Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a review on Edmunds.com that said the MDX requires premium gas. Since the Pilot has the same engine I was wondering if this is really true. :confused:

·
Registered
664 Posts
It's all true. I am under the impression the MDX is tuned just a little differently and needs the higher octane to take advantage of the power.

This bring up a second question though, Will the Pilot get better gas mileage if you use the premium gas? I can't imagine it would hurt since you are suggested to use premium when towing.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Is there better performance when using higher octane gas?

·
Registered
26 Posts
My salesperson claimed that I would get 5 more horsepower if I used premium, but I don't know if that is accurate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. So am I taking it right that the owner's manual does not state premium gas required? Quite honestly this would be a deal breaker for me, I refuse to fork out 30 cents extra per gallon every time I fill up. I test drove the Pilot the other day and loved it but this is where I draw the line.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
What Honda (not teh dealer) says

The Pilot uses regular gas.
Premium is recommended for towing.

My guess is premium might give a slight performance boost, but so little and so infrequent it would probably not be noticed.
It will only help[ when the engine is opperated near the edge of knocking. Such as high temps, high altitude, heavy loads, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was told that the MDX recommends premium gas in order to meet the higher emissions standards but regular gas can be used.

·
Registered
481 Posts
who can afford premium these days? I stick with the regular and the car runs fine . .. still get pretty good gas mileage, compared to my previous car, a pick-up.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Running with a higher octane gas will/should not improve performance, and even if it did improve your MPG, it wouldn't get close to improving it enough to make up for the extra you have to pay to buy premium gas.

Too many people do not understand this and waste tons of money each year buying premium gas when it provides no benefits. Just because it costs more doesn't always mean it is better. It isn't worse, but it isn't necessary. This isn't to say that you may not need Premium gas. If you have excessive knocking, then you need to increase the octane. If it isn't knocking, your wasting your money.

Here is a quote I found on a couple of sites (such as EPA's site http://www.epa.gov/otaq/18-youdo.htm):

"Octane is a measure of how much a fuel can be compressed in an engine before it spontaneously combusts. It is not a measure of fuel power or quality. Only a small percentage of vehicles require high-octane gasoline for optimum performance (these are generally turbo-charged or high-performance vehicles). Check your owner's manual to see what type of fuel is recommended for your car. Unless your car needs high-octane gasoline, use of "premium" will not improve performance or emissions - it will just cost you more."

·
Registered
82 Posts
b737gearboy,

The Pilot and MDX engines are set up a little different and Yes Honda says use Premium for the MDX and Regular for the Pilot. That's the only opinion you need....so go get your pilot.

BTW..the Pilot's setup is very close to the Odysey (closer than the MDX) and Honda has always recommended Regular for it and people have been running on that for years!

...steve

ps...R_hammel is right, some people throw away money on "premium" gas just because they think it will give their "regular" car, Premium performance...not

·
Registered
236 Posts
Gas

We have a dealer here that offers mid-grade (91 octane) for the price of regular (87 octane) twice a week. I always make sure to fill up on one of those two days.

I know you don't need it, but to get it for the same price as regular is worth it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thought I would check this site out, while waiting for acuramdx.org to come back up. I guess the number of posts is not transferrable between sites

I wanted to metion that in actuality regular fuel burns slightly more efficiently than premium. That is why you would never use premium thinking you will gain MPG. You burn premium because the engine is designed/tuned to use premium.

·
Registered
39 Posts
b737gearboy said:
I read a review on Edmunds.com that said the MDX requires premium gas. Since the Pilot has the same engine I was wondering if this is really true. :confused:
Well, here is what the 2003 Pilot Owner's Manual (31S9V600 00X31-S9v-6000) says:

Page 216: "Gasoline: your Honda is designed to operate on unleaded gasoline with a pump octane number of 86 or higher. Use of a lower octane gasoline can cause a persistent, heavy metallic rapping noise in the engine that can lead to mechanical damage."

"Premium fuel is recommended when towing in certain conditions"

Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
davisdog said:
b737gearboy,

"The Pilot and MDX engines are set up a little different and Yes Honda says use Premium for the MDX and Regular for the Pilot. That's the only opinion you need....so go get your pilot."

Excellent advice, Davisdog!

Just to dispel any contrary false rumors, here is exactly what the Pilot's 2003 Owner's Manual has to say about fuel:

At Page 216: "Gasoline: your Honda is designed to operate on unleaded gasoline with a pump octane number of 86 or higher. Use of a lower octane gasoline can cause a persistent, heavy metallic rapping noise in the engine that can lead to mechanical damage."

"We recommend gasolines containing detergent additives that help prevent fuel system and engine deposits.

"Using gasoline containing lead will damage your vehicle’s emissions controls. This contributes to air pollution."

"Premium fuel is recommended when towing in certain conditions (see page 256)."

At Page 217 "In Cananda, some gasolines contain an octane-enhancing additive called MMT. If yo use such gasolines, your emission control system performance may deteriorate and the Malfunction Indicator Lamp on your instrument panel may turn on. If this happens, contact your authorized Honda dealer for service.”

At Page 256 “Towing performance can be affected by high altitude, high temperature, or climbing steep grades. Therefore, premium fuel is recommended when towing more than 3,500 lbs.”

Back Page Service information summary:
“Gasoline: Unleaded gasoline, pump octane number of 86 or higher.”

:cool:

·
Registered
262 Posts
I wonder

The fact that Honda suggests to use
Premium gas when towing a heavy load
(i.e. under severe driving conditions) can only
mean one thing -- the engine will indeed generate
more power on Premium. And the only way that's
possible is if the Pilot is actually tuned to use
the Premium. When Regular is used, the knock sensor
along with the ECU advance/retract the timing to
compensate, at a cost of some minimum power loss
(which, Honda figured, most of the target customers will live
with as long as they don't
have to shell out extra cash at the gas station.
Acura is less of a compromise, again, due to the different
target customer base).
Anyway, this is my theory.
So don't knock those Premium users right of the bet.:2:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Maybe, or Maybe not

Don't count on the more power.
Maybe the engine only has a tendency to knock when it atempts to deliver full power at elevated opperating temperatures.
Since we know Honda wants extra coolers for towing, "due to higher underhood tempertures" (as Honda has said), it might be only under these conditions that premium is of any value.

The target customer aspect is likely also a factor. As I have read studies that show people expect a performance vehicle to use premium gas, even if it does not require it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
MDX does require Premium according to the owner's manual.

Pilot does not require Premium according to owner's manual [probably good idea when pulling heavy load as suggested in the Pilot owner's manual].

Soooooo:

** Run regular and enjoy it!

** This is one MDX feature that you are lucky you did not inherit!!

** At least one MDX owner is jealous -- that's me in case you can't tell!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts