Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Is it necessary to use premium gas for Honda Pilot ?
From the Toyota's owner website, the following link suggested that even for Sienna, V6 Camry and V6 Highlander(current models), it is recommended to use premium grade gas :
http://toyota.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/toyota.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=5KTPSeLg&p_lva=185&p_faqid=185&p_created=990208592&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD11bmxlYWRlZCZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPTQmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9fmFueX4mcF9wcm9kX2x2bDI9fmFueX4mcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=

This seems to lead me to conclude that most V6 engine would be recommended to use premium gas, how about Honda cars ?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
pwm88 said:

This seems to lead me to conclude that most V6 engine would be recommended to use premium gas, how about Honda cars ?
It has nothing to do with the number (4, 6, 8) of cylinders or the layout (V, Strait, Flat). It has to do with the design of the engine, compression ratio, combustions chamber design, fuel and ignition control, etc.

The Pilot uses regular gas with a recommendation for premium for towing.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Toyota recommends premium for the V6 Highlander, and Honda recommends regular, or premium for towing, as others have posted. As a current Pilot owner and former Highlander owner, my experience is that the Pilot runs just fine on regular, and the Highlander really does need premium to get the best performance and gas mileage.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Our dealer recommended regular as well and premium for towing as everyone has stated. Premium for around town would be a waste of money imo.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: Re: premium gas ?

N_Jay said:

The Pilot uses regular gas with a recommendation for premium for towing.
So is carrying a bike or two on a hitch carrier considered towing?

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Re: Re: premium gas ?

florida_guy said:

No more so than carrying a passenger in the back seat!!!

;)

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: premium gas ?

colorider said:

No more so than carrying a passenger in the back seat!!!
;)
Even some of the people that kemo has posted pictures of. :D

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: premium gas ?

florida_guy said:

Even some of the people that kemo has posted pictures of. :D
Well, in an EX-L, the third row is vinyl, so there would be no permanent stains from RipRock's antics. And no difference in the "Tongue Weight."

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Re: Re: Re: premium gas ?

florida_guy said:

Not unless they're motorbikes. :D

Towing is, as in towing a trailer. You may need to resort to a higher octane with heavy loads such as packing up the whole family for a trip with all their stuff and going up some steep hills/mountains, but probably not for one or the other. Basically, if it runs good on regular, stick with it.

I;ve known a lot of people who get a new car and figure they're "treating" it to a better fuel by putting in premium. That's a mistake. If the engine isn't designed for premium, you're not only wasting money, you may get poorer mileage because it may run richer. If you get it "used" to premium, you'll have to always use premium. Sometimes you may have to switch to premium as the car ages so you might as well wait.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: premium gas ?

jay said:

Well, in an EX-L, the third row is vinyl, so there would be no permanent stains from RipRock's antics. And no difference in the "Tongue Weight."
Daggone RipRocK and his antics... first, he takes a dump in his underwear, then he pees in his pants, and finally, he's caught whacking off with his left hand as his "friend" is watching -- what's next for our favorite Edmonton Piloteer...??? :D

·
Registered
518 Posts
Our Pilot runs well on 87 octane. Our 99 Prelude will ping and run sluggish on 87 octane. On 91-93 octane the Prelude runs great. Owners manual for Prelude says to use 91 or higher octane. I think you need to follow the manual and use 87 octane for the Pilot unless you just like to throw money away.

·
Registered
25 Posts
octane

I think very few people really understand what the difference is between regular grade and premium grade gasoline. There is a great explanation at howstuffworks.com

Do a search on OCTANE when you get there.

If you haven't been there before, you're going to like this site. :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
This is a interesting topic.

Using high octane gasoline itself can't boost horsepower without other modifcation. The fact, chemical that controls octane level contain very little additional energy in its bond.
So to benefit from high octane gas, you need to run with higher compression ratio; or higher turbo/sc boost. Which we don't have. So fill with high octane gas is just waste money.

You think, yeah, we all know that from reading howstuffworks.com

Wait, there is an exception.... timing. Run with higher octane gas will lower your chance ECU need to retard your timing. which maintains engine's performance, not exactly gaining. That explain why Honda tell us to use 91 when tow.

Or, I don't know how to do it yet, we can advance our timing which will give you more power at high rpm. However, it might also give you knocking at lower rpm. This is when high octane gas come in and help. The experience based on Z is we can probably gain 10% more power by advance timing and use 91 gas. I probably can adjust crank sensor to advance timing.

Do I plan to do this on my pilot? No! Why? Remember, the power gain only appear at higher rpm. Our AT gear box isn't favoring that.

·
Registered
189 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
So the ECU adjusts the timing according to the octane used? If this is similar to the ECU in the accord, using higher octane nets the 7th gen accord V6 users about 10hp and 10tq from running higher grade gas. This has been dyno proven by a couple users on the accord v6 boards. A dyno would be the only way to really tell though.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
KRiS1 said:
So the ECU adjusts the timing according to the octane used? If this is similar to the ECU in the accord, using higher octane nets the 7th gen accord V6 users about 10hp and 10tq from running higher grade gas. This has been dyno proven by a couple users on the accord v6 boards. A dyno would be the only way to really tell though.
10HP is in the error range in a 240 hp engine.:rolleyes:

20% more cost all the time for 4% more power only at full throttle. :confused:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Odyssey Horsepower

The 2002 Odyssey manual specifically states 240 HP with premium, 210 HP with regular. I don't know what that has to do with the Pilot though....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts