Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're handing down our 2012 Touring to our daughter and bought a 2019 Elite today. We had the factory chrome-trimmed running boards on the '12 and need something for the new one. I'd like to get power steps if I can find something that fits the Pilot.

I did a search and didn't come up with anything. Has anyone done this yet?

·
Registered
11 Posts
No aftermarket power-step running boards have hit the market yet. Also, I strongly advice against purchasing any type of “universal fit kits”. 9 times of 10, they don’t fit and/or require extensive modifications.

Always go OEM whenever possible. I have factory lighted running boards, I think the make the car look lower to the ground and sportier.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. It appears you are 100% correct, no specific fit. I know better than to go with those universal kits. I think we'll go for the factory lighted ones.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you are just looking for regular running boards. do a quick search on these forums, there was a thread with lots of discussion on after market ones which fit better than the OEM ones. Some folks have complained about the OEM versions with the Chrome developing rust relatively quickly. If I could do it over again, I would've probably went aftermarket and gotten the longer versions.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are just looking for regular running boards. do a quick search on these forums, there was a thread with lots of discussion on after market ones which fit better than the OEM ones. Some folks have complained about the OEM versions with the Chrome developing rust relatively quickly. If I could do it over again, I would've probably went aftermarket and gotten the longer versions.
Thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update.I am going with the Aries AeroTread 70-Inch Black Stainless. Total price installed is $475, getting them done next Saturday 9/14.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just an update.I am going with the Aries AeroTread 70-Inch Black Stainless. Total price installed is $475, getting them done next Saturday 9/14.
Happy to hear man... I got the OEM ones on my 2016 pilot, but at that time I didn't want to be experimental and get non-OEM... but if I had known that these after markets were actually not going to be too bad... I would've went that route...

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I like the fact that they have three support brackets per side versus the Honda OEM having two. I'll post pictures when it's all done.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the Aries AeroTread boards installed today. They are solid and look great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Where is everyone finding a good deal? Cheapest I can find is $402 free shipping. But I guess that is better than $100 shipping for Honda ones.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where is everyone finding a good deal? Cheapest I can find is $402 free shipping. But I guess that is better than $100 shipping for Honda ones.
That's basically what I paid for these Aries boards. Local shop basically price-matched Amazon, and on top of that I paid a fair price for the installation labor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are the Aries lighted? Looks like not but you mentioned you were interested in that.

Did you see the 3 mount points? If it looks clean and you feel it is more stable, I might go this route over OEM lighted version.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are the Aries lighted? Looks like not but you mentioned you were interested in that.

Did you see the 3 mount points? If it looks clean and you feel it is more stable, I might go this route over OEM lighted version.
They are not lighted. I scrapped that idea after reading about problems some folks had. It seemed like an unnecessary complication.

I just went out and snapped a few quick pics of the mounting brackets on the driver side. It's too dark to see the attachment to the body, as I had to use the front camera on my phone (no flash).

They are located, as one would expect, front, center, and rear. The front one is directly below the side mirror, the center is right at the gap between the front and rear doors, and the rear one is about 2/3 of the way back on the rear door.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I added the die cast running boards. They attach in 3 places underneath and are super grippy.

Hopefully the pictures help, very easy job, only needed a little helper.

Having little kids I didn't want anyone slipping, I'm definitely very happy with the look and the function.

Note... I have lightly scratched my ankles and possibly pulled a few hairs out on the die cast getting out of the vehicle while wearing shorts.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They look great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
They are not lighted. I scrapped that idea after reading about problems some folks had. It seemed like an unnecessary complication.

I just went out and snapped a few quick pics of the mounting brackets on the driver side. It's too dark to see the attachment to the body, as I had to use the front camera on my phone (no flash).

They are located, as one would expect, front, center, and rear. The front one is directly below the side mirror, the center is right at the gap between the front and rear doors, and the rear one is about 2/3 of the way back on the rear door.

View attachment 132915 View attachment 132916 View attachment 132917
Would you say the step boards sit high enough to defend door dings from 4 door sedans (front doors, not rear due to "arch" shape)? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Would you say the step boards sit high enough to defend door dings from 4 door sedans (front doors, not rear due to "arch" shape)? Thanks.
My other car is an Avalon. I'll park it next to the Pilot when I get a chance and see how things line up, then get back to you on that.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you,Tourist2012 (y)
OK. So, here's the deal... I parked my Avalon next to the 2012 Pilot this morning before our daughter left with it. The door of my Avalon contacts the bodyside molding and just clears the running board.

After she left, I then parked next to the 2019 and found the same thing. It clears the running board and the door contacts the Pilot right where the bodyside molding would be.

I bought the molding for the 2019 but haven't installed it yet. Looks like I need to get on that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts