Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I recently had the following service performed on my 2011 Pilot Touring model by my long time local mechanic: Timing and serpentine belt replacement; timing belt tensioner and water pump replacement; coolant replacement; spark plugs replaced. All of this for $1498.92. I am not questioning my mechanic's charge as I trust him from day one. Just curious what others have paid for similar service.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot LX
2,171 Posts
$1200 a couple years ago at a Honda dealer for everything you listed except the spark plugs.

I’m guessing the plugs would have been an additional $300 to $350 for the dealer to replace ($120 for plugs plus labor at $160/hour back then) but I did those myself.

So what you paid is inline assuming OEM parts were used.

·
Registered
511 Posts
IIRC my local mechanic is about $900 for the TB service items including water pump. Plugs would probably be another $300.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Serpentine belt, timing belt, water pump, tensioner, coolant change, I paid $850 to my local mechanic November 2019.
I did the plugs myself, easy to do, $60 for the plugs.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I always wonder how it could be done for less than $1,000? I live in a large city so I am assuming labor is much more expensive here? I trust my mechanic but last timing belt job was $1,200 and I felt that was pretty reasonable. I would consider traveling somewhere else to save $400+.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I always wonder how it could be done for less than $1,000? I live in a large city so I am assuming labor is much more expensive here? I trust my mechanic but last timing belt job was $1,200 and I felt that was pretty reasonable. I would consider traveling somewhere else to save $400+.
Jack, if you have some tools and you are a "handy" type, then I would encourage you to watch a few YouTube videos on the Honda J engine timing belt job. If it looks too challenging, then be happy and use the services of a trustworthy local mechanic. Or, if the job doesn't look all that tough, then please feel free to do it yourself. Do the homework, understand the job, buy the tools and parts, and do it.

By the way, all of the greasy members of this forum will be happy to share their experiences and tips with you.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Jack, if you have some tools and you are a "handy" type, then I would encourage you to watch a few YouTube videos on the Honda J engine timing belt job. If it looks too challenging, then be happy and use the services of a trustworthy local mechanic. Or, if the job doesn't look all that tough, then please feel free to do it yourself. Do the homework, understand the job, buy the tools and parts, and do it.

By the way, all of the greasy members of this forum will be happy to share their experiences and tips with you.
yeah I am not handy enough to do it myself and I don’t really want to mess with it. I just am curious where people are getting these great deals. I see the cost as a small investment for another 100,000 relatively trouble free miles. My local dealership would be abit cheaper but they include the power steering pump in their price and don’t allow you to“opt out” of getting that replaced.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hi all
I recently had the following service performed on my 2011 Pilot Touring model by my long time local mechanic: Timing and serpentine belt replacement; timing belt tensioner and water pump replacement; coolant replacement; spark plugs replaced. All of this for $1498.92. I am not questioning my mechanic's charge as I trust him from day one. Just curious what others have paid for similar service.
I think a lot/some of the price difference is in the parts since you requested OEM. Did he actually buy each part individually from Honda? You can buy an Aisin timing belt water pump kit (Aisin makes the water pump for Honda) from RockAuto that gives you all you need for the job (OEM), except your serpentine belt.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Does anyone know why some dealerships include power steering pump replacement as part of the cost? I never knew that was something you proactively replaced.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Does anyone know why some dealerships include power steering pump replacement as part of the cost? I never knew that was something you proactively replaced.
The only reason I can think of is that one power steering hose must be disconnected. They may feel that it is a liability. It's ridiculous.
I am curious as to what's involved in doing a 3rd gen timing belt. Never done one before with the new power steering.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Got mine for about 1200 a couple of years ago at the dealer. It was about the same price as the mechanic I sometimes use, but Honda gave a warranty—which I’m forgetting what right now. It seemed a no-brainer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
800 including pump from private mechanic on one and also 750 special at dealer for another. For spark plugs don't don't pay more than an hr of labor and $70 or so for the OEM plugs unless they are checking valves too (does anyone do the latter?).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks, Road yes, I specificaly requested OEM parts.
That's fair and with Honda parts.
I'm fortunate to have a good Honda dealer. No charge for diagnosis with repair. OEM parts and they do the job right the first time. With my discount in the past from buying it there and my present senior discount it's the way to go. They warranty their work too. I've used two independents with lousy luck. My fingers are crossed. 200K,no valve adjustment,original cats and O2 sensors,trans. 6K between oil changes with dino oil. If this one dies I'll
buy another 2005-2007 low mile one. I see original owner garaged Pilots for peanuts in Craigslist all the time. They have no idea what a gem they have. Aside from the two independents all work has been done at Pacific Honda in San Diego.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Aisin kit: $160
Spark plugs: $50-60 don’t remember
Serpentine belt: $25

Labor by long term trusted mechanic: $450
Total: $695 + $30 tip (I did not have to buy I always do).
Already 30k miles on it.

Yes, plainly put, I would replace your long term trusted mechanic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Whenever you ask prices on a forum you will get these kind of answers and they will be lowball prices that make you think you were stupid for not asking around. Usually the people are not telling you something that let them get the lowball price. You usually get what you pay for and that rule never changes.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Whenever you ask prices on a forum you will get these kind of answers and they will be lowball prices that make you think you were stupid for not asking around. Usually the people are not telling you something that let them get the lowball price. You usually get what you pay for and that rule never changes.
very true and when you live in the middle of nowhere (vs a large city) the price of labor is much cheaper.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Aisin kit: $160
Spark plugs: $50-60 don’t remember
Serpentine belt: $25

Labor by long term trusted mechanic: $450
Total: $695 + $30 tip (I did not have to buy I always do).
Already 30k miles on it.

Yes, plainly put, I would replace your long term trusted mechanic.
At $50 an hour he'd be claiming 9 hours to do the job? 🤔

1 - 20 of 27 Posts