Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Just found out my 09, now at 54K, has a leaking driver-side control arm bushing, often referred to as compliance bushing. I thought had been taken care of by the previous owner, but turns out it wasn't.

The first question is whether anybody has replaced a leaking bushing with an aftermarket part, and if so, what brand, and how has your experience with that part been?

The second question has to do with getting the work done. I'm not afraid to do my own work (having recently done my own timing belt job) but separating the ball-joint from the knuckle requires a tool that is almost as much as the labor to have somebody do it (if you buy the honda part). Have any of you had success with a non-honda branded tool for this particular job?

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
241 Posts

Just found out my 09, now at 54K, has a leaking driver-side control arm bushing, often referred to as compliance bushing. I thought had been taken care of by the previous owner, but turns out it wasn't.

The first question is whether anybody has replaced a leaking bushing with an aftermarket part, and if so, what brand, and how has your experience with that part been?

The second question has to do with getting the work done. I'm not afraid to do my own work (having recently done my own timing belt job) but separating the ball-joint from the knuckle requires a tool that is almost as much as the labor to have somebody do it (if you buy the honda part). Have any of you had success with a non-honda branded tool for this particular job?

Thanks a bunch!
I replaced mine with ones from rockauto. You don't need to seperate the ball joint. You can get enough room to replace them by pulling the axle out a bit. Just don't pull it too far out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BYUFAN!

Really appreciate your input. Are you saying to pull the axle from the tranny, or from the knuckle?

Either way, I assume you first pull the bolt from the front of the control arm, and the ones holding the bushing bracket to the frame, then pull the knuckle & arm away enough to remove the bracket support from the control arm?

When you re-assemble, did you have any issues re-aligning the arm & bracket as per step 9 of the repair procedure in the TSB?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I pulled it out of the transmission. You don't need a lot of room to get the compliance bushing out and the axle won't completely come out. After you get the new one in, I used another jack to push up on the lower ball joint to get the that angle in step 9 then tighten down the compliance bushing. Hope that makes sense.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does make sense BYUFAN; thanks a lot. I did look at the procedure for pulling the axle & it looks pretty simple for anyone with a crowbar. I'll give it a whirl!

·
Registered
830 Posts

Thanks a bunch!
I use a lever type ball joint separator that I purchased on Amazon. Gearwrench brand, under $20, and works very well on LCA ball joints as well as outer tie rod ends. It doesn't ruin the rubber boot, either, like a pickle fork will.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts