Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helping a friend out with purchasing a Pilot (not paying for it). We found a really great one about 4 hours from home, the Carfax looks great and it had the timing belt done recently. The only issue I can find is that the transmission fluid was only changed twice (it has 150,000 miles). The first time was at 102,000 miles and the second was at 137,000 miles. I can't help but wonder if they started to experience problems and so they tried to change it a few times. Am I just being paranoid? Obviously it will be easier to detect problems when we drive it but this makes me a bit nervous.
I know a lot of people don't change the transmission fluid as religiously as people on here do, and things are fine, but there is a reason why people do it more often.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Helping a friend out with purchasing a Pilot (not paying for it). We found a really great one about 4 hours from home, the Carfax looks great and it had the timing belt done recent uply. The only issue I can find is that the transmission fluid was only changed twice (it has 150,000 miles). The first time was at 102,000 miles and the second was at 137,000 miles. I can't help but wonder if they started to experience problems and so they tried to change it a few times. Am I just being paranoid? Obviously it will be easier to detect problems when we drive it but this makes me a bit nervous.
I know a lot of people don't change the transmission fluid as religiously as people on here do, and things are fine, but there is a reason why people do it more often.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Jack, it's not a new Pilot, it's a 2007. What that means is that the purchase price should be low, and the buyer is hoping for the best. If the transmission is shifting smoothly now, that's a good sign. Nobody can give you a guarantee, least of all me! The buyer has to make his choice, and pay his money--or not. It's never a sure thing, but your 2007 doesn't sound bad.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jack, it's not a new Pilot, it's a 2007. What that means is that the purchase price should be low, and the buyer is hoping for the best. If the transmission is shifting smoothly now, that's a good sign. Nobody can give you a guarantee, least of all me! The buyer has to make his choice, and pay his money--or not. It's never a sure thing, but your 2007 doesn't sound bad.
Yeah I wasn’t asking for a guarantee. Just curious if no service for 100,000 miles and then suddenly every 30,000 or so would indicate there was a problem. Looks like a great car and obviously we’ll be able to tell more when we drive it. Thanks

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Honda gives you a choice ..change the fluid on a religious basis or .. have equipment failure plain and simple ... This is how Honda makes good money in the consumables that are required to
keep your Honda running ...the biggest ball buster I have come across is the timing belt ..i have seen timing belts come out at 100k and they look like they were just put in yesterday.
The newer the Honda the more maintenance intervals you need ...the older the pilot the less is needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts