Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We just picked up our 2004 Pilot last Wednesday and I love it. This is my first post here.

I have a question about racks/carriers: Being a professional photographer, we need a lot of space. My wife and I (our kids are grown) take very long road trips and, in the past, I have done that with minivans with all the seats taken out or, before that, with full-sized vans. Our cargo area was totally filled with photography equipment and personal stuff. We do have a minivan but I would like to take the Pilot on trips. The problem is space, especially now that we have a dog that will be with us on our trips too.

I am looking for a high capacity rack or basket and would appreciate any suggestions. We have the factory rack with crossbars but that just won't do except possibly as something to attach a high capacity basket to. Being canoeists, we will be getting a Yakima canoe rack for the Pilot which may be a factor since perhaps a basket or rack could be attached to that.

I have noticed that several people have Yakima Road Warrior baskets but I am open to any suggestions. Large capacity is the requirement while, of course, staying within weight limits.

Oh, by the way, I only have 430 miles on the Pilot now but I did a mileage check. We got 22 mpg on the first check! That was highway miles, but I think that's pretty darn good for a brand new tight engine.

Thanks Much,

Tom Johnston

Attachments

·
Registered
620 Posts
Welcome, Nice picture, nice mileage! Sorry no info on racks...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Very nice photo ZoneIII. The water almost looks fake it's so good.

As far as the roof rack, one day while at work I saw a Pilot that had a nice one on top. While contemplating if I should stop him or not, he pulled into a parking lot and we spoke. I told him about the site and told him what we were all about. His name here is Maineiac. He had a hard shell carrier that opened from the rear with a locking device, so that it won't fly open on you while driving. He bought it at Sears, but I just tried to find it online and which met with negative results.

Hopefully Maineiac will see this and he can help you.

*Thread Drift*
So how would you feel if you got pulled over, just to find out the police officer just wanted to talk about your SUV? Obviously, legally I have no reason to pull them over if they did nothing wrong, so all I need is someone that was in a bad mood or someone that doesn't like police and have them make a complaint against me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks much, but

Thanks much but I am looking for an open basket-type carrier. I wouldn't be able to fit what I need in a closed carrier like that. It's very nice, though.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Picture Loadwarrier with extension

Here is a picture of it-worked great on the trip-4 adults sized people,2 68 lb Greyhounds+a ton of luggage,2 MTB bikes,13"tv,Playstation etc.Email me with any questions-we drove from New Orleans to Flagstaff and back this summer charlie [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
2nd picture of Loadwarrier with 18"extension

Here is a closer picture of the mounting system of the loadwarrier.We used big plastic bins(Walmart 8.99) and the YAKIMA net.The warrier isn't mounted now,I just popped it up there to give you an idea.The Warrier+extension is 62X39X6" (59X37X6" interior).They cost about $280 delivered.The extension was worth it-18 more inches.Charlie

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
Loadwarrier~20 lbs-Crossbars 10lbs-150lbs EX limit

I think the roof weight limit is 150lbs.The Loadwarrier with extension is about 20 lbs,and the Crossbars(have to have them to mount the Loadwarrier) weigh about 10 lbs,so you have about 120 lbs of capacity you can put in the basket.We used deep ,and shallow plastic bin to carry our stuff.They were really easy to load and unload into the basket,and they were waterproof.We did use a couple of pieces of duck tape to keep the lids tight.
There is an even bigger basket-Megawarrier??-.It is for full sized SUV's,but it would fit on a Pilot.You really don't need it because the Loadwarrier with 18" extension is pretty big,and you are limited by the 120lbs capacity.
I didn't notice any extra noise even though we had the basket 'filled" at least 6" over it's top.It did seem to cost about 1-2mpg at higher-75-80-speeds,less at 60-56.
The Pilot was-is- a great traveling vehicle.The dogs had plenty(well enough) of room behind the 2nd seat,and they are easy to load and unload-they jump up,and I sorta carry Isis(12 years old) to help her down-but she usually beats me to it and jumps..Luck,Charlie

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Charlie

That's exactly what I am looking for. Thank you very much for sharing that. I was getting confusing answers from Yakima and my Yakima dealer.

Thanks Again

Tom :p

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Since ZoneIII got his question answered...

...hey, charlie!! I remember when you first posted here and was seeking info about purchasing a Pilot -- I think this is the first time I've seen a photo of your ride!!! :29:

(Okay, I did see a picture of your backyard with all those motorcycle parts... :eek: )

·
Registered
367 Posts
Kemosabe-I should have washed-waxed it!!

Kemosabe, yep, that was about $32000 ago that you welcomed me to the Forum!I should have washed-waxed it first!
Great car,my wife loves it-handy in town,but plenty of room in that stubby wide body to make it a great trip vehicle.Thanks,Charlie

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Weight Limit

Just for anyone's info who reads this thread, the total weight limit for roof cargo is 165 lbs. - at least for the 2004 Pilot.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Weight Limit

ZoneIII said:
Just for anyone's info who reads this thread, the total weight limit for roof cargo is 165 lbs. - at least for the 2004 Pilot.
Honda must've beefed up the supports for the 2004 Pilots...

...the weight limits for the 2003 Pilots are:

LX model - 100 lbs
        EX model - 150 lbs

:werd:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: Weight Limit

kemosabe said:
Honda must've beefed up the supports for the 2004 Pilots...

...the weight limits for the 2003 Pilots are:

LX model - 100 lbs
        EX model - 150 lbs

:werd:

I believe that the limits posted are copnservative and have much more to do with the stability of the vehivle when loaded than any structural stength.

I doubt that anything changed from '03 to '04 except maybe they raised the number to meet or beat some competative vehicle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Weight limits.

Yes, if those were the limits, they have beefed them up or just changed the ratings ( I suspect the latter is the case since I doubt that Honda changed the structure for 2004). I don't know about the LX, but I just verified in my owner's manual that the weight limit for the factory rack is 165 lbs. for my EX.

That brings up an interesting question, though. That weight limit is, I assume, for the factory rack. If you use, for example, Yakima Q-Towers that do not attach to the factory rack, the load would be transferred to stronger points which should give you some leeway. I'm not suggesting that anyone else go by that, but I always rely on my own common sense with things like this and it has never steered me wrong. In any case, I probably wouldn't be loading more than a total of 165 anyway. But I think it's pretty obvious that the maximum load would be different depending on whether the weight is on the factory rack or transferred to the inner rain gutters. And you can bet that Honda has a built-in safety factory in their ratings not just for safety reasons, but for liability reasons. Clearly, they can't list various weight limits for every possible roof rack system in their manual. Their published limits are clearly based on the assumption that the weight is actually ON the roof, not on the edge of the roof and being transferred down the side.

In any case, I don't think anyone has to get a scale out and weigh things. lol I find common sense to be the best guide.

·
Registered
367 Posts
EX 165 doesn't count weight of rack

Kemosabe,I am sure I read 150 for the EX also_On page 227 of my manual-2003-it says "total wt of rack+items not too exceed 75kg-165lbs",so that would work out to about 150 if you assume 15 lbs for the rack.
Where did you read the 150 figure-150 is the figure I remember,but I can't find it.It will drive me crazy 'till I do.
One reason I went for the EX was that I noticed that the LX add-on rack was rated much lower,and I knew I was going to be pushing the 150 limit.The crossbars surprised me with their beefiness.They are at least 10,and maybe 15lbs for the pair.
If you can find where it says 150,let me know.Maybe it is a sales brochure?Thanks,Charlie

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: EX 165 doesn't count weight of rack

charlie said:
Kemosabe,I am sure I read 150 for the EX also_On page 227 of my manual-2003-it says "total wt of rack+items not too exceed 75kg-165lbs",so that would work out to about 150 if you assume 15 lbs for the rack.
Where did you read the 150 figure-150 is the figure I remember,but I can't find it.It will drive me crazy 'till I do.
One reason I went for the EX was that I noticed that the LX add-on rack was rated much lower,and I knew I was going to be pushing the 150 limit.The crossbars surprised me with their beefiness.They are at least 10,and maybe 15lbs for the pair.
If you can find where it says 150,let me know.Maybe it is a sales brochure?Thanks,Charlie
150 lb probably comes from Marketing, where 1 KG = 2 Lb in marketing terms. :)

I will tell you from experiance, that weight on the roof does greatly affect the stability of the vehicle in emergency situations.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
charlie: Those two numbers (for the 2003 EX and LX) for the weight limits just stuck in my head, but for the life of me, I can't remember where I got them from... Owners Manual? Service Manual? Sales Brochure? Press Kit? I really don't remember!!! :8: :bonk:

ZoneIII: Agreed... common sense is always an excellent co-pilot... :D

N_Jay: Should I believe the weight limits for my running boards or not? If it said, "Not to exceed 300 lbs (making up the number)" for the 2003, ya think they might've palyed the same "change the numbers to beat the Highlander" game? :confused:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
kemosabe said:
[N_Jay: Should I believe the weight limits for my running boards or not? If it said, "Not to exceed 300 lbs
You don't look over 300 from your pic :)

I would just weigh yourself on a metric scale, bet you won't be over 150! heheheeheh
:2: :2: :2: :2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts