Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Pilot EX with the "Remote Start System Problem" light on. It goes away sometimes for a day or two, but it's there most often. I finally decided to looking into fixing the issue. I found that some guys on this forum have said that the issue is the Start Switch Assembly (part #35881-TG7-A04). And, the part seems like a very easy install.

My question is whether or not this fix requires reprogramming the key fob. There seems to be some disagreement on the forum about this. The guy in This Video shows the fix and the light on the dash seems to go away immediately. I don't believe he talks about needing to go to the dealer to reprogram the remote. However, other guys on the forum said that after installing this part, that going to the dealer to reprogram the remote is required, otherwise the key fobs won't work.

I'd obviously prefer not to have to go to the stealership. I hate going there.

please advise.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
It is covered under an extended warranty now, so I would contact a dealership and have them run the VIN number just to make sure. I did replace mine myself before the extended warranty came out and I did not have to reprogram the fobs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is covered under an extended warranty now, so I would contact a dealership and have them run the VIN number just to make sure. I did replace mine myself before the extended warranty came out and I did not have to reprogram the fobs.
Thank you for letting me know you didn't need to reprogram. I'd rather buy the part myself for $60 than bring it to the dealership (even if they offered to do it for "free"). I think most dealerships and service guys are pretty crooked.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Thank you for letting me know you didn't need to reprogram. I'd rather buy the part myself for $60 than bring it to the dealership (even if they offered to do it for "free"). I think most dealerships and service guys are pretty crooked.
I think that's a little too strong, especially the "most" and the "crooked." I'm not a fan but there are many of both that are not. I have learned to separate helpfulness from over aggressive marketing from dealers and many of the service guys that have fixed things from cars to AC units to you name it ... there are many good people out there trying to make as good a living as they can for their families, just like the rest of us. There are bad apples in all professions and businesses (and relationships), but to say most are crooks seems a little over the top in my opinion. Sometimes, the behavior you are seeing is mandated from above, from a small group of board members who don't know or care about you or the product, only the price of the stock.

So you might want to give the guys and gals on the front lines some slack when judging their character. But, of course, you're certainly entitled to your own opinion.

Sorry I got carried away there for a sec ... now let's all turn to page 147 in our hymnals and sing We Shall Overcome.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts