Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 191,000 miles
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just had the timing belt done, also installed new Gates drive belt system with a new tensioner, idler and belt. Started it to do a drain and fill on the transmission and heard a clicking. Tracked it to the gates drive belt tensioner. Everytime the tension changes the load on the belts from hitting the accelerator or returning to idle a loud clicking can be heard. Just figured I’d give everyone a heads up about it. Here is a video!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,283 Posts
I have a video but idk how to import videos to here.
Just upload it to YouTube or similar, then copy the URL and paste it into the box where you type you message.

Tracked it to the gates drive belt tensioner.

What is it with Gates recently? First, they had a spate of water pumps fail, which can be fatal for your timing belt and interference engine, and now the drive (serpentine aka accessory) belt tensioner?

Time to hit up Rockauto again for a non-Gates one. I'd go with one with a little 🧡 next to it.

And you know about the 5% discount, don't you?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just upload it to YouTube or similar, then copy the URL and paste it into the box where you type you message.

What is it with Gates recently? First, they had a spate of water pumps fail, which can be fatal for your timing belt and interference engine, and now the drive (serpentine aka accessory) belt tensioner?

Time to hit up Rockauto again for a non-Gates one. I'd go with one with a little 🧡 next to it.

And you know about the 5% discount, don't you?
I got a YouTube link up in the original post now, take a look. And yeah, I might just order one from Honda on Monday.

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
I got a YouTube link up in the original post now, take a look. And yeah, I might just order one from Honda on Monday.
Eeesh, that sounds like the old screen door on my friend's cabin in the deep woods.

Yup, I'd say replace it for 50 some-odd dollars and thereby purchase some peace of mind.

Good of you to post the heads up.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
89 Posts
Yes these Honda’s are allergic to aftermarket brands that’s the reason why I needed to replace my engine because an aftermarket timing kit with a gates water pump tensioner gave out after 1700 miles and water pump leaked causing belt to jump off and bent my valves

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
Man, I feel bad for you. But thanks for the warning to the Piloteers community.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes these Honda’s are allergic to aftermarket brands that’s the reason why I needed to replace my engine because an aftermarket timing kit with a gates water pump tensioner gave out after 1700 miles and water pump leaked causing belt to jump off and bent my valves
I guess so! That’s the last time I buy anything aftermarket I guess.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
I've got a 3 year old Gates drive belt tensioner exactly like this one, with with 72k miles on it. No squeaks and the bearings in it were ok. Just recently reinstalled. I will not buy Gates again, but this thread doesn't run me to the stealership for OEM and pay 5 times the aftermarket price.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
This squeaky Gates tensioner thread doesn't run me to the dealership for Honda branded timing belt water pump parts. I've been using Aisin brand kits for many years. Aisin is an OEM supplier and the kit contains OEM supplier parts. Quit trying to scare the kiddies. Choose wiesly.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got a 3 year old Gates drive belt tensioner exactly like this one, with with 72k miles on it. No squeaks and the bearings in it were ok. Just recently reinstalled. I will not buy Gates again, but this thread doesn't run me to the stealership for OEM and pay 5 times the aftermarket price.
View attachment 142384
Oh damn well screw that I’m not gonna pay that much LOL I guess I’ll try continental like @stickercutting has. Or wait, I’ve got a gallon of WD-40, maybe I’ll take the gates one off and let it sit in a luxurious bath for a few days, see if it puts the tensioner in a good mood and stops it’s whining. 😂

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
Or wait, I’ve got a gallon of WD-40, maybe I’ll take the gates one off and let it sit in a luxurious bath for a few days, see if it puts the tensioner in a good mood and stops it’s whining. 😂
Maybe I'll try that on my old knee when it sounds like that to let me know there's a Nor'easter acomin'.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Oh damn well screw that I’m not gonna pay that much LOL I guess I’ll try continental like @stickercutting has. Or wait, I’ve got a gallon of WD-40, maybe I’ll take the gates one off and let it sit in a luxurious bath for a few days, see if it puts the tensioner in a good mood and stops it’s whining. 😂
I hope I detect some sarcasm in that post. And thanks for posting your Gates Serpentine tensioner noise.

Reactions: Depleted Islet

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts