Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
The mileage doesn't scare me, as long as ALL scheduled maintenance has been performed. I have two Pilots, 2003 and 2007. Both have over 170k and I fully expect to reach 250k or 300k in each. I am fastidious about maintenance, and do much of it myself. In the case of this vehicle, you if were to get 300k out of it, you would be paying effectively $13,500 for 125k miles. Roughly 11 cents per mile, not counting maintenance, fuel, etc. Seems kind of high to me, but I am kind of a cheapskate when it comes to cars. I paid more than $10k for a car only once, and regretted it.

Being a leased vehicle, I would think there should be many dealer service records. Tranny service and timing belt are the biggies. Also, despite the young age in years, the vehicle has a lot of wear. You might be looking at suspension and steering parts, belts, hoses, etc., in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would get an older Pilot with less miles and pay $13K. 172K miles is really a lot of miles. If you set your mind in this car, better check ALL the maintenance records.. Again Pilot will go for 300K with good maintenance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How many miles do you drive a year?

I would not invest $13k in a pilot with 170+

It might go 5 years easy with regular maintenance or…
You may Pay through the nose with alternator starter AC compressor brake cylinders master cylinder AC condenser differential wheel bearings wheel cylinders speed sensors antilock components, Power steering pump van screen/nightmare And if you’re really lucky hi mtransmission or engine issue will be the final nail

I have an 08 with 235k and do everything myself, can you replace commonly used up components yourself?

If that Pilot stops in two years would you be satisfied with its cost?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Seems like a trend, but I would also not spend that kind of money on a car with 172k miles. If you consider the money you're going to put into maintenance and replacement of things that are worn, you could instead pay the same (net) amount up front for a vehicle that has 1/4 that mileage.

No way would I take that deal. Maybe for just under 100k miles. But 172k? Nope.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wouldn't buy a car with that mileage, especially mileage accumulated in such a short amount of time. I'd keep looking as there is no upside to paying 13k for a car with that amount of mileage. Look for a car with less mileage, even if it has fewer bells and whistles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can you see maintenance records in the Carfax report? My experience has been with that with proper maintenance time (especially outdoor idle time) is harder on cars than miles (again, assuming it has been washed, fluids changed, etc.)
Check Cargru for a real value on the Honda, and how long the dealer has had it on his lot. Seems high for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m looking at a one owner 2016 pilot touring with 172,000 miles. It was a leased vehicle for personal use and has had no accidents.

That’s a ton of miles- but it also makes the price great at $15,400. Dealer is very motivated to sell and is offering $3,000 above book on my trade (2015 F-150 XLT supercrew).

Purchasing the Honda would l save me about $100 a month in car payments- not to mention it is a much nicer vehicle in terms of features and comfort and also MPG.

Would you make the purchase?
Just be sure you are on top of the blue book value. Driving a Pilot on the highway is easy on the brakes, transmission and engine. Our 2005 Pilot has 217,000+ miles and it's still going strong. Be sure the timing belt was changed. And change all the fluids when you buy it.
The Touring is a $50,000 vehicle these days. Not much risk, bro.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts