Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at a one owner 2016 pilot touring with 172,000 miles. It was a leased vehicle for personal use and has had no accidents.

That’s a ton of miles- but it also makes the price great at $15,400. Dealer is very motivated to sell and is offering $3,000 above book on my trade (2015 F-150 XLT supercrew).

Purchasing the Honda would l save me about $100 a month in car payments- not to mention it is a much nicer vehicle in terms of features and comfort and also MPG.

Would you make the purchase?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
$15k for a vehicle with 172k miles... Just doesn't smell right to me.

My Traverse had 81k for a 2014 and got it for $14k... I feel like I have more life to get out of it than I would a 172k 2016 example.

Reactions: Tourist2012

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s more like $13,500 when you factor in the extra he is giving on my trade. He’s offering $3,000 more for my trade than I paid for it retail

·
Registered
10 Posts
It’s more like $13,500 when you factor in the extra he is giving on my trade. He’s offering $3,000 more for my trade than I paid for it retail
Can you see maintenance records in the Carfax report? My experience has been with that with proper maintenance time (especially outdoor idle time) is harder on cars than miles (again, assuming it has been washed, fluids changed, etc.)

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I mean it's your call, I just don't like the risk.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I’m looking at a one owner 2016 pilot touring with 172,000 miles. It was a leased vehicle for personal use and has had no accidents.
Check for proof that the timing belt (and tensioner and water pump and spark plugs) have been replaced - at about 105K miles.
If not, reduce the purchase price by about $1500 and expect to have that work done immediately.
If so, it will be due again at about 210K miles.

Also, check the service records for evidence that the transmission fluid has been changed regularly - about every 30K miles.
Same for the rear differential fluid, assuming that this is the 4WD/AWD version.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
845 Posts
Only if the price was much lower. That's a TON of miles in a very short time.
As far as finding a car with transmission fluid changes every 30,000 miles....good luck. Very few people follow that interval so you will be continuously disappointed. Just make sure it's been done a few times and you will be fine.

·
Registered
136 Posts

That’s a ton of miles- but it also makes the price great at $15,400. Dealer is very motivated to sell and is offering $3,000 above book on my trade (2015 F-150 XLT supercrew).

Purchasing the Honda would l save me about $100 a month in car payments- not to mention it is a much nicer vehicle in terms of features and comfort and also MPG.

If it's properly maintained, 172k isn't a problem. Carfax doesn't show everything. It would be a good idea to have a mechanic to take a look. Many local shops offer such service.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
As far as finding a car with transmission fluid changes every 30,000 miles....good luck. Very few people follow that interval so you will be continuously disappointed. Just make sure it's been done a few times and you will be fine.
Transmission fluid changes done every 30K miles on a vehicle with 172K would have occurred five times.
How does that compare to what you would call "a few"?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
845 Posts
Transmission fluid changes done every 30K miles on a vehicle with 172K would have occurred five times.
How does that compare to what you would call "a few"?
All I’m saying is I’ve never seen one that has had changes every 30k. Typically I see every 60-70k. I’m not going to overlook a otherwise perfect car just because of that. Obviously you can tell a lot by the way the car drives as well.

·
Registered
223 Posts
IMHO I would NOT. if you were to get in an accident, would your insurance cover the costs of replacement? If you do, I suggest getting GAP insurance and extended warranty (if there is one?) on that vehicle. I'm not sure if Kelly Blue Book even hold that value on that mileage. Most dealerships in Cali don't take in vehicles on trade with that amount of mileage 100k+, if they do they're ripping your head clean off.
Just my $.02

2019 Touring AWD MSM

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Just adding that the ZF9 tranny recommends flushes at higher intervals than the Honda 6speed. I'd imagine that many miles would have required at least 2. Think the first is 70k if I remember correctly.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I personally wouldn’t trade my vehicle in for a vehicle with that high of mileage, especially if you’re financing it. If you’re set on a Pilot, I would keep looking. You can probably find an older Pilot with less miles in about the same price range.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The REAL cost that people don't think about is depreciation cost. You are at that mileage where MANY people won't touch it at ANY price. Carmax wouldn't give you 1/3rd of it and you'll have some dealers offer you $500 for it (literally). In 28,000 miles, you crossover the 200k mark which is a big psychologically one.

In comparison, my previous-gen 2013 EX-L with 105k is worth somewhere around that.

If you do it, plan on keeping it for 10 years and doing LOTS of various part replacements as belts, hoses, suspension components, radiator, etc fail as they reach their "end of life". Any money invested in repairs will NOT increase the value of it.

Financially, you'd be better off with a more expensive model with fewer miles that would be easier to sell when you are done.

·
Registered
64 Posts
OK. So the dealer want the price for the year but don't consider the milles. For me 172K milles is 275k km.
A lot of driving for a 3 year car. Highway driving for sure. The guy almost sleep in the car. And was a lease.
He pay also for the extra milles over the limit given the lease contract. More money for the dealer.
This is the dealer who sel the car new? In my experience the people who lease a car don't do any
maintenance because is not they car. The best option is to plug the OBD reader and see what he say.
For the maintenance everything is relative. The dealer can say many stories but the bottom line is about you
how much you love the car and also how bad you want to change your truck. If you buy it, first thing in the "morning"
change all the fluids and be sure about the timing belt and water pomp proof of changing one time. If not do it.
Also, maybe the seller give you new tires and brakes… Anyway the car will need some TLC.
Conclusion: If you like the car you will buy it no matter the people say but be prepared… Good luck.

·
Registered
376 Posts

I dumped my 16 elite when it had ~6500 miles. One of my best decisions ever! The salesman will say anything to make a sell.
Other then saving a few bucks. Why do you want this vehicle? Is it the stereo, the tranny? No bro, don’t walk. RUN!

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
69 Posts

The mileage would not scare me. The price is good, presuming it has good tires and a thorough service record. At 45K miles/year, this was all freeway use by a sales guy.

My biggest concern is was the tranny fluid serviced as spec'd every 30,000 miles? Was it driven in a salty snowy area?

Well cared for, these vehicles will go 300-400k miles

·
Registered
376 Posts
I dumped my 16 elite when it had ~6500 miles. One of my best decisions ever! The salesman will say anything to make a sell.
Other then saving a few bucks. Why do you want this vehicle? Is it the stereo, the tranny? No bro, don’t walk. RUN AWAY very FAST!!!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts