Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having the Pilot for 2 weeks now, I find myself wishing things were a bit different and find myself noticing little problems/complaints. These are small, but I am posting them for solutions, responses, or for Honda to take note of:

1. dead pedal - I have noticed that it slopes toward the center of the car, making it an effort to keep my left foot relaxed and comfortable. Anyone else notice this?

2. night driving - when I turn down the dash board lights to a comfortable level, the center console lights are way too dim to easily read the heater settings, etc.

3. more night driving - the garage door opener buttons are not lit, making it a hunt and stab effort in the dark. (The dark steering wheel buttons being unlit have already been posted.)

4. panel brightness control knob - it is in an awkward spot to easily use. I tend to want to adjust it as my night driving moves from well-lit to dark roads. In every car I have ever owned, this has been an easy control to operate.

5. heating controls - they are way too confusing and require pressing too many buttons too many times just to get warm air to come out the dash and feet without a hurricane effect. And who ever heard of pressing the A/C button to turn it OFF! When set for floor heating only, air STILL comes out of the left and right dash board vents. The rear controls don't seem to affect the temp in the second seat much, it just allows the air to be turned off.

6. window main control switch - when I use that switch to turn off control of windows for passengers, I want to be able to adjust all the windows from the driver seat without having to turn the switch on and then back off when I'm done!

7. cold air leak - now that it is cold, I have noticed that on both the driver and passenger sides, my outside foot gets extremely cold from what feels like an air leak from the outside. Even with the heat controls turned up and set to floor only, the outside foot still gets uncomfortably cold when placed anywhere near the door. If I take a trip of more than a 1/2 hour, I will need to wrap by foot in a blanket. Anyone else notice this?

I still love the Pilot and would get it again, but I sure do wish . . .

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more item

map lights - these are more general lights that light up the entire interior of the car. Map lights should be a tight stream of light that is focused on the person's lap for individual reading and not bother the driver/others when the a map light is turned on. The same for the second and third row seats. When my daughter turns on her 2nd row light at night to play Game Boy, it really bothers me that it lights up the whole car.

I know - nit-pikky stuff, but I sure do wish . . .

·
Registered
991 Posts
I love your knit picks. There is always some in every vehicle..

My favorite is "wrapping your foot up in a blanket"

That one is new

:2:

I will probably find others, but don't know if I can beat yours

take care
rob

·
Registered
991 Posts
now now, the title of the thread is NIT PIKS, I am sure we all have some..

Lets give him some warm support (especially for his feet!)

just had to say that:2:

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don't know, but look like you purchase the Pilot by Catalog, you looking for every single tiny detail. Let me tell you, if this is your first honda i warrantee you'll happy, but do not look for the little Nit-piks enjoy all the other amenities you got with this great SUV.

Enjoy your pilot is rated No 1 so look closer for the nice features this wounderful vehicule delivery to us for the money with pay.

I'm streamelly happy with my truck I love my pilot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Those annoying deficiencies

Who ever laid out the climate controls should be forced to live in a Pilot for a year or three.
A/C button should be where the OFF is with a light to boot. Defroster next to hatch defroster? Very distracting.
My old Accord had the same issue with the side vents. Just close them in the winter.

And why not illuminate the HomeLink buttons? and the non-ash ashtray (but the space under the console has a dim light).

Adjustable travel on the 2nd row seats, and a truly flat floor. (BTW by working with the seat back release and fold flat release, you can fold the 2nd row and move it forward to create more rigid floor space).

A more positive lockout for the gear shift so I don't end up in 3rd rather than 4th gear.

Real SUV tires that are'nt noisy, like Michelin or Toyo.

BUT
It does impress people with space, ride, power, overall impression.
Great in the snow, comfortable for long trips, lots of cargo area, quick handling and it fits in the garage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your concern about my cold outside foot . . . and please don't get me wrong, I do love the car AND appreciate all of the things that Honda did get right. It just seems that because they got SO much stuff right, why didn't they just take one last look around and finish off the job. The quality of a car is in the details and Honda did get a lot of the details perfectly, but I sure do wish . . .

I also wanted to know if anyone else had similar problems and if they found any solutions/answers to them.

Now it's time for me to go out and drive around in one of the smoothest shifting, roomiest, most comfortable cars in its class!

·
Registered
76 Posts
A few I guess......
auto-locking of doors at a certain speed.......
better antenna for FM......

I still have a few I'd like to mention but I think the Acura MDX has those features. Though it would have been nice if they were options for the Pilot.
All in all though, I'm loving it. My first brand new car was a 1993 Civic hatchback. I suppose first impressions last........

·
Registered
54 Posts
I havent noticed any of those nit picks.. but:

1. I never turn down the instrument lighting.. ever.. in fact, most of the time, I'm reaching over to check to see if its already as bright as it will go.. of course, this is in my Civic.. in the Pilot, the instrument lighting is comfortable for me..

2. It sounds like you're in a much colder climate (if this is obvious to most people, forgive my ignorance.. I only care about the weather where I am at any given moment in time).. my A/C controls are set at 72 +/- 1 degree.. aside from that, we rarely touch it.. since we've only had the Pilot for 1.5 weeks, I find I'm "playing" with the A/C controls just to play with them.. I've never noticed the cold air "leak".. but that may be attributed to our apparently different climates.. but no, never noticed a "breeze" or anything.. although I will say, my Civic leaks air due to deteriorated weather stripping..

3. Homelink.. this one, I can relate with.. the first few nights we were driving home, I was fumbling to press the correct button.. but after reading your post.. I was thinking.. my regular garage door opener (Liftmaster) isn't lit either.. but I don't really find that to be a problem now.. I'm so used to hitting it to open the garage or gate that I usually hit it on my first try.. so I was thinking maybe the lack of a lit Homelink button may seem like an inconvenience at first.. but I suspect we'll all get used to it and it wont make a difference later.. but I could be wrong..

4. Dead pedal.. I didn't notice.. although I did think it was kind of "flat".. like if the dead pedal was more "angled", it'd be a better place to "press" my foot up against.. rather than being more like a "flat pad" to step on.. if that makes sense..

5. Power Window Lock.. havent noticed it yet.. but its not like this in my Mazda or our old Toyota.. can't remember for the Civic.. but, a couple of days ago, I was pumping gas and this elderly lady asked me if I could help her "roll up her window".. I followed her to a brand new Lexus ES300.. immediately, I saw the window lock was on.. I turned it off and she was able to roll up the window.. I even told her I thought that was strange because I always remembered the driver side controls being able to control the windows regardless of window lock.. maybe its a new thing that manfucaturers are doing.. why ? I have no idea..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is a couple I didn't see and was wondering if anyone else had noticed. Gray wearing off steering wheel on the top edge, I had it replaced once and it is happening again. And, windshield washers that leak fluid for a couple of days after using, mainly when turning.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just picked up my brand new EX-L RES from the dealer last night. The salesman walks up to me as I entered the showroom and says, "One little problem, the windshield is cracked. You'll have to make an appointment to bring it in and have it replaced." Not sure why they couldn't have taken care of this before they called me to come in and pick it up. Anyway, the seven-inch crack was not shipping damage, but allegedly was due to improper installation. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience out there.

·
Registered
92 Posts
glider, when Honda calls you to survey your experience with the dealer, make sure to tell them about that.

My opinion is the dealer should be shut down for allowing you to take the car off the lot with a potential safety hazard on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah.. I heard in California, if the crack is longer than 6", the highway patrol or police can impound your vehicle because it is unsafe.. I never looked up the vehicle codes, but I heard this from a number of different people.. interesting that the dealer did let you take it.. they must have not noticed it until you went to pick it up..

Also, I've used the windshield washer a few times (on accident while getting used to the column shifter) and I have yet to experience the nozzle leak that so many people have mentioned.. dunno if I've just been lucky, not noticed, or perhaps its been corrected (picked mine up on 12/30)..

·
Registered
411 Posts
Tom,

Great observations.

I opine that each owner should make a "nitpick" list and submit it to Honda.

(Maybe some of the ones you mentioned could be addressed by the dealer?)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Overall happy, but if you insist, 4 nitpicks.....

After 1500 wintry miles.....

1. Probably my biggest nit is that my radio reception leaves a lot to be desired, FM and AM. So, I've taken to listening to CDs 95% of the time.

2. An occasional squeaky noise that I think is coming from the driver's door. But it actually seems to be decreasing lately.

3. I would have preferred clicking on the bright lights by pulling the control IN rather than pushing it OUT. Just seems more natural.

4. This nit doesn't concern the car itself, but it sure would have been nice if the Pilot floor mats--plus the all-weather floor mats I paid extra for--would have covered more of the driver's floor area.

But, all and all, do I love driving this car?? YOU BET!!!!

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
A Real Nit-Pick

One of mine is that "CH" button on the steering wheel to change the radio station, CD track, and DVD track: I wish it were like the "Vol" button where you can go up AND down.

Sometimes I'll be listening to a 16 track CD and I want to hear track 6 again. Well, in order to go to the previous track, I have to use the control on the radio -- else I have to press "CH" 15 more times to cycle around!

Yes, I know... big time nit-pick!! :eek:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Re: Overall happy, but if you insist, 4 nitpicks.....

Ziploc said:
After 1500 wintry miles.....

1. Probably my biggest nit is that my radio reception leaves a lot to be desired, FM and AM. So, I've taken to listening to CDs 95% of the time.

2. An occasional squeaky noise that I think is coming from the driver's door. But it actually seems to be decreasing lately.

3. I would have preferred clicking on the bright lights by pulling the control IN rather than pushing it OUT. Just seems more natural.

4. This nit doesn't concern the car itself, but it sure would have been nice if the Pilot floor mats--plus the all-weather floor mats I paid extra for--would have covered more of the driver's floor area.

But, all and all, do I love driving this car?? YOU BET!!!!

The Radio reception you say is poor, I have noticed this too? On Am it sounds ok, but I find a little bit of distortion, on FM some channels are fine, but some sound like the speakers are blown!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tom said:
1. dead pedal - I have noticed that it slopes toward the center of the car, making it an effort to keep my left foot relaxed and comfortable. Anyone else notice this?
I amend by previous "dead pedal" comment. At the time I wrote this, I kept thinking that the dead pedal was much higher and more vertical than the real dead pedal. My left foot kept finding a semi-comfortable spot up higher but it didn't feel real comfortable and slanted to the right.

Now that I have actually studied the situation and see that I was NOT resting my left foot on the dead pedal but only in a place where I thought the dead pedal location existed, my only comment in this area is that the "real" dead pedal is too flat and not placed far enough under the dash next to or behind the other real pedals. My 1985 Nissan 300ZX has the perfect location (if any of you happen to have one of those).

Since my initial nit-pick list and another 2 months of ownership, I'm happy to say that I can't really add anything else to the list and am gradually getting used to all the other previously listed nit-picks. The Pilot is a smooth riding comfortable car.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts