Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm troubleshooting my 2003 that threw a code for the torque converter clutch lockup failure P0740. My service manual says to check the fluid pressure at "hole A" and has sketches of the different "holes" for all pressure tests. I have looked at the tranny and don't see the sections shown in the book. Can someone tell me exactly where this test port is ? What is the thread size of the hole/plug so I can find a fitting before I remove it.
I lowered the sub-frame a few weeks before this code appeared to replace the rack and pinion, the bolts were still threaded and it was only down 2 to 3 inches, the wiring and hoses didn't appear strained, is there a connector that I could've pulled a pin loose that caused the P0740 CEL code? Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts
Are you working with a bona fide 2003 service manual? In case you need one, try these locations to download it:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, this is a brown one, I' looking for my other one that is blue. They are original Honda service manuals, I bought the set of 3 that has all of the electrical / electronics schematics and trouble shooting.
My problem is I don't recognize the area of the transaxle shown in the sketch, top, front, rear. I would like toknow the thread size so I can have it ready for the pressure test.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts
Hopefully someone who's gone to your level of teardown can jump in with help.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
520 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. I'm trying to diagnose my 04 transmission issues and would like to check the pressure at several points, but the manual doesn't make it clear exactly where and how.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did some looking online at high res images that I downloaded and labeled the port locations that should match the service manual, I was able to tap the photos to zoom in, hopefully it will post that way. I tried downloading Manuals from Cardiagn but failed.
Andywatson, I hope this helps you, the procedures and specs are on pages 14-114 and 115 of the service manual. I still don't know the thread sizes of the ports, but will figure it out. Best of luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been wondering the same thing. I'm trying to diagnose my 04 transmission issues and would like to check the pressure at several points, but the manual doesn't make it clear exactly where and how.
I posted some photos to help ID them

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE, I found the test port thread size is an M8 x 1.25. I didn't have any luck finding any kind of fittings in the Dallas area, but ordered one from Amazon, selection was very limited and a little pricey. I was able to adapt this to my pressure gauge and check the fluid per the manual.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
520 Posts
UPDATE, I found the test port thread size is an M8 x 1.25. I didn't have any luck finding any kind of fittings in the Dallas area, but ordered one from Amazon, selection was very limited and a little pricey. I was able to adapt this to my pressure gauge and check the fluid per the manual.
Cool. What were your findings with the gage? Did you have proper pressure?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The service manual called for 130 to 140 PSI at 2000 RPM in park or neutral and service limit of 125 PSI. My gauge indicated 140 PSI. I had checked continuity between all the solenoids and the ECU PCU computer connectors and pulled all the solenoids to measure resistance, verify operation and were all good with clean filter screens. I changed the filter and the 3x fluid change (jack up the rear to get 4 qts. out per change, thanks for the tip Nail Grease). After all this and clearing code from the computer, it didn't trip the code again and works properly, locking the converter. I think the fluid change helped clean out the sticky valve/actuator problem. Valvoline Maxlife as recommended. I never had any problems with shifting, just converter lockup. I babied it through the troubleshooting and fluid changes. 215K on the original tranny. God blessed me. Saved $3500 for a rebuild. Hope you get lucky with yours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts