Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who purchased your Pilot out of state, can you share your experience on how you registered the vehicle in your home state. Were you given a title from the state where you purchased the vehicle to take with you, or were you given a Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin? Did the documentation come from the dealership, or your lien holder? Thanks.

·
Registered
725 Posts
My Experience

My wife and I live in Colorado, but found our PILOT at Shack-Findlay Honda in Las Vegas, NV. Our experience was easy.

The dealership gave us a temporary out of state transportation slip to put in the corner of the windshield and the dealership took care of getting all the paperwork to the DMV in Douglas County, CO.

Once the paperwork arrived at DMV, an employee at the DMV called us to let us know they had all of the paperwork needed to register the vehicle and get it licensed. We paid the sales tax and registration fee for Douglas County and we were done.

It was very painless (except for writing that huge check to the DMV for sales taxes and fees).

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Good point re sales tax

PILOTinginCO, you raise an interesting point.

If you purchase in-state and are seeking 100% financing, you can get tax, title and license added to your financing contract, thereby avoiding / minimizing the up front out of pocket costs.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I got 30 day tags on the car from the state where I purchased. A couple of weeks later the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin came in the mail and I took that, along with the purchase contract to my local DMV to get the car registered and pay the taxes. I paid the sales tax to my home state, paid the year's registration and I was on my way. It wasn't an issue at all.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Good point re sales tax

sfhondapilot said:
PILOTinginCO, you raise an interesting point.

If you purchase in-state and are seeking 100% financing, you can get tax, title and license added to your financing contract, thereby avoiding / minimizing the up front out of pocket costs.
True, but who wants to pay interest on tax.:eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone purchased an out of state vehicle from Florida? I live in Virginia. I'm having a terrible time. All I want is a temporary tag and the dealer wants to collect the Virginia sales tax as well as the Virginia title and registration fees before giving me the temp tag. I want to pay all of these fees when I get to Virginia. Anyone have experience with Florida?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts