Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Pilot exl awd 165000. For about a year the steering is rather stiff when stationary and at very low speeds. No noise. No loss of power steering fluid. Stiff steering has not improved or worsened over about a year. My question is how do I diagnose/fix the cause? What are the things I should so, likely increasing in complexity and cost, to determine the issue? TIA.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Replacing the fluid is the least costly (also part of maintaining your car) at this time. Buy a big syringe (20 cc or more) or a turkey baster. Suck the old fluid out and put fresh fluid in.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,931 Posts
Adding to what Beato1 said you’ll need to do that about four or five times, driving a few miles in between and making some turns, to get a decent fluid replenishment.

If you want to hasten the process what I do is sidewind down my street, hitting each steering wheel lock five or six times on each side, then going back to the garage for a fluid removal and replacement. Repeat four times. Don’t hold the steering wheel at the either lock for more than a second or two as this is harsh on the pump.

Reactions: silberfarb
1 - 3 of 3 Posts