Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I managed to close my power liftgate on my wife's head. I hit the open button seconds after she had already hit the button on the door. My open canceled hers part way through, and brought the hatch down on her.

So I'm wondering how this is supposed to work. before this, when we have saved anything in the way of the tailgate, it has seemed to sense it, and abort its progress. That's what is supposed to happen, right? Does anyone know where these "autoreverse" sensors are? Is there a way to reset them? Any way I can test the system to make sure this is working as designed? Just kinda want to keep my family as much intact as possible...

All advice appreicated!

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,872 Posts
When the liftgate meets a significant amount of resistance then it will reverse itself. I'm hazarding a guess here that the resistance it met with the wife head was not enough to trigger the door to reverse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When the liftgate meets a significant amount of resistance then it will reverse itself. I'm hazarding a guess here that the resistance it met with the wife head was not enough to trigger the door to reverse.
Clearly, you have not met my wife!! Oh man. I enjoyed that a little more than probably I should have. Thank you. :)

But in all seriousness, we both have waved stuff, including ourselves, under the hatch before, and had it stop. Doesn’t appear to now...

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Mine stops only when it contacts something. There is no non-contact auto-reversing method available in the system.

And, voice of experience here... No amount of discussion, reasoning, explanation or demonstration will ever convince her that you weren't trying to decapitate her with the power hatch. "Demonstration" includes the root words "demon" and "rat", but it still might be worthwhile showing her that there are no non-contact safety stops or motion reverse functions available at the lid. The gas cylinders that carry the actual weight of the hatch lid offer slightly less lift when cold, so the amount of actual pressure on her noggin might have been a little higher than it would have been in summer. That should buy you a lot... not.

Seriously, the lid should stop when it meets minor resistance either opening or closing. Give it a try in a controlled circumstance, maybe showing how finger pressure will cause it to stop. More likely a bounce on the head was due to moving head striking the lid vs. moving lid striking the head.

Throw a couple aspirin in the tank and call me in the morning of the condition persists. ;)

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,872 Posts
I'm going to hazard a guess here and suggest that when the tailgate touched her head, she immediately reacted to it and ducked out of the way, minimizing the contact. If she had stood her ground the hatch would have reversed itself. It would have messed up her hair, but it would have reversed itself. 😆

I know that on an occasion or two when I have not got something quite all the way inside the cargo area the hatch will contact it then reverse itself opening all the way up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, folks!

A few things I have noticed, upon further investigation:

- It seems to require fairly significant force to cause an interrupt to the system. I do like your theory, @Daltongang. That’s very likely a significant factor here. But is it possible, too, that something has changed, rendering it less sensitive than it perhaps should be?

- There appear to be two sensors on the hatch door; one at each bottom corner. (Could be this part?: 74934-SZA-A01). Could those be what used to cause the door to stop, if we waved our arms beneath it, whilst closing was underway? Or are we actually delusional?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The aspirin have indeed improved matters, as prescribed. Thank you for that, doc.

Will use that gas cylinder angle as well. Worth a shot! May not buy much, but it’s not like I have anything, at all, to lose, at this point.

I’m still stuck on this sensor angle though, but maybe I shouldn’t be. Are there fuses somewhere I should check or reset? Might that re-enable them, if that’s what they do? Or, at the very least, make the system itself more sensitive, so it stops a little faster next time?

Thank you, @dr bob, for your many good thoughts!!

Mine stops only when it contacts something. There is no non-contact auto-reversing method available in the system.

And, voice of experience here... No amount of discussion, reasoning, explanation or demonstration will ever convince her that you weren't trying to decapitate her with the power hatch. "Demonstration" includes the root words "demon" and "rat", but it still might be worthwhile showing her that there are no non-contact safety stops or motion reverse functions available at the lid. The gas cylinders that carry the actual weight of the hatch lid offer slightly less lift when cold, so the amount of actual pressure on her noggin might have been a little higher than it would have been in summer. That should buy you a lot... not.

Seriously, the lid should stop when it meets minor resistance either opening or closing. Give it a try in a controlled circumstance, maybe showing how finger pressure will cause it to stop. More likely a bounce on the head was due to moving head striking the lid vs. moving lid striking the head.

Throw a couple aspirin in the tank and call me in the morning of the condition persists. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts