Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the final stages of considering buying a Pilot. I live in Canada, and am considering the EX-L model in Black. The MSRP is $43,000 + Fees + Taxes. This comes out to around $51,300 when all is said and done.

Did the test drive, took it out for 30 min on the 407 Toll road, drives like a dream, good pickup, low RPM's at cruising speed, overall great run.

I am planning to haggle with the dealer, but don't know how successful I will be. Markup on this vehicle is about 9% over Dealer Invoice ($39,345 according to CAA), so I might be able to knock a couple of percent off, and then add some options at a better discount. Most local dealers seem to have stock, so there is no apparant shortage at the moment.

However, in reviewing the forum threads, reading about the ups and downs, problems, stretched leather seats, etc. I am still wondering if getting the vehicle this early in the process is wise.

So, I guess what I am asking the forum regulars who already own a Pilot is this:

All things being equal, given the assorted minor issues and other "problems" with the vehicle, is the Pilot worth buying at this point in time? If you had to do it again, would you? Or would you wait until the 2004 model year when some of the bugs are worked out?

Just wanting to make an informed decision, and getting feedback from actual owners is the best information you can get.

Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks,

Anthony

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
What is your alternative?

Put together a Pro and Con list.
Then assign a $ value to each line.
I think the Pilot is about $2000 to $3000 (US$) ahead of the competition.
But this is a personal judgement.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Worth the Money

I too have been looking at the Pilot seriously for the past several months, and will eventually purchase. Need can really wait to the 2004 model year, but I would buy a 2003 if no changes are confirmed for 2004 (ie. no moonroof) if a deal was to be had. Waiting out the first model year is always best, but I think Honda is much better than most in this regard.

In looking at the "competition", the only real viable one on the market at this time is the MDX. I refuse to put premuim gas in a SUV....and don't want to buy a vehicle that the mfg. recommends something, but the salesman says is fine with regular.

In looking at the 2003 Expedition, the size is nice, but the quality, reliability, and resale value are not. Ford is in real trouble, and the cost cutting efforts are something they need to take out of every product, and they have been very upfront with this. Look at this:
http://www.bonforums.com/trucks/expy_2003changes16oct02.htm

I mean, is that little rubber plug so much to ask?

Looked at the 2003 4 Runner. Nice vehicle. Premium gas.
Also, nice sized moonroof and a lot more gadgets than the Pilot...
but most of those toys are for off road excursions. How many times are you going rock hopping in a brand new SUV?

The resale value of Honda's are tremendous!
Regardless if you sell them soon or not, the fact the vehicle has the quality and durability that you could makes the $$ well spent!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I suggest to wait for another 6 months or a year if you really want to buy a Pilot. There are still too many small problems and strange noises here and there now, and you need to drive everyday at all the different speeds to really know the car ....(my vin is 18xxx something...)

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
On the other hand

My vin is 11436, and all is well.

As for the sunroof, I would realy be surprised.
3 years and none on the Odyssey.
Would require a whole different roof pannel, since the ribbing starts so far forward. (No factory flat area for the sunroof.

·
Registered
28 Posts
All "SUV"s are over-priced. So what are you going to do? I havn't seen anything else that has Pilot's capability and reliability reputation for anything near the price.

As with any new model, waiting for the second model year might be wise if you can hold out. Demand usually goes down slightly leaving you more room to haggle and some of the bugs get worked out in the factory.

If you only need to haul 8 people, you might save a little money by going with a Chrysler for Ford minivan. But even then the savings are not huge, and you are stuck driving a plain old minivan, rather than a minivan that looks like an SUV.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Looked for 3 years

at all the SUVs available in the size I wanted and other than the MDX couldn't find anything I liked as well. There were still no discounts available for the X when I ordered the Pilot and I got the Pilot at list. That resulted in a price of about $4,500 US less than the X. There are some SUVs that are more plush, some look better, some are "true off-road"; but after driving almost all of them, I couldn't find a total package I liked better for the price.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would by another Pilot in a heartbeat. I can't tell you how much I love my car. As a matter of fact, I just told my husband that I think we should get rid of his Passat and get him a Pilot, too!!:12: :12:

·
Registered
289 Posts
chiquita..

do you have a sister that will marry me?:D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ha Ha!! As a matter of fact, I do......and she is available!!!;) ( I am sure that she will kill me when she hears that I am blabbing that info on the internet):22:

·
Registered
106 Posts
worth it?

Absolutely,

I have SS EX-L #361(hows that for early) In my opinion it is underpriced. IT beats explorer and trailblazer hands down. And with a 5 star safety rating just anounced. There is no SUV that offers the space, economy, quality and fun and safety that this pacakage offers.

I would not wait, I would go for it. If you are planning on spending anything over 40K on a SUV, the pilot is the best in class.

BTW, this thing eats the 401 like its no tomorrow!(I live in London). I bought mine in June and have very minor issues. Because it shares common platform with Odyssey/MDX most of the big issues have been worked out(exepting the water pump recall)

Anyone that considers a domestic SUV must be senile. Quality/safety/price all STINK.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
162 Posts
She doesn't cook, she doesn't clean, she doesn't do windows and her idea of fun is to stay in and watch golf on TV. Still interested???:D

·
Registered
186 Posts
swoTAM said:
I am in the final stages of considering buying a Pilot. I live in Canada, and am considering the EX-L model in Black. The MSRP is $43,000 + Fees + Taxes. This comes out to around $51,300 when all is said and done.

Did the test drive, took it out for 30 min on the 407 Toll road, drives like a dream, good pickup, low RPM's at cruising speed, overall great run.

I am planning to haggle with the dealer, but don't know how successful I will be. Markup on this vehicle is about 9% over Dealer Invoice ($39,345 according to CAA), so I might be able to knock a couple of percent off, and then add some options at a better discount. Most local dealers seem to have stock, so there is no apparant shortage at the moment.

However, in reviewing the forum threads, reading about the ups and downs, problems, stretched leather seats, etc. I am still wondering if getting the vehicle this early in the process is wise.

So, I guess what I am asking the forum regulars who already own a Pilot is this:

All things being equal, given the assorted minor issues and other "problems" with the vehicle, is the Pilot worth buying at this point in time? If you had to do it again, would you? Or would you wait until the 2004 model year when some of the bugs are worked out?

Just wanting to make an informed decision, and getting feedback from actual owners is the best information you can get.

Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks,

Anthony

My $.02 - GO FOR IT! I have 2 month old 2,500 mile Pilot Havasu - EX-L - RES - I have experienced none of the problems mentioned.

Bake in Wisconsin

·
Registered
33 Posts
Although my Pilot has been at the dealership for the past two weeks with an engine defect I would recommend this car to anyone. Up until the engine problem, which I believe is an aberration and will be fixed to ensure normal operation; I have not had a single issue with my four previous Honda/Acura automobiles.

Its size is perfect for my wife, twin 13 year old step-sons and 12 week old baby. Great ride, space, fun-factor and overall Honda quality make this one of the best SUV's on the market today.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Re: Re: Q: Pilot worth the $$$?

bakerlar said:
My $.02 - GO FOR IT! I have 2 month old 2,500 mile Pilot Havasu - EX-L - RES - I have experienced none of the problems mentioned.

Bake in Wisconsin
We have one just a few VINs away from Bake's (20,000 approx) and we too are thrilled with it. No problems whatsoever.
What's the VIN of the car? The higher the better...
The high 30.000's seem to be getting delivered lately.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Definitely worth the money.

My wife and I are thrilled with the Pilot. It's technically my car, but she keeps asking if she can drive it. My wife is not really a car person, but she totally loves the Pilot.

The other sport utility that I've owned, a Jeep Grand Cherokee, doesn't even compare. The Pilot is a much smoother, quieter, and "better feeling" car all around.

I'd definitely recommend it to any of my friends looking to buy an SUV. I haven't experienced any problems at all with the car aside from the saggy leather seats (which I can live with) and occasional wiper fluid dribbling onto the hood from the sprayer (which I intend to fix with the advice I found in these forums).

Bottom line, IMHO this is a great car. :29:

-Pj

·
Registered
389 Posts
chiquita said:
She doesn't cook, she doesn't clean, she doesn't do windows and her idea of fun is to stay in and watch golf on TV. Still interested???:D
I might be able to hook you up! I know this lady she has a great personality, great cook, loves sports and intelligent.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Get the Pilot. The bonus of getting the Canadian version of the EX-L is the heated seats and mirrors. I'm not sure why Honda does this because it gets just as cold in a good part of the States in the winter; sort of reinforces the silly idea of the "great white north".
We have experienced minor issues with our Pilot but nothing that would dissuade us from buying it again.
For your info I can buy GM and Chrysler at factory cost but we chose to buy the Pilot. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts