Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting a whine out of my power steering. Fluid was a little on the low side so I added some and turned back and forth to bleed, but no change. I did notice some air bubbles in the reservoir so I’m guessing air.

Searching the internet for Honda power steering whine brings up potentially this being o-rings on the high and low pressure hoses starting to leak. Since I’m not leaking any fluid, I find it strange that I’m sucking in air, but not leaking anywhere.

Unless anyone has ideas, I think I will change the o-rings and if necessary the power steering pump.

Anyone report power steering pump problems on this gen Honda Pilot?

This really is my first unexpected maintenance item so I can’t complain too loudly.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
May as well admit my boneheaded move.....

Went down to Honda and bought the o-rings. Came home and started trying to figure out how to remove the low pressure(suction) line and decided that it was probably much easier if I just removed the pulley first to give me room.

As I adjusted the valves a couple weeks ago and had the pulley off, I knew it really wasn’t very difficult. I put a wrench on the pulley bolt and immediately discovered it was loose....not even finger tight..... Then I remembered.....putting it back together after adjusting valves, I thought it would be easier to tighten snug after the belt was on. Then I struggled to get the darn belt on and after that forgot to tighten the pulley bolt.

Tightened it and the noise went away....duh...

Anyone need o-rings?

·
Registered
713 Posts
You admitted it, now you get good karma from the car repair gods for a while...

It's nice when it turns out to be something simple, then it's time to grab a cold beer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
May as well admit my boneheaded move.....

Went down to Honda and bought the o-rings. Came home and started trying to figure out how to remove the low pressure(suction) line and decided that it was probably much easier if I just removed the pulley first to give me room.

As I adjusted the valves a couple weeks ago and had the pulley off, I knew it really wasn’t very difficult. I put a wrench on the pulley bolt and immediately discovered it was loose....not even finger tight..... Then I remembered.....putting it back together after adjusting valves, I thought it would be easier to tighten snug after the belt was on. Then I struggled to get the darn belt on and after that forgot to tighten the pulley bolt.

Tightened it and the noise went away....duh...

Anyone need o-rings?
Do you have the part numbers? I'm having the same whine and haven't touched the belts or pulley, and everything feels tight. Do see some air in the reservoir, so my thought is these O-rings need replacing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had my o-ring replaced on my ps pump a while back due to a leak I didn't even know I had. The place that told me about the leak wanted to charge $400 for a ps rebuild kit plus labor. My normal mechanic was like it's just an o-ring, and charged their $99 diagnostic fee and fixed it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts