Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2009 Pilot EX-L, some time ago driving on the highway I got DTC P3497 (VTM-4 on, Check Engine On). This continued to happen intermittently for a while, I was driving 1 month, the problem would go away, then it would come back, I also noticed that sometimes just before turning on the ECO mode the vehicle gave a little tug (not always). To correct the problem I bought the Dorman 918-056 solenoid, so I saw many had the problem solved by changing that.

I no longer have the problem on the road nor have I had the jerks when the vehicle goes into ECO mode, but now the code P3497 appears every time I start the vehicle for the first time in the day (cold engine), the engine vibrates a lot for about 5 minutes and after that it stabilizes, then I erase the code with the scanner and I can drive without problems ...

I have read that some solve the problem of the P3497 code by changing the second oil pressure switch (DTC P3400) that goes on the back of the engine, the code is 37240-R70-A04.

I already bought it and I am waiting for it to arrive, I will keep you posted if the problem is solved with that.

Sorry for my english

·
Registered
10,550 Posts
Hi, I have a 2009 Pilot EX-L, some time ago driving on the highway I got DTC P3497 (VTM-4 on, Check Engine On). This continued to happen intermittently for a while, I was driving 1 month, the problem would go away, then it would come back, I also noticed that sometimes just before turning on the ECO mode the vehicle gave a little tug (not always). To correct the problem I bought the Dorman 918-056 solenoid, so I saw many had the problem solved by changing that.

I no longer have the problem on the road nor have I had the jerks when the vehicle goes into ECO mode, but now the code P3497 appears every time I start the vehicle for the first time in the day (cold engine), the engine vibrates a lot for about 5 minutes and after that it stabilizes, then I erase the code with the scanner and I can drive without problems ...

I have read that some solve the problem of the P3497 code by changing the second oil pressure switch (DTC P3400) that goes on the back of the engine, the code is 37240-R70-A04.

I already bought it and I am waiting for it to arrive, I will keep you posted if the problem is solved with that.

Sorry for my english

View attachment 149737
It's the oil pressure switch that's needed.

I would park the vehicle until it's fixed. It can damage the engine.

·
Registered
10,550 Posts
Sorry for your troubles. Most of the time replacing just the oil switch will fix it. The assembly is held on with 3 10mm bolts. There is a filter gasket screen that may be clogged.

Or you may want to purchase the whole assembly....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for your troubles. Most of the time replacing just the oil switch will fix it. The assembly is held on with 3 10mm bolts. There is a filter gasket screen that may be clogged.
View attachment 150061
Or you may want to purchase the whole assembly....

I already changed it, it was the first thing I did, I am thinking of removing the dorman and putting the original honda back

Thanks for reply

·
Registered
10,550 Posts
Reactions: framirez

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only thing I have not done is change the engine oil, which is a little over the mileage.

I'm going to change the oil, if this doesn't work I'll put the original Honda solenoid back on.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put the original Honda solenoid back on and now I have no problems, I am going to test it on the road and wait until the DTC P3497 does not return.

Apparently the Dorman solenoid was bad from the factory, because I do not understand how it could cause problems if it is new.

Finally I just changed the oil pressure switch (37240-R70-A04).

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,550 Posts
I put the original Honda solenoid back on and now I have no problems, I am going to test it on the road and wait until the DTC P3497 does not return.

Apparently the Dorman solenoid was bad from the factory, because I do not understand how it could cause problems if it is new.

Finally I just changed the oil pressure switch (37240-R70-A04).

View attachment 150076 View attachment 150078

Thanks.
Not a fan of the Dorman. I'm now hesitant to recommend it. Please let us know how it goes.
When I got this code, I replaced the entire Vtec (VVT) solenoid assemblies with spools. I used Standard Motor Products. This required removing the rocker arm assembly to remove spool valve. I currently have 69k miles on these aftermarket parts with no problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts