Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Pricing this time of year 8/03

4K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  colorider 
#1 ·
With the impending 2004 models, the 2003 pilots will be last year's models in approximately 1 month.

Therefore, if I buy now I will take a 15% depreciation on my car's value in 30 days!

Now if I buy a 2004 model, it is only a 1-4% premium.

You would think that a discount is reasonable but I am still getting quotes for MSRP from some dealerships for the 2003.

What do you all think is a fair price at this time of year?

How much off MSRP?

I am interesed in both dealer's and consumer's prespective.

Thanks,

#2 ·
tmpilot2003 said:
With the impending 2004 models, the 2003 pilots will be last year's models in approximately 1 month.

Therefore, if I buy now I will take a 15% depreciation on my car's value in 30 days!

Now if I buy a 2004 model, it is only a 1-4% premium.

You would think that a discount is reasonable but I am still getting quotes for MSRP from some dealerships for the 2003.

How much off MSRP?

Thanks,
If you get a 2003, a year from now you'll have a low-mileage 2003. Mine will always be a high mileage 2003 because I've been driving it since June 2002, 3-4 months earlier than normal model year releases.

If you get a 2004, a year from now you could have a high-mileage 2004. Either way, as soon as you drive one off the lot you'll take a depreciation hit.

#3 ·
Re: Re: Pricing this time of year 8/03

jay said:

If you get a 2003, a year from now you'll have a low-mileage 2003. Mine will always be a high mileage 2003 because I've been driving it since June 2002, 3-4 months earlier than normal model year releases.

If you get a 2004, a year from now you could have a high-mileage 2004. Either way, as soon as you drive one off the lot you'll take a depreciation hit.
Another thing, if you plan to keep the Pilot (or any new vehicle) for say 5 or so years, it really does not matter that much if you buy a left over or a "new" model year. I think it all comes down to the price you can haggle today.

Just my $.02

Good luck tmpilot2003!
:)

#4 ·
I would not worry too much about the depreciation factor between the 03 and 04. You should be more concern about the features between the two.

I was at the dealership the other day and was told that they could try to find me an 03 at $500 off msrp or order an 04 for msrp (he estimate 3% increase from 03). It's a no brainer to go with the 04 but if the discount was more on the 03.. it's another story.

#5 ·
Prices seemed lower 3-4 months ago

I followed the Pilot prices for several months before buying.They seemed to be lowest(in TXand LA) around Mar or April.The dealers are now claiming that the Pilot is so popular that they are in short supply.BS,the short supplys are because Honda probably quit making 2003's months ago.Works out the same for buyers unfortunately,less supply,so prices stay up.Honda is very good at matching,or not quite matching,supply and demand;if they didn't they would have to really discount their product at the end of model year like most of the other dealers,even Toyota.Wait several months and buy 2004,if you can't get $1500+off MSRP on a 2003.Charlie

#7 ·
2004 prices in New ENgland

I spent this week calling and/or visting almost every Honda dealer in Mass looking for the best deal on a pre-prder of a 2004 Honda pilot EXL..

Here is a little synopsis of what I have found so far

Honda Villge In Newton -- No discount of MSRP and they wanted me to prepay 2k dollars. Basically buy the car in advance.... they must be smoking crack if they thought I would agree to that

Boch Honda -- They were willing to discount 500-600 hundred dollars but wanted a $2500 deposit...must be smoking the same crack as Honda Village ...I walked out of there as well

Berandi -- 500 deposit..no discount off MSRP

Commenwealth Honda -- 10% deposit . No discount ( another crack smoker)

Herb Chambers Boston -- 500 discount / 500 deposit

Clair Honda --- 950 discount/ 500 deposit ( best deal but I have heard that they guys are pretty unreliable)

Lungren Honda - No discount/ 500 deposit

Honda Cars of Boston -- 400 discount/500 deposit

#8 ·
http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3888
Check out my buying experience back in April. If you are in the LA area, you should be able to get a similar deal or better since the 04's will be here any day now. If you go to Nelson Honda, see Robert Chow. Other dealerships that may give you a good price is Metro Honda, Lancaster Honda, Diamond Honda, and Rock Honda. Good Luck!

#9 ·
sadsam - New England dealers

Hi, Sadsam, thanks for compiling the information for us. I too live in the Boston area (definitely wrong place to purchase a Pilot) and I had done some similar research about a month ago too, although at the time, there weren't too many dealers in this area even wanted to talk about 2004 models. I almost went with a out of state dealer before I had some (email) conversations with the internet department of Honda Cars of Boston. They were willing to match the other dealer, around 700 off MSRP and just 200 (fully refundable) deposit. And most importantly, I picked a car from the order sheet they had already placed so I can get it sooner. I know this was not the best deal out there. I'd probably get a much better deal if I order it from dealers in Ohio or something (heard many people had done that). But the timing and less hassel (for shipping the car to here) just worked better for us. The sales person we dealt with there were pretty nice too. I can get you the contact information if you are interested. BTW, we were just told that our Pilot will be "born" on Aug. 28, so hopefully we will get it shortly after that!

Good Luck Hunting!

#10 ·
I have a 2003 Pilot EX-L Nav being built for me this week. The deal I got was $31,214. No other dealer in the Chicago area would match this price. I was told by my dealer that a 2004 would only be discounted around $500. My 2003 will be discounted $1,766!

Great board!

ammdaddy

#11 ·
tmpilot2003 said:

How much off MSRP?

Thanks,
Fair price - Supply in demand sets the price in relation to msrp. If the 2003s are selling when they come in, what is your negotiating power. They are not going to sell the vehicle to you at 1500 under if they know that they can sell it to the next guy at close to msrp. It will not not matter what model year they have as long as they (the dealers) know that they can move them quickly.

Dealers perspective - You don't need to hear from a dealer on their strategy to know what they are thinking. Put yourself in their shoes, would you want to sell a car for less money so you could make a smaller commission, no way, they will continue to get close to msrp on the Pilots as long as they are in short supply.
This is their money maker, along with the Odyssey and perhaps the S2000. The Accords and Civics are mostly mini deals for the dealership.

Here is my thought on what will happen when the 04 arrives, the 04 will sell for full msrp or slightly above until all 03's are gone. The 03 will continue to sell at the same price as they have this year, there will be no bigger discount in relation to msrp.

my $.02

#12 ·
ammdaddy said:
I have a 2003 Pilot EX-L Nav being built for me this week. The deal I got was $31,214.
ammdaddy - got you beat by a dollar! My Redrock Pearl EX-L NAV is coming in on the 25th, with a price of $31,213 :D

#13 ·
I think we both got great deals, acheslow!<br><br>I got my deal through Autobytel. I was doing research on <a href="http://www.edmunds.com">www.edmunds.com</a>, and clicked for a quote. The dealer that responded was near my home and gave me that price right up front in his initial e-mail. In later conversations with my dealer, I think he regrets quoting me that price!<br><br>My Pilot is actually scheduled to be built this Saturday. I should be taking delivery in a couple of weeks.<br><br>Best of luck!<br><br>ammdaddy

#14 ·
New England Pricing

I too spent much time on the phone and on line trying to find the best price in the New England area (based in Southern NH). My local dealer could not provide the vehicle that we desired (EX-L in Sagebrush) in our time frame (pending lease turn-in 9/1/03). I avoided the Boston area, just based on the grapevine information in regards to pricing. My local dealer offered to match the best "local" price that I found or 30,051, but again lacked the unit. I ended up going through Town and Country Honda in VT. They took a 200 dollar deposit and handled everyhting over the phone. They had a white EX-L in stock and swapped our in, in its place. We piok it up in 5 days (can't wait!), but thus far they have been great over the phone and gave us a deal on the the lower trim and fogs. They also obtained financing at 3.69 for 60 months for us (Costco fiancing not available in NH at present time). In hindsight, my local dealer may have been able to swap a vehicle in and be competitive (after being beat by another dealer), but a sour taste has already been left. At least the sales manager reminded me to request no identfying tags from the other dealer be placed on the vehicle for servicing at their dealership. I guess service "takes care of their own". In my experience in the last three weeks, Western MA dealers want MSRP, Southern Maine dealers want MSRP. Keene, NH Honda would do 30,280, but would have to swap in an EX-L, without an EX-L in stock to offer in return. Hope this helps. Grappone Honda in Concord, NH would do 30,400 on a confirmed incoming. I saved all of my notes and can provide specifics if needed.

#15 ·
Done Deal

Thank you all for posting your experiences, facts, and opinions. I feel they were invaluable.

I would like to especially thank wwong for your email, experience, and facts. They really helped in the bidding and negotiation process.

With everyone's contribution, I was able to get a little more than $2000 off MSRP and am now a proud owner of a 2003 Pilot Ex in Havasu Blue.

#16 ·
Re: 2004 prices in New ENgland

sadsam said:
I spent this week calling and/or visting almost every Honda dealer in Mass looking for the best deal on a pre-prder of a 2004 Honda pilot EXL..

Here is a little synopsis of what I have found so far

Honda Villge In Newton -- No discount of MSRP and they wanted me to prepay 2k dollars. Basically buy the car in advance.... they must be smoking crack if they thought I would agree to that

Boch Honda -- They were willing to discount 500-600 hundred dollars but wanted a $2500 deposit...must be smoking the same crack as Honda Village ...I walked out of there as well

Berandi -- 500 deposit..no discount off MSRP

Commenwealth Honda -- 10% deposit . No discount ( another crack smoker)

Herb Chambers Boston -- 500 discount / 500 deposit

Clair Honda --- 950 discount/ 500 deposit ( best deal but I have heard that they guys are pretty unreliable)

Lungren Honda - No discount/ 500 deposit

Honda Cars of Boston -- 400 discount/500 deposit
I just placed an order for a 2003 silver EXL for $1500 below MSRP with a 4 week delivery window at a dealership outside of Boston. They will give the same discount on a 2004. If you are still looking for a deal pm me and I will send you the details. Good Luck.

#17 ·
don't hate me because i'm a tight wad

just got an 03 EX-L for 27,940, 3040 under MSRP, 24 over invoice, dealer did have a $500 admin fee, tho, and free wheel locks, oh boy.

many central FL dealers were near this price.

my negotiating skills aren't that great, i guess it's that time of
the year :)

FYI

#18 ·
Re: don't hate me because i'm a tight wad

corba said:
just got an 03 EX-L for 27,940, 3040 under MSRP, 24 over invoice, dealer did have a $500 admin fee, tho, and free wheel locks, oh boy.

many central FL dealers were near this price.

my negotiating skills aren't that great, i guess it's that time of
the year :)

FYI
We don't hate you!! :xnuts:

Just kidding of course!!! That is an EXCELLENT price!!!

Hey florida_guy - give corba a call!!!! Looks like there are Pilots to be had in Florida for some VERY good prices!!!

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.