Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am new honda-pilot.org, but must say that I found this site extremely helpful when buying my Pilot. I have a evergreen pearl EX which I picked up in early November. Really enjoying the car. However, one big issue I have is with the front hood. The overall alignment is terrible and not what I expect from Honda. The hood is extremely hard to close as well. My Pilot only has ~400 miles on it and I already have three small dents in the front of the hood from trying to close it. Has anyone else noticed the poor alignment of the hood or the experienced the difficulty of closing the hood? I am thinking about having the dealer replace the hood at this point.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
The hood can be adjusted side-to-side, fore-and-aft, and up-and-down for better fit. It isn't a difficult thing to do - all hinge adjustments. I imagine there's a latch adjustment, too, but I don't have a svc manual in front of me. Your dealer should be able to handle it.

Unfortunately, you've discovered that Honda sheetmetal isn't tremendously thick. Depending on where you left your "impressions", it might be better to have a paintless dent repair place (like DentPro, DentWizard, etc) do it rather than replacing the whole thing. Assuming, of course, the adjustment/alignment goes well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hood Closure

I have to agree that it does not latch easily but you do not have to use your hand to close it. All you have to do is drop the the hood and let gravity take care of the rest.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The hood should be as well aligned as the rest of the body panels.
Mine lines up fine and closes with ease (I just drop it from about 6" up).
As the Worm points out the sheet metal is much thinner than I'm happy with (as the dent from a rear door in a parking lot showed me).
I once had a car with an aluminum hood (79 Olds Cutlass). I just about put my hand through it before I realized it was aluminum.
IMO the dealer should have fixed this prior to delivery, talk to them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Maybe this thin hood sheetmetal is the reason they didn't put any sound deading material under the hood - couldn't support the added weight!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately, the adjustment of the hood position would likely do little to correct the problems. It seems more of an issue with the actual stamping of the hood itself as the gap between the hood and the side panels is inconsistent across the length and the front of the hood overhangs the front grill by 1/4" (the alignment at the rear of the hood with the side panels is correct). Thus it would seem this hood somehow made it through QC when it should not have. As for closing it, the drop from 6inches is closer to 10 or more, and is very loud! I will be talking to the dealer about this.

·
Registered
494 Posts
kkruetz,
Your warranty should cover it take it back and tell the dealership about it.

Good Luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts