Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Lol,
People,

You are really with heads up your arses...
If you can’t get normal price or constantly get screwed by your dealerships or “trusted” mechanics then it is your fault and no point to get offense in what I said.

I don’t live in small town out of nowhere. I live in NY metrostate area. The work was done in Brooklyn, NY with me being next to the guy, drinking coffee and watching how he performs the work. There is no secret work where you can’t not see what is done to your car because of “insurance liability” claim. You see what he puts in, you see what he takes out.
The work took between 5 and 6 hours on weekday. No hidden fees, no hidden agreement.
It is just a guy I always go to because he is honest - “super duper” trusted. This is not an advertisement of any sort, you just need to do your research before you spend $1500 on job that should cost $700-900 all in.
A friend of mine did timing belt replacement in NJ local Honda specialized shop and they charged him $900 and he said it was relatively expensive. And by the way, he just walked in there for the first time...
So, yes - those prices exist in reality.

I am sorry you got hosed by $600-800 on average but no reason to get upset at the deal I got. Everyone here can do that - you just need to call places or pm me if you live in Brooklyn or wiling to drive there.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Lol,
People,

You are really with heads up your arses...
If you can’t get normal price or constantly get screwed by your dealerships or “trusted” mechanics then it is your fault and no point to get offense in what I said.

I don’t live in small town out of nowhere. I live in NY metrostate area. The work was done in Brooklyn, NY with me being next to the guy, drinking coffee and watching how he performs the work. There is no secret work where you can’t not see what is done to your car because of “insurance liability” claim. You see what he puts in, you see what he takes out.
The work took between 5 and 6 hours on weekday. No hidden fees, no hidden agreement.
It is just a guy I always go to because he is honest - “super duper” trusted. This is not advertisement of any sort, you just need to do your research before you spend $1500 on job that should cost $700-900 all in.
A friend of mine did timing belt replacement in NJ local Honda specialized shop and they charged him $900 and he said it was relatively expensive. And by the way, he just walked in there for the first time...
So, yes - those prices exist in reality.

I am sorry you got hosed by $600-800 on average but no reason to get upset at the deal I got. Everyone here can do that - you just need to call places or pm me if you live in Brooklyn or wiling to drive there.
I agree with you. I agree with you so much, I try my best to do all the work I can. In my opinion you got hosed at what you paid. With the money you lost, you could have bought yourself a very nice set of tools and a family BBQ (with beer). There are DIY videos on this job. If you have time to stand there and watch, you could have done it yourself. Yeah I know, getting grease under your nails is not for everyone. I feel hosed when buying parts sometimes, lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fully agree if you can DIY, but I can only change fluids, rotors, breaks and shocks myself. I don’t touch engine.

If you do it yourself, you should offer your services to the community. Given how much they pay - you can easily charge $60-$70 per hour

·
Registered
658 Posts
Fully agree if you can DIY, but I can only change fluids, rotors, breaks and shocks myself. I don’t touch engine.

If you do it yourself, you should offer your services to the community. Given how much they pay - you can easily charge $60-$70 per hour
If you can do brakes, rotors and shocks, you can do timing belt water pump. That's how you start. Keep watching how to videos, then next thing you know you'll be rebuilding your own Pilot in your garage with no professional experience. Lol

21 - 27 of 27 Posts