Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me paranoid, but...

Has anyone else noticed a pronounced clanking noise when shifting from Drive to Reverse? With no movement, something seems to catch kinda hard... compared to going from Park to Drive or Park to Reverse, which is smooth as silk.

I'm taking it in tomorrow to get the rear mud guards installed, and I'll ask the dealership about it then. Just wanted to hear from the group if this is common for a Pilot with only 100 miles on it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Stop parking on a slope...

Or if you do, engage your parking brake before shifting your car in and out of drive---

·
Registered
55 Posts
There are rarely any slopes in Houston. We are as flat as a pancake except for the "potholes".:25:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in Houston... the only visible slope around me is a small ant hill in my front yard :D

What you are saying makes perfect sense, but this was happening on flat cement with the brakes firmly pressed.

So the only strain I can see is the engaging/disengaging from Drive to Reverse. I realize this transition isn't a "simple" one, but hearing a pronounced clanking on such a new vehicle makes me a bit nervous.

·
Registered
288 Posts
rtresco said:
Call me paranoid, but...

Has anyone else noticed a pronounced clanking noise when shifting from Drive to Reverse? With no movement, something seems to catch kinda hard... compared to going from Park to Drive or Park to Reverse, which is smooth as silk.

I'm taking it in tomorrow to get the rear mud guards installed, and I'll ask the dealership about it then. Just wanted to hear from the group if this is common for a Pilot with only 100 miles on it.

Thanks in advance.
I have posted the same issue before but did not get much help from the piloteers here.It happened to mine too,and only from D to R not from P to R.It's been more than a month since the last I heard that clanking noise.For some reasons,it just stopped by itself.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have posted the same issue before but did not get much help from the piloteers here.It happened to mine too,and only from D to R not from P to R.It's been more than a month since the last I heard that clanking noise.For some reasons,it just stopped by itself.
About how many miles were on your Pilot before the sound stopped? I'm wondering if this just happens on some Pilots before they fully break in...

·
Registered
288 Posts
rtresco said:

About how many miles were on your Pilot before the sound stopped? I'm wondering if this just happens on some Pilots before they fully break in...
I did not notice how many miles it was when it stopped,but I have 5500 miles now so I would say it stopped around 5000.

·
Registered
67 Posts
We have the same noise but it is not as bad as the 2002 Acura TL-S with the 5 speed auto that we got rid of because of the notorious transmission problems. We have a black LX and there is no real clank but there is a 'sound' when shifting. I hope the tranny is not the same as the one in the TL...

·
Registered
991 Posts
I hear that same noise you do when going from park to reverse.. My Wifes Jimmy does the same thing.. It sounds like something is engaging, but not sure what..

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I noticed the same noise when shifting from D to R. When I brought Pilot in for installation of dealer installed options, service tech said noise was "normal" when shifting slowly from D to R and that noise does not occur when shifting quickly from D to R.

Tech was right about that, but I still wonder why there is any noise at all. Cited it as a concern to Honda when I received their survey.

Something to watch out for!

Would be interested to hear from anyone who has received better satisfaction from a dealer other than "don't worry - that's normal".

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would be interested to hear from anyone who has received better satisfaction from a dealer other than "don't worry - that's normal".
I would also! I was also told this morning that it was normal; I must admit that when I demonstrated it to them it didn't seem quite as bad as yesterday. Isn't that how it always goes???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts