Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family is very interested in a Honda Pilot, upgrading from a CR-V. I found a good price on a 2016 but it has 144,000 miles. I trust Honda's as our CR-V as about 245,000; just not sure if it's a good idea to start at 144,000. But so many used Pilots in our price range have high miles! Please advise!!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
If you have a CR-V with that kind of milage, then your no stranger to maintenance. Have you seen the service records and carfax? The transmission can be a weak point. Make sure it shifts smoothly. If all is in order and the price is right then go for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have a CR-V with that kind of milage, then your no stranger to maintenance. Have you seen the service records and carfax? The transmission can be a weak point. Make sure it shifts smoothly. If all is in order and the price is right then go for it.
I know it's one owner and accident free. Unfortunately have not seen maintenance records. A quick look at Carfax without paying for the report says 21 records... ??‍♀ I'll ask the dealer if they can provide a Carfax report. A different dealer provided one on a Pilot we wanted that sold before we could get back to the dealer. Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
603 Posts
First year run new body style? NOPE. Elite or Touring? Not on your life. Too many issues reported on the 2016's and 2017's for me to not be in warranty.

If I were buying a 3 row SUV with 144k miles, but still relatively new and therefore expensive cost..... it would be a Toyota Highlander, or suck it up and go minivan.

P.S. If you have the VIN - you can enter that into your Carfax garage and see some more data on it.

Reactions: AJ10

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
793 Posts
Yeah I’d look for a lower mileage 2015 or something. We encountered lots of high mileage 2016s and were too nervous to pursue them really. Just seems too risky. Plus that is a very high amount of mileage for being a relatively new car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I’d look for a lower mileage 2015 or something. We encountered lots of high mileage 2016s and were too nervous to pursue them really. Just seems too risky. Plus that is a very high amount of mileage for being a relatively new car.
Thanks, was thinking similar. Just wanted to get some opinions with experience. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
What's the price? If the vehicle is cheap enough and I feel my risks are properly mitigated I'd consider it. But if the price isn't a steal I'd probably walk for the reasons others have listed.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Just $14,000.
One owner. Haven't seen Carfax yet.
Seems like a good price. 2015's are similar in price with that mileage. Around here they start at $16k and go up. My only heartache is if you have a major electronics issue, or fuel injectors, you could be out a lot more money. And you'd need to know that the timing belt/waterpump/spark plugs service was done at 105k or you can add that to the expenses.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
No wrecks? Call the places that did the service if it doesn't explicitly say timing belt on the Carfax... maybe knock a little bit more off the price I don't think that's too bad at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@144k miles, I would think most of the “new model” issues would have been revealed by now. There’s a risk with any used car with that kind of mileage. I would want to see what TSBs were done on the car, just to get a sense.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My family is very interested in a Honda Pilot, upgrading from a CR-V. I found a good price on a 2016 but it has 144,000 miles. I trust Honda's as our CR-V as about 245,000; just not sure if it's a good idea to start at 144,000. But so many used Pilots in our price range have high miles! Please advise!!
Don't buy it unless you have the service records that all the 4 things that typically go bad or are worn out have been changes. Otherwise that good price could double real quick if you need brakes, alternator, water pump with belts, idler pulley, battery, tires, ball joints, idler arms, shocks, spark plugs and fuel injectors, oxygen sensor etc. Check diagnostics making sure the car was driven for a week after the error lights were shut off to make sure they don't come back on. If they reset the errors they will stay off for 1-3 days because it takes many starts for the diagnostics to do every test. The problem area/sensor may not get tested and new buyers get fooled if they have no warranty, "Buy As IS". Ask a Honda dealer if the computer shows the last time the computer was Reset, whether your buying from that dealer or not just to get good information.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very different point of view ! ! ! High mileage on new equipment is not the same as high mileage on old equipment as long as there has been maintenance on the new vehicle.
You are not dealing with rust, dry rot and heat damage on the newer car.
A different point of view.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts