Resurface rotors only -pads at 50% now?
New brake pads, resurface rotors?

car is at 70k miles

·
Registered
9,923 Posts
Never heard of "rotors out of alignment."
Try (re)bedding the brake pads.

At 70K, have the pads and/or rotors ever been replaced?
If so, with which parts - Honda or aftermarket?

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
All I know is the factory brake pads are not very good. They tend to gum up causing rotors to scar. Buying brake pads that produce less dust is what I'd look for. Someone posted recently that O'Reilly's resurfaces rotors cheap. Not opposed. The key is to have a smooth braking surface whether new or resurfaced. If driving on salted roads, I'd probably go for rotors that are coated with rust protection. No need for slotted or drilled.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not a new problem with Honda Pilots. My old 2010 which had 130k on the clock...replaced the original, after 30 or 40K- it was really bad, got a second one aftermarket lasted maybe 60K started to have the same problem - had to be resurfaced at 40K, the third one - didn't seem to have any issue but I was not able to find out because the car was totaled but it had about 25-30K and no problems of pulsating.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would suggest loosening your lugnuts and retightening them properly and seeing if the problem goes away. Mechanics love to gun those things on and walk away, and the torque is usually uneven and out of spec. Every time I have my tires rotated I end up having to retorque the lugnuts to keep from having brake judder.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
620 Posts
I would suggest loosening your lugnuts and retightening them properly and seeing if the problem goes away. Mechanics love to gun those things on and walk away, and the torque is usually uneven and out of spec. Every time I have my tires rotated I end up having to retorque the lugnuts to keep from having brake judder.

This is a great idea.

Definitely do this first and then take the next step.

·
Registered
781 Posts
All I know is the factory brake pads are not very good. They tend to gum up causing rotors to scar. Buying brake pads that produce less dust is what I'd look for. Someone posted recently that O'Reilly's resurfaces rotors cheap. Not opposed. The key is to have a smooth braking surface whether new or resurfaced. If driving on salted roads, I'd probably go for rotors that are coated with rust protection. No need for slotted or drilled.
I personally think it’s the opposite. Those factory pads don’t dust much at all nor wear the rotors or themselves much. The best brakes I’ve found for resisting vibration have been the bmw brakes on my 3 series… they dust like mad and tear up the rotors… but they stop great and never vibrate.

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
I personally think it’s the opposite. Those factory pads don’t dust much at all nor wear the rotors or themselves much. The best brakes I’ve found for resisting vibration have been the bmw brakes on my 3 series… they dust like mad and tear up the rotors… but they stop great and never vibrate.
I'm going by default. What's on the vehicle when it's new. Seem a lot of low milage 3rd gens with brake issues.

Reactions: Flybox1

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
You bought a Pilot? A brand new one? From a Honda dealer? Really? When did this happen?
My Pilot wasn't new when I got it, but I replaced my factory brake pads earlier than one should. Had grime built up on the old ones. I like the smooth braking that the Raybestos Element 3 gives. You should try them.
Yes, I've bought many new Honda and Acura vehicles in my lifetime.

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
Do you have the complete service history for that used vehicle?
If not, how do you know that the brake pads were original?

Any new Pilots among those vehicles?
The vehicle having 19k mile on it when I got it. I'll stand on that.

·
Registered
11,776 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had this issue with my 2011 Pilot. First, you can’t turn a warped rotor. The rotors need replacing. I replaced my 2 pilots and my Acura with Bosch rotors that are coated to prevent rust. I have to tell you the Bosch rotors are fantastic. All three of my cars have them. I also replaced the pads with Akibono pads. Got it all from rock auto. I no longer buy car parts from Amazon. There are way too many counterfeit parts. I saw there are even counterfeit oil filters being sold.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
321 Posts
+1 for the akebono proact pads.

always replace pads and rotors as a set to ensure the pads get bedded properly. for the cost of "resurfacing" an old rotor its best to just go ahead and slap a new one on. they're all coming from china either way no matter what brand you buy. I'm a fan of centric rotors just NOT the base level "c-tek"

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
321 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts