 Touring model with only 3k miles from new. He’s an elderly gentleman who’s the original owner and is very detail orientated when it comes to maintaining his vehicles. It’s a beautiful vehicle and looks like it just rolled out of the show room. I really like the Deep Scarlet Purple with Beigh interior. He purchased the Pilot new for his wife who is a bit too short in stature to comfortably drive the vehicle (...hence the low mileage). A detail he admittedly stated should have been discovered during her test drive but for some reason was not disclosed. Anyway, referencing the NHTSA website I see that all 5 recalls have been completed for this VIN. Given all the complaints regarding the electrical issues with all Pilot model variants, should I steer clear of this one? He’s asking $39k, the MSRP was slightly north of $45k. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could probably get a New 2021 Touring for a little less then 39k, in 2019 i paid $37,800 for 2019 Pilot Touring 8 seater AWD.
Thanks for the advice. My primary concern is all the electrical complaints and class action lawsuit I’ve read about the 3rd gen Pilots. Do you know if Honda has resolved these known issues?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Pilot Touring AWD
66 Posts
They resolved alot of the problems so far ex.infotainment screen and gauges, transmission shifting concerns and popping noise from speakers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They resolved alot of the problems so far ex.infotainment screen and gauges, transmission shifting concerns and popping noise from speakers.
Thanks. Just so I’m clear, when you say “ex.infotainment screen and gauges, transmission shifting concerns and popping noise from speakers.” are you saying “excluding” these issues? In other words, some issues have been resolved except for the infotainment screen and gauges, transmission shifting concerns and popping noise from speakers? Hate to drop $30+k on a Lemmon... thanks again!

·
Registered
2019 Honda Pilot Touring AWD
66 Posts
Yes in my experience have been resolved with software updates and repairs. You should be able to buy Honda care if your looking to extend the warranty.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Infotainment has several TSBs but not sure if problems have been fixed. This thread from today discussing a recurrence of the popping problem even after TSB fixes.

I would definitely see about purchasing a Honda Care extended warranty before you purchase. Also no one knows if fuel injectors will be a problem on the 2019+ models like they have been on the 2016-2018 model years. Poke around in this forum some more to see other issues that are common. Sadly these are not your parent's Hondas when it comes to reliability.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
He will have to come off that price, quite a bit. Seems he over paid and depreciation is killer.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Infotainment has several TSBs but not sure if problems have been fixed. This thread from today discussing a recurrence of the popping problem even after TSB fixes.

I would definitely see about purchasing a Honda Care extended warranty before you purchase. Also no one knows if fuel injectors will be a problem on the 2019+ models like they have been on the 2016-2018 model years. Poke around in this forum some more to see other issues that are common. Sadly these are not your parent's Hondas when it comes to reliability.
The owner did purchase an extended warranty that is transferable but it’s not from the factory. I realize no vehicle is perfect given that each component part has a reliability factor. That said, Honda is Honda with a reputation for well engineered products. The fact that there have been so many reliability issues with the 3rd gen Pilots is a bit troublesome. What’s more is that in some instances Customers are being turned away by dealers and left with no recourse other than to ‘take it up’ with Honda USA.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
My neighbor is selling his ‘19 Touring model with only 3k miles from new. He’s an elderly gentleman who’s the original owner and is very detail orientated when it comes to maintaining his vehicles. It’s a beautiful vehicle and looks like it just rolled out of the show room. He’s asking $39k, the MSRP was slightly north of $45k.
The Edmunds site estimates a private-party sale value of about $34,500 for that vehicle in outstanding condition and with no faults.
Trade-in value would be about $32K, or $29,500 if the dealer doesn't adjust upward for the condition and mileage.
Your neighbor is going to have to realize and accept that he'll be taking a substantial hit in value.

·
Registered
813 Posts
That Pilot is really nice, but it's quite a bit more expensive that it should be. I guess you could consider the Pilot as a luxury car if it depreciates a lot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for confirming the Edmunds values. My biggest concern is reliability since the Pilot is in its 5th model year of the 3rd generation with people still reporting issues with the infotainment and crash avoidance software.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Thanks for confirming the Edmunds values. My biggest concern is reliability since the Pilot is in its 5th model year of the 3rd generation with people still reporting issues with the infotainment and crash avoidance software.
Most people said that the infotainment problem has been solved. Just take it to your dealer to make sure it has been done. The crash avoidance can go off randomly for some people, but for me I’ve only had that happen 2 times in almost of year of having the car. It never braked for me but it just showed the warning.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The connector TSB seems to have been successful for most owners. This TSB requires extensive rework of the MOST bus connectors. If the tech doesn’t perform the rework correctly, problems will reoccur. The safety recall fixed the screen blanking problems that occurred as a result of the connector issues.
The positive is it’s your neighbor so you know the history of the vehicle. The negative is it’s your neighbor so if the deal goes sideways it can affect your neighborly relationship.
Early 2019s (VINs < .....6305) are included in the fuel injector TSB.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you do not need AWD, stay away from this one. Extra unnecessary maintenance and lower mpg.
AWD vehicles are sensitive to tread wear so all 4 tires should match with the same tread wear.
You can get a 2021 2wd touring for less than what your neighbor is asking.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,178 Posts
If you do not need AWD, stay away from this one. Extra unnecessary maintenance and lower mpg.
AWD vehicles are sensitive to tread wear so all 4 tires should match with the same tread wear.
You can get a 2021 2wd touring for less than what your neighbor is asking.
To expand on that some-
I/we live in Milwaukee/Midwest. It snows some.
Our 08 SE 2WD/FWD Pilot with all season radials does just fine on the roads here.
Yes, we recently picked up a cherry 15LX 4WD also.

The Front wheel drive does really well in the snow, etc.
If you live in the country w/ lots uf unplowed roads, then you MIGHt need a 4WD.
my 2 cents.

I admit, 3K miles is like a new vehicle.
Shoot, our 15 had 64.5K on it when we bought it a few months ago- and IT'S like a new vehicle!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts