Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchase a new 2014 Pilot. I am trying to program the garage door opener but having major issues.

Here what I have tired so far.

1. 2014 Honda Pilot EX-L
2. Craftman garage door (use random key to program)

I have program this garage door with new remote control and benz.

Here is the steps.

1. Erase all the program on the homelink by pressing/holding the 2 far left and right button on the home link ( button 1 and 3)
2. Went to the garage door opener to hit the "learn" button
3. run to the car and press the 1st button for 10-30 seconds still no luck

After checking out the homelink website did the following

1. Went to the garage door to hit the learn button
2. Hold 1st button for 2-3 seconds than release for 1 second, than hold for 2-3 second, release for 1 step and press and hold for 2-3 seconds for 3-4 times
3. still no luck

I try with the engine on, the key turn on where the battery being used but engine not started, no keys in the engine and still nothing works

·
Registered
271 Posts
You need to have the garage opener within a foot of the buttons and then hold both garage door opener button and the one in Pilot and it will program the button in Pilot yyou held to program.
You cannot program via the wall garage opener button afain.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to have the garage opener within a foot of the buttons and then hold both garage door opener button and the one in Pilot and it will program the button in Pilot yyou held to program.
You cannot program via the wall garage opener button afain.

I am using a smart garage door opener. You cant program using the remote cause it use the random key generator. I have done this to different cars and remote.

I even follow these instruction

HomeLink

----

1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink® buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)
  2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (usually located on your visor, overhead console, or mirror), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.
  3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)
  4. Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.
    • If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.
    • If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.
  5. At the receiver (motor head unit), locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the device owner’s manual.
  6. Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.
  7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I am using a smart garage door opener. You cant program using the remote cause it use the random key generator. I have done this to different cars and remote.

I even follow these instruction

HomeLink

----

1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink® buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)
  2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (usually located on your visor, overhead console, or mirror), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.
  3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)
  4. Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.
    • If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.
    • If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.
  5. At the receiver (motor head unit), locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the device owner’s manual.
  6. Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.
  7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.
Using your remote is exactly how you program HomeLink with rolling code technology. See instruction item #2 on your post. I had a bad transmitter and once I purchased a new Lanier remote for my Chamberlain opener, HomeLink programmed immediately. On my Mother-in-law's opener which is the older technology, all I had to do was press the purple learn button and it programmed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Using your remote is exactly how you program HomeLink with rolling code technology. See instruction item #2 on your post. I had a bad transmitter and once I purchased a new Lanier remote for my Chamberlain opener, HomeLink programmed immediately. On my Mother-in-law's opener which is the older technology, all I had to do was press the purple learn button and it programmed.

I did all of the steps, even with the remote. I even reprogram 2 remotes to make sure that its was not the garage door opener.
I have tired to program my wife toyota camry to and it still does not work, its something with the homelink bs.

Also as you can see it steps 1-3 does not work I need step 4 for the rolling code the "learning" button. Its something with homelink system, other cars that dont use homelink work without any issue, so weird

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the answer on another forum.

Home link dont tell you this but you have to do double programming.

You have to program the homelink with the remote and than use the learn button to program it right away.

I did not have to do this to my benz and other device but only for the homelink products.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I found the answer on another forum.

Home link dont tell you this but you have to do double programming.

You have to program the homelink with the remote and than use the learn button to program it right away.

I did not have to do this to my benz and other device but only for the homelink products.
That's interesting......whatever works at the end of the day is what it's all about as I didn't have to go through your steps to set up HomeLink on my Pilot. Until I replaced the garage opener remote, I have to admit I was probably as frustrated as you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's interesting......whatever works at the end of the day is what it's all about as I didn't have to go through your steps to set up HomeLink on my Pilot. Until I replaced the garage opener remote, I have to admit I was probably as frustrated as you.

I had to do it for both cars. My wife Toyota Camry 2011 and the honda pilot 2014. I have the craftsman garage door opener built in 2005.

Its so dumb why I have to program it twice, first with the remote than with the learn button. So weird,
But yeah , its works.
I did the upgrade for the LED lights to the car too. I looking at all weather floor mats

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just purchase a new 2014 Pilot. I am trying to program the garage door opener but having major issues.

Here what I have tired so far.

1. 2014 Honda Pilot EX-L
2. Craftman garage door (use random key to program)

I have program this garage door with new remote control and benz.

Here is the steps.

1. Erase all the program on the homelink by pressing/holding the 2 far left and right button on the home link ( button 1 and 3)
2. Went to the garage door opener to hit the "learn" button
3. run to the car and press the 1st button for 10-30 seconds still no luck

After checking out the homelink website did the following

1. Went to the garage door to hit the learn button
2. Hold 1st button for 2-3 seconds than release for 1 second, than hold for 2-3 second, release for 1 step and press and hold for 2-3 seconds for 3-4 times
3. still no luck

I try with the engine on, the key turn on where the battery being used but engine not started, no keys in the engine and still nothing works
I have the same opener and programmed as was stated. Press button on console until light comes on, keep depressed, point the garage remote and point at console while keeping both buttons depressed until light goes out (about 20-30 seconds)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just did this too, same problems. Honda instructions were not complete.

I pulled up the Raynor website instructions and all worked out after that.

It does make sense for the rolling code type opener. You always have to use the learn button as the final step with any new remote, and that's what your programmed homelink is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New Liftmaster with rolling codes

It did take a couple of tries to get the Homelink working with my new Liftmaster system. I had to learn an existing remote a couple of time, by using the erase all function at the start of each session, but eventually, after programming with the existing remote, followed by going through the learning process with the garage door, I was able to get the Homelink system working. I have not compared the range to my existing remotes, but so far it seems to be good. I do have to press the Homelink button longer and sometimes more than once to get it to work. I think that I am used to the Liftmaster remotes which continue to transmit for a couple of seconds, after pressing the button so you do not need to hold them at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am the owner of a 2005 Honda Pilot (hey they are great cars, they last forever!). I was researching how to re-program my HomeLink system in my Pilot for a new garage door opener. It is worth noting to those of you that have older Honda before 2008, that if you have a newer LiftMaster or similar type of garage door opener, and your car that has HomeLink is a model year 2008 or older, you will need to purchase a repeater or what is called a Compatibility Bridge. Chamberlain sells them online (they own LiftMaster). Also the LiftMaster Facebook page has a detailed write up on the Homelink Repeater Kit - it is worth reading. I just ordered mine, if I get it all working I will come back and write a follow up report- hopefully success!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the post and the cure.
Train the Homelink with a working remote (20) seconds then "train" the garage door motor to the Homelink (2) seconds.

I recently move to another state and faced the same flustration trying to train the Homelink on my 2013 Touring Pilot.
My dealer trained his shop door to my Pilot to show me mine was working !!!!
I was about to buy a remote device and abandon the Homelink after weeks of trial and error to make it work.
My 2013 Accord Crosstour would train in 2 seconds (without the owners manual procedure) as I found when I wiped out the codes on the Crosstour, the remote on my daughters Element, and a new outside keypad.

Strange the 2013 Crosstour and Pilot train differently?
My garage door is True Value made by Chamberlin with a "orange"train button on the motor.
Your thread solved my problem -Thanks to all !!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a used 2012 EX-L a couple months ago, and had issues as well when trying to program my Genie garage door opener to HomeLink. After reading this thread, and going back and re-reading the manual, I finally got it to work. Here's what I did:

1. Removed all prior programming by holding buttons 1 and 3 for 10 seconds until the light started flashing rapidly.

2. Held the remote button and the HomeLink button simultaneously until the light started flashing rapidly.

3. Pressed the "learn" button on my Genie.

4. Pressed the HomeLink button for 2 seconds.

After that, it worked like a charm. For those that say the HomeLink instructions are incomplete, or that they don't say to double program for openers with rolling codes, that is incorrect (at least for my 2012). My book has a logic flowchart on page 439. After the first programming step with the remote, it asks if the LED blinks at a faster rate within 20 seconds. If yes, you go to the next step, which is basically testing to see if the door opens. If it doesn't, the flowchart says to press the HomeLink button again, and asks if it flashes for 2 seconds and then stays on. If it does, it means your opener uses a rolling code. The next step is to press the learn button on the opener and then come back and press the HomeLink button. So the proper instructions for rolling code openers is in the book.

Although, I had to read it a few times to understand the flow, it can be a little confusing at first.

Reactions: HondaMC1

·
Registered
1 Posts
I programmed my Home Link garage door opener in my 2013 Honda Crosstour, and it works just fine but my old fobs for the door opener and my outside key pad do not work now. Is there a way to make all these devises work together?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I programmed my Home Link garage door opener in my 2013 Honda Crosstour, and it works just fine but my old fobs for the door opener and my outside key pad do not work now. Is there a way to make all these devises work together?
You don't say what kind of door opener you have.

I had two Genie units, made around 2002, in my old house. Programming HomeLink on them was a pain, doing 2 Hondas/Acuras to operate both doors, 2 Genie fobs, and a Genie keypad.

It took forever. The Genie instructions said that each opener could have 10 remotes programmed to it. What the manual didn't say was that as they were programmed, one of the 10 memory locations was randomly chosen during the programming process.

So I'd program a couple remotes, and everything went fine. When I got to the 4th or 5th remote, the openers would start randomly overwriting previously programmed memory locations, making the fobs or car remotes that I had already done, stop working.

Stupidest programming I have ever seen.

At least Genie seems to have corrected this problem since. My current house has remotes that were made around 2012, and I don't have this problem any more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts