Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 Pilot with 170k on it. The power steering pump makes a loud rattling noise when you have the car in gear and turn the wheel at idle speed. The reservoir has bubbles in it after the pump makes its rattling noise. I have replaced the O rings on the lines going in and out of the pump and changed the fluid. Still makes the noise along with the air in the system. Does anyone have any suggestions or had similar issues to this? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Did you use the ps fluid specified in the manual?

Did you properly bleed the air out of the system after you replaced the o rings and fluid?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Rattling is a sign of a worn PS pump, or a slipping PS drive belt. First check the belt tension. If the steering is still working but is noisy, I suggest that you refresh the power steering fluid using a Honda approved type, and keep driving. If the rattle continues and gets worse, you are looking at replacing the pump with a new or rebuilt unit.

To refresh the fluid, use a turkey baster to empty the reservoir, then refill with new fluid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Road2cycle what is the proper way to bleed the air out? Doesn’t it make its way out as it cycles through the reservoir?
STMech: the power steering works fine, it just makes a lot of noise and you can feel it in the steering wheel when you turn. I have replaced some of the fluid but I haven’t done a full blown PS fluid flush. Beings I have air in the system is confusing to me. Where is it coming from.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Jack the front end up and place on jackstands, with the rear wheels chocked. With engine off turn steering wheel lock to lock 15 times. If that doesn’t do it, perform the same procedure with the engine on while in park. Don’t hold the steering wheel at the locks for more than a second or two while the engine is on otherwise you run the risk of operating the pump dry.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have the same issue. I have replaced the fluid and the pump and it still makes a grumbling sound. In my case I believe it is in the rack somewhere but I don't even want to tackle that job.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mine does this at idle and is slowly getting worse. 2011 with 107k. We never noticed it until I changed the timing belt. I am curious if it might be related to the new accessory belt, or the accessory belt tensioner. No bubbles in the reservoir.

I replaced the fluid 3 times with fresh Honda fluid, and replaced the reservoir. No difference. Just a shudder when turning at idle. With any additional RPM's it does not happen.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Here's my guess--and it's only a guess--if the suction side of the PS pump is leaking, and air is getting into the system, then that can be the cause of the rattling pump. If you have fixed the suction side, no air in the system, then you are looking at wear in the pump, and eventual replacement

·
Registered
36 Posts
remove the accessory belt and spin the idler and tensioner pulleys by hand. Check for roughness. Also try and wobble them, if there is runout, you may need new pulleys or a whole new tensioner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just replaced the PS pump, new fluid again. Still makes the rattling sound from the pump. No whining, just rattling at idle speed in drive or reverse while turning the wheel.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just replaced the PS pump, new fluid again. Still makes the rattling sound from the pump. No whining, just rattling at idle speed in drive or reverse while turning the wheel.
I have done the same and it's still there as well. I'm going to be changing the tensioner and pulleys tomorrow when the parts get here. It does sound like it could be coming from there. I'll update when I do and see if it improves for me. If this doesn't do it, it has to be in the steering rack.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just to update. I replaced the belt tensioner and my noise is now gone! Thanks to those that suggested it!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just to update. I replaced the belt tensioner and my noise is now gone! Thanks to those that suggested it!

What brand of tensioner did you use and where did you get it?

I've been hearing this same power steering noise for a long time with my Pilot, probably about 5-6 years ago when there were only 50K miles on it. I'm just over 100K now and the noise hasn't gotten worse, although it's still there and pretty unpleasant. My tensioner is noisy on cold startup too so I've been wanting to replace it. I'll post an update if that fixes anything for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts