Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My driver's side front outer CV boot is torn so I need to figure out a solution. My question is can you remove the front axle without removing the hub from the ball joint. In many previous cars that I have owned, you could leave the ball joint together and just remove the strut from the hub and articulate the hub downward to get clearance for the axle to come out. Does anyone have first-hand account of trying this? I just hate taking ball joints apart, and the vehicle is at 155k of salt-belt life, so I worry it will really put up a fight. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
My driver's side front outer CV boot is torn so I need to figure out a solution. My question is can you remove the front axle without removing the hub from the ball joint. In many previous cars that I have owned, you could leave the ball joint together and just remove the strut from the hub and articulate the hub downward to get clearance for the axle to come out. Does anyone have first-hand account of trying this? I just hate taking ball joints apart, and the vehicle is at 155k of salt-belt life, so I worry it will really put up a fight. Thanks!
In my experience, no.

Reactions: reverend_sean

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
Yes, I've done it by just disconnecting the two big strut bolts and a stabilizer bar link.
Be mindful, though, if your ball joint is old and somewhat worn, you might bugger it up, as it puts a lot of strain on it. Then you're on the hook for a new control arm. And if your stabilizer link is original it will not come off without a fight (most likely, will have to cut it and put a proper nice MOOG Problem Solver instead).

When installing new shaft, cover the outer boot with something so that it doesn't get scratched/torn again.

PS: I never had good luck replacing just rubber boots, they end up leaking shortly thereafter for me just about every time. So, now I just put new CV shafts in when it comes to that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I think I am just going to let it go till it starts making noise and do the ball joint, axle, and bearings in one fail swoop (pun intended based on my historic poor decision making). The outer tie rod and the end link are fairly new so they should come apart ok. I will circle back when i get around to doing it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts