Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There appears to be a couple of different options out there for disabling the VCM on a Gen 3 Pilot.

Which is the preferred VCM disabler and why?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
S-VCM here as it automatically bypasses when the coolant temp reaches 205°F so that the fans and overheat warnings will operate as designed. It is also plug and play and can be removed quickly if desired and requires no modifications to the OEM wiring. Service from the vendor was excellent too.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have VCM Tuner II Advanced installed on my 2 Hondas. Same features as S-VCM...it's an electronically controlled module that manipulates the ECT1 coolant temp output to the ECU. It has an overheat bypass to ensure fans and dash temp gauge work normally when the car starts to overheat. It also has the idle-relearn procedure mode that you get with the S-VCM "Custom" (hence the extra $20 price). Both are highly effective.

I would avoid the older resistor-based "muzzlers" as they don't offer any overheat protection if you end up with an unexpected cooling problem. You'd never know you had a problem until you had steam coming from under the hood. Also, unlike the old muzzlers you never have to adjust these seasonally if you live in a place with 4 seasons.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Although I don't have one of the "smart" muzzlers yet, I do planning on buying one. I have and use the VCMuzzler II right now and although it works, I have to switch resisters in the winter and again in the summer. This seems to be common with some vehicles and climates. The "smart" muzzlers overcome this.

·
Registered
180 Posts
S-VCM here as it automatically bypasses when the coolant temp reaches 205°F so that the fans and overheat warnings will operate as designed. It is also plug and play and can be removed quickly if desired and requires no modifications to the OEM wiring. Service from the vendor was excellent too.
Well, all models are all plug and play and don't require splicing into anything.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I was told by the person that answers email at the company (RQ?) that it bypasses at 230F. I'm hoping it's lower but not necessarily as low as 205F. 212F would be nice.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
I was told by the person that answers email at the company (RQ?) that it bypasses at 230F. I'm hoping it's lower but not necessarily as low as 205F. 212F would be nice.
It mentions 205°F on their website but I haven't tested it yet.😲

·
Registered
813 Posts
The normal S-VCM doesn't have a box that you have to attach somewhere. The S-VCM custom and the VCM Tuner 2 both have a box so you'll have to find a place to mount it. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
There appears to be a couple of different options out there for disabling the VCM on a Gen 3 Pilot.

Which is the preferred VCM disabler and why?

Thanks everyone!
Joined in '17, and asking that question. OK

Even if if it is at 230F- no biggie on a closed system w/ Anti freeze/boilover in it. a motor at 230F is just hot. Not overheating.
They like to run them at about 1905-200F anyways. Pure water boils at 212F. I don't think your coolant would boil at 212F. And if it did- closed system, etc.

The normal S-VCM doesn't have a box that you have to attach somewhere. The S-VCM custom and the VCM Tuner 2 both have a box so you'll have to find a place to mount it. Just my 2 cents.
I recently put a new, SVCM on my 08, and 15 Pilots.
I don't know about a 'box' on the SVCM. The little module thingie that has a wire that has a wire that hooks to the 12V lead? Super small- super low draw, and voltage.
It comes with more then enough zip ties to just zip it to the wire harness in the area.
EZ install.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Antifreeze/coolant does very little to raise the boiling point of water.......it’s that 16 psi radiator cap that raises the boiling point.

This thread is getting interesting.....hope feedback continues.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Even if if it is at 230F- no biggie on a closed system w/ Anti freeze/boilover in it. a motor at 230F is just hot. Not overheating.
They like to run them at about 1905-200F anyways. Pure water boils at 212F. I don't think your coolant would boil at 212F. And if it did- closed system, etc.
Right, I wasn't concerned about the coolant boiling in a closed working system. However, if things are getting hotter than normal, it could because the system isn't closed anymore, like a leaking radiator hose, loose radiator cap, well you get the idea. So if I'm monitoring coolant temp and interesting in overheating due to system failure of some sort ... 212F seemed like a good point to have rising temps more visible on the gauge.
I recently put a new, SVCM on my 08, and 15 Pilots.
I don't know about a 'box' on the SVCM. The little module thingie that has a wire that has a wire that hooks to the 12V lead? Super small- super low draw, and voltage.
It comes with more then enough zip ties to just zip it to the wire harness in the area.
EZ install.
Me too. But I believe one of the options on the "Custom" version of the S-VCM is a hot warning buzzer. I guess that along with more electronics requires a box bigger than that little encapsulated "module thingie."

·
Registered
438 Posts
Right, I wasn't concerned about the coolant boiling in a closed working system. However, if things are getting hotter than normal, it could because the system isn't closed anymore, like a leaking radiator hose, loose radiator cap, well you get the idea. So if I'm monitoring coolant temp and interesting in overheating due to system failure of some sort ... 212F seemed like a good point to have rising temps more visible on the gauge.
VCM Tuner II claims to use 212F as the override temp.
HOW IT WORKS – VCMTUNER

·
Registered
813 Posts

Me too. But I believe one of the options on the "Custom" version of the S-VCM is a hot warning buzzer. I guess that along with more electronics requires a box bigger than that little encapsulated "module thingie."
I think to install the buzzer thing you’ll have to go through the firewall. It would be useless to have a buzzer outside your car.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Antifreeze/coolant does very little to raise the boiling point of water.......it’s that 16 psi radiator cap that raises the boiling point.

This thread is getting interesting.....hope feedback continues.
This isn't true. Water's boiling point is 100 C = 212 F. Straight ethylene glycol's boiling point is at 197.3 C = 387 F. So A mix is somewhere in between and raises the boiling point of water.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
This isn't true. Water's boiling point is 100 C = 212 F. Straight ethylene glycol's boiling point is at 197.3 C = 387 F. So A mix is somewhere in between and raises the boiling point of water.
Thanks for pointing out 100% antifreeze. Once mixed, by how much is it raised?......not much. The pressure cap does the most to raise the boiling point in an automotive cooling system.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks for pointing out 100% antifreeze. Once mixed, by how much is it raised?......not much. The pressure cap does the most to raise the boiling point in an automotive cooling system.
The point is that it actually does raise the boiling point. With a 30/70 mixture of water and ethylene glycol, the boiling point rises to 235°F. Antifreeze in this case is a misnomer. It's a coolant.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
What are the numbers with the factory mix?

·
Registered
29 Posts
So let me get this straight. Y'all are worried about Hondas Cylinder Deactivation technology some 18 years or so after it was implemented. And the though is it still will lead to costly engine repairs. And the fix is devices that give false coolant temp to the engine. SMDH

I'm begining to wonder if Hondas reputation is the emperor's clothes. Seriously I bought a Honda for the wife as it's what she wanted without knowing anything about Honda. Im begining to think I should have convinced her to let us dance with the devil we knew.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts