Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Touring 7P Platinum White Pearl
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...a few months ago, i jumped on here to ask for advise regarding switching from a Sierra to a Pilot. I took the info, thought about it for a few months. Talked about if with the wife. Well after A LOT of thinking, we decided it would be best to go with trading in the truck and getting a Pilot.
Picked up at 2021 Touring 7P one week ago. Wife is much happier with her Pilot that she was with the truck.

Going to get it tinted tomorrow...limo tint all the way around.

I am thinking of going with a clear bra...but my worry is I've seen some vehicles with yellowing or dirt outlines. So still thinking about it.

Later, thinking of adding a factory tow hitch with tranny cooler/harness. Wont do much towing, but just in case. Hitch is more just in case we take a trip to Mexico soon.

Lastly, will add the Honda roof cross racks...again, more room for luggage for road trips.

Slowly but surely it will get there.

Thanks again to all for the advice a few months back!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Nice Pilot!
If you plan on keeping it past the warranty, you may want to consider disabling the VCM. This will keep your engine firing on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time. This has been proven to prevent engine and transmission related issues.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
+1 for a VCM disabler.

You can get one here...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice Pilot!
If you plan on keeping it past the warranty, you may want to consider disabling the VCM. This will keep your engine firing on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time. This has been proven to prevent engine and transmission related issues.
Thanks!! I appreciate the tip...curious, would disabling the VCM affect the warranty? I know on my Sierra, i thought about it several times, but knew it would void the warranty.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Kinda scratchin' my head as to how it would void warranty.🤷‍♂️

Reactions: angelc93

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Thanks!! I appreciate the tip...curious, would disabling the VCM affect the warranty? I know on my Sierra, i thought about it several times, but knew it would void the warranty.
I been on the forum a year. I don't know of anyone who has been denied a warranty claim while equipped with a VCM disabling device. Not saying it would or wouldn't. I would say it will likely keep you out of the dealership service dept. It is easy to install and remove.

Reactions: angelc93

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,316 Posts
On the yellowing issue. Look at the 3m product to see if it meets your needs.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If worried about warranty just take it off before you go to the dealer. It’s 5 minutes to take it off. S-VCM is what I have to disable ours.

Congratulations on the new Pilot!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I been on the forum a year. I don't know of anyone who has been denied a warranty claim while equipped with a VCM disabling device. Not saying it would or wouldn't. I would say it will likely keep you out of the dealership service dept. It is easy to install and remove.
I will definitely look into it...I have a buddy that works on GM trucks with the AFM and is constantly fixing engines and installing mechanical defeats once they are rebuilt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If worried about warranty just take it off before you go to the dealer. It’s 5 minutes to take it off. S-VCM is what I have to disable ours.

Congratulations on the new Pilot!!
If its easy enough, i will definitely look into it! Thank you!!

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
A Sierra has a VCM to disable?

Mexico? Where do you live?

(THIS is why it should be mandatory to at least put your home state in when registering!)
How else am I going to find all these people LOL?

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
10,238 Posts
Would they even be able to tell a VCMTuner II was on there?
To the untrained eye, it might look like a rat's nest of gobbledygook, but to someone who's elbow deep in that day after day, it might tend to stick out like a sore thumb,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A Sierra has a VCM to disable?

Mexico? Where do you live?

(THIS is why it should be mandatory to at least put your home state in when registering!)
How else am I going to find all these people LOL?
Yes, GM vehicles have AFM, Active Fuel Management...same concept I believe. Those were just a dongle you could plug into the OBD-II port.

Well, we live in Houston, Texas...but have family in Jalisco Mexico, about a 18 hour trip that we've made several times. So hopefully the Pilot makes the trip soon!

·
Registered
113 Posts
How can I tell when VCM turns on in my 2021. I feel nothing. In my parents Odyssey there is a dash light Eco that flashes on I think when VCM is on and you can feel it.

·
Registered
10,238 Posts
The VCM system has been refined over the years since it first appeared on 2WD Pilots in 2006. On the early 2nd generation Pilots it was quite noticeable and so were the deleterious effects. Now you hardly feel it anymore. Whether its ill effects are still there or still as severe is up for debate.

No matter how seamless they make it, I'm of the opinion that the purported advantages, like ever so slightly increased mileage and nicer CAFE numbers for Honda, are outweighed by the disadvantages of the slow but sure nefarious effects on your engine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The VCM system has been refined over the years since it first appeared on 2WD Pilots in 2006. On the early 2nd generation Pilots it was quite noticeable and so were the deleterious effects. Now you hardly feel it anymore. Whether its ill effects are still there or still as severe is up for debate.

No matter how seamless they make it, I'm of the opinion that the purported advantages, like ever so slightly increased mileage and nicer CAFE numbers for Honda, are outweighed by the disadvantages of the slow but sure nefarious effects on your engine.
I agree. It's so temping to do this mod, but I don't have any side-effects. I have an Eco button on the dash. If I keep this off, does it keep VCM off?

·
Registered
10,238 Posts
The negative effects of VCM accumulate over time. So the sooner you disable VCM, the better.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts