Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Pre purchase help rust?

971 5
I went to take a look at 2015 pilot that i am interested. Pilot is like new inside and out body, has 100 thousand km some images underneath what do you think and I look at car fax it only has one service history at Honda at 91 thousand I’m transfer case fluid flush and changed and it say maintenance inspection complete.

i circled in red of my concern I am not export just diy guy

More images on google drive

HERE ARE SOME IMAGES thanks guys

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2007 EX 4WD
432 Posts
Doesn't look bad to me at all. I live in the frozen north where salting roads are common, and I wouldn't worry about anything you posted. But maybe someone will catch something I missed.

I'm not sure about that year, but the earlier Pilots sure had a spot prone to rot where the subframe is bolted to the rear axle carrier brace. I would be curious about what that looks like.

Maybe an undercoating would slow the rot. Something like woolwax, Fluid Film, NH undercoatings, etc.

· Super Moderator
5,232 Posts
Most of the rusty areas in the pics could effectively be treated with FF, WW etc to slow or stop rust progression but one pic looks concerning which may be an overlap of metal as opposed to a crack. As mentioned another area to focus on is the unibody cross member that supports the rear subframe.
Jaw Wood Gas Metal Automotive exterior

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most of the rusty areas in the pics could effectively be treated with FF, WW etc to slow or stop rust progression but one pic looks concerning which may be an overlap of metal as opposed to a crack. As mentioned another area to focus on is the unibody cross member that supports the rear subframe. View attachment 157597

here is a comparison

Attachments

· Super Moderator
5,232 Posts
Ok looks like overlapped metal part of the unibody. Some preventative treatment should help to control those rusty areas. Be sure to inspect the rear unibody cross member where the rear subframe bolts onto.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.