Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -
New to the forum, but I've been a Pilot owner for almost a year. I'm quite happy with the Pilot - aside from some annoyances (the window squeak, gas mileage not quite what I thought). I've noticed lately that my tires have a sort of brown tinge to them and its not mud, dirt, etc. I know that tires will react to the environment and will turn brown after years of wear, but of couse I've only put ~7500 miles on 'em. Also I've noticed a slight bulge in some of the tires, which according to another thread on this board, could indicate a defective tire. I'll probably end up taking it to a goodyear dealer to be on the safe side, but wanted to get an opion from the experts here :). Oh yeah - I've checked all tires with a digital gauge - and inflated to 35 PSI (yeah I know - a little over the manufacturers
minimum :) )

PIC of bulge:

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Not sure about the bulges. If they are a concern, take them by a Goodyear dealer.

The brown color is normal on all tires. I have not had it on my Goodyear's but on other tires. If you use a tire dressing, or protectant, it doesn't happen.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
chris said:
and a pic of the "brown" :
Are you saying that they have a bulging spot, or that they bulge at the bottom?

Bulging spot is typically a separation within the tire. Have it looked at right away

Bulging look at the bottom is very normal for radial tires.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
That tire and the treadwear (in the second picture) look ok to me.

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the speedy replies - you guys are fast! Basically the bulge is at the bottom of the tire - which I'll take it, is a normal condition.

thanks much!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:D the pilot is a heavy vehicle and the tires are not of the low profile ones so you expect bulging on the part that touches the ground. to clean your brown spots, try washing your tires with regular dish soap then use stp foam tire black.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Try washing your Pilot every now and then... A little tire cleaner will make them look much better!

·
Registered
45 Posts
My Bridgestone Duallies turned brown after my off-road trip up by Prescott. So did the whole car, of course it already is. I think the brown is dirt embedded in the rubber.

My tires bulge at the bottom too. As long as the bulge stays at the bottom, you're OK. If it appears at the top, you've got a problem. I've had tread separation before on other vehicles, and it's readily apparent visibly and as a thump and vibration when you're moving.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
RLumpy, was this thump and vibration noticeable at only certain speeds or during pretty much the whole drive when you a tread separation problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
RipRocK said:
RLumpy, was this thump and vibration noticeable at only certain speeds or during pretty much the whole drive when you a tread separation problem? Thanks.

Pretty much at all speeds, but of course a suspension has it's particular resonant frequencies which will exacerbate the effect at certain speeds.

Curiously, I once had a '63 Jeep Wagoneer upon which I installed bias ply nylon cord tires. They would flat-spot overnight and thump at lower speeds, but not at higher speeds when the centrifugal force would iron out the unevenness. But a separation would probably be worse at higher speeds by the same effect.

If the separation is even all around the tire, though, you may not feel any vibration.

Hmmmm, YMMV, or is this the wrong thread? :1pat:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
RLumpy said:
Hmmmm, YMMV, or is this the wrong thread? :1pat:
I'm the one who asked you the question in the first place and we're still talking about tires, right? :p Thanks for your reply though, I'm just trying to pinpoint the reason/cause for something my left rear tire was doing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts