Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to what I should budget to have a transmission cooler installed on 2019 Touring AWD. Looks like I can get the OEM part on line for around $300. Is this something my local mechanic can install or should I use the dealer? What have folks been paying for this?

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition - Trailer hitch & Harness, All-weather Mats, cargo mat, and Black Emblems
161 Posts
If your gunna go with this, I would say go with a dealer. Check out the instructions fromBernardi or CollegeHill, and definitely will see how fairly complex of an install it is. When I bought my ‘20, they quoted me “about $600 installed. Also, how heavy are you planning on towing? Would it be normally over 3,500lbs? If not, might be with reconsidering?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just curious as to what I should budget to have a transmission cooler installed on 2019 Touring AWD. Looks like I can get the OEM part on line for around $300. Is this something my local mechanic can install or should I use the dealer? What have folks been paying for this?
Your right, parts are about $300.00 I was told by the dealer it would be about $700 installed. Their is a lot to take off to install it

·
Registered
337 Posts
$700 in a Honda dealer installed it (with parts)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have quotes around $900 (parts+labor), but may be able to get one of the dealers to price match the he transmission cooler to College Hills Honda or such.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your gunna go with this, I would say go with a dealer. Check out the instructions fromBernardi or CollegeHill, and definitely will see how fairly complex of an install it is. When I bought my ‘20, they quoted me “about $600 installed. Also, how heavy are you planning on towing? Would it be normally over 3,500lbs? If not, might be with reconsidering?
Thanks, that's about what I was figuring. I am planning to only tow about 2000-2500 lbs a few times a year so I know I dont technically need it but I do want this car to last (the transmission on my 04 needed to be replaced at 130k and I never towed with it) so I was just trying to be overly cautious I guess. Since I do have the extended warranty I may just take my chances as it is.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I installed the hitch, electrical plugs, and tranny cooler myself when I purchased my '16 pilot brand new.
Let me tell you from first hand experience, if I knew how much work, pain, blood, scrapes, and exhaustion this was going to cause me, I would have done paid TWICE what they were asking.
I say that with one big caveat. I do feel better knowing I did it, only because the amount of detail, carefulness, and detailed effort I put into the install.
I cant for the life of me see a dealer mechanic doing all the steps the instructions called for and there were many steps that I (or the mechanic) could have simply not done that wouldn't be immediately noticable, but come back to bite you in the long run.
If I had a lift the job would have been 10X easier though.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition - Trailer hitch & Harness, All-weather Mats, cargo mat, and Black Emblems
161 Posts
Thanks, that's about what I was figuring. I am planning to only tow about 2000-2500 lbs a few times a year so I know I dont technically need it but I do want this car to last (the transmission on my 04 needed to be replaced at 130k and I never towed with it) so I was just trying to be overly cautious I guess. Since I do have the extended warranty I may just take my chances as it is.
I hear you and agree, I got the Extended warranty (if nothing but to get the roadside assistance) on mine as well and definitely baby it like sounds like you do. Based on my “research” into the towing (since I plan on getting the hitch etc in a year or so), the 2,000lbs should be no sweat, esp since it would be “occasional” towing. This is similar to what I plan to tow, and considering the considerable effort it is to mount the ATF cooler (on the 9 speed tranny), I’m leaning towards just having my dealer replacing the ATF fluid more often, to err on being overly cautious. As “Joe Honda” alluded, I would never trust or have faith in any dealer that they would follow every single step as written. If I’d be hauling a car or 4,000lb+ trailer on a typical / frequent basis, the discussion would be different...ends justifying the means IMO.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I installed the hitch, electrical plugs, and tranny cooler myself when I purchased my '16 pilot brand new.
Let me tell you from first hand experience, if I knew how much work, pain, blood, scrapes, and exhaustion this was going to cause me, I would have done paid TWICE what they were asking.
I say that with one big caveat. I do feel better knowing I did it, only because the amount of detail, carefulness, and detailed effort I put into the install.
I cant for the life of me see a dealer mechanic doing all the steps the instructions called for and there were many steps that I (or the mechanic) could have simply not done that wouldn't be immediately noticable, but come back to bite you in the long run.
If I had a lift the job would have been 10X easier though.
Damn, impressive you were brave enough to tackle it! How long did it take you? Did you have any issues with checking the ATF fluid levels or having any leak out?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Damn, impressive you were brave enough to tackle it! How long did it take you? Did you have any issues with checking the ATF fluid levels or having any leak out?
For the record, I have a 6-speed EX-L.
In terms of how long it took me, I'm embarrassed to say, no exaggeration cause I know what time I started. For everything, It took me 14 hours.
Why so long?
Well, I did the hardest part first, which was the tranny cooler, which took 5 hours.
The positioning and angles you have to turn your hand and reach are horrendous.
Next up was the hitch, you have all the space in the world, but existing bolts did not want to come lose at all. Two cans of WD40 of turning and spraying constantly, finally did the job.
Note to everyone that if you want a hitch, then do it when the car is almost new, otherwise get ready for a vicious fight with the bolts.
Those bolts took me forever.
You have to cut and remove parts of the plastic where the hitch goes. Then it was the electrical harness and removing the plastic inserts.
What I mostly remember about the electrical was the one step where you have to blindly find and unwrap electrical tape off some hidden plug inside the driver side rear trunk area with just your hands and you cant see it, which was very annoying.
In terms of the fluid, yes some leaked out when unplugging the tranny fluid hoses, but I had a drip pan and I had some tranny liquid from the dealer already at hand. You also need to add a little bit more because of the cooler.
I was very careful and years later never once saw a leak.
I started at 10AM and finished at midnight. Only breaking for 20 minutes to scarf down some pizza.
I'm pleased how it came out. I cringe when I see ugly aftermarket installs underneath the bumpers of pilots.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Damn, I got the 9 speed and I’m now really dreading the cooler...maybe if I ever get a boat, put it on at that point and just mount this hitch & harness now for ATV & Snowmobile towing. Yea that “blind” searching around, I think some evil Honda engineer gets a laugh every time....had a same issue on my previous Accord and mounting the OEM Fog Lights.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I negotiated the transmission cooler and hitch when I bought the car. I believe it was $900 and some change I tow a boat and trailer weighing almost 5000 lbs a couple of times a year. We have pretty hot summers so I’ve got a little peace of mind knowing I i some protection. Well worth it to me.

Reactions: zmarke01
1 - 13 of 13 Posts